Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 8,967,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post

But my husband's parents are dysfunctional and so is my family (drunks)
Sounds like my situation, my mom and my brother live to annoy, most of my wife's family are drunks. On the flip side the bright spots are my wife's youngest sister, my daughter and son in law.

I lost my favorite aunt and cousin a year ago, it's a shame they lived so far away and I never got to see them more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 11:31 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
Most of them, yes.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:42 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,286,691 times
Quote:
This will sound bad, but it's like swallowing a bitter pill for me (and him, he calls it 'brutal'). It's completely obligatory for both of us with certain family members.

But my husband's parents are dysfunctional and so is my family (drunks) so it's difficult for many reasons. I feel like I drag my body over there. This will also sound bad, but I really wish our next move was at a distance where we didn't have to visit so much.

Anyone else? Why or why not?
I enjoy visiting most of my biological relatives that I grew up with and know well. I do not like most of the in laws and relatives' new girlfriends/boyfriends. A few in laws are cool people that I like but, most I wish did not exist. The ones I dislike are just people I would never associate with...they're now in families' homes but have to be polite

Old 03-05-2015, 04:22 AM

23,265 posts, read 29,113,630 times
I love visiting my family members, but not less than every 10 years!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:03 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,917,126 times
Quote:
This will sound bad, but it's like swallowing a bitter pill for me (and him, he calls it 'brutal'). It's completely obligatory for both of us with certain family members.

But my husband's parents are dysfunctional and so is my family (drunks) so it's difficult for many reasons. I feel like I drag my body over there. This will also sound bad, but I really wish our next move was at a distance where we didn't have to visit so much.

Anyone else? Why or why not?
Careful what you wish for. Once you move far away, when you visit it will most likely be for days at a time, staying with family 24-7. Better to just make that Sunday afternoon one or two hour visit, IMO.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:33 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,801,766 times
Haven't seen any of my extended family since I was 17. I went to visit my mother last year, decent visit, just wish she didn't live in God forsaken Kentucky. She wants to move closer to my area, if it works out, I won't object to visiting her once a month.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:00 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,126,668 times
I love spending time with my family. There's about 10 of us and that includes nephews and great nieces & nephews.

In the summer, my one sis has a pool and we get together every other Sunday for a pool party. Sometimes we have different food themes like make your own pizza with those Boboli shells and the kids love that. We've done Mexican, Italian, Hoagies and sometimes all appetizers.

We spend all holidays together and me, my 2 sisters and my niece take turns hosting.

My sisters and I try to get together for lunch once a week (doesn't work well in the winter) or sometimes a "girls night out".

I have a bro in another state and we talk every day. One in China and don't hear from him much. The other brother is here, but he's drama.

Mom & Dad died years ago but we always were close with them.

I was lucky to be blessed with a good family.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:14 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,716,012 times
Look at it this way - it's better that you're going there, so you can leave when you want. Worse if they were to come to you.

But maybe you both could talk to counsellors to see if you could develop better ways of interacting.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 AM

152 posts, read 174,446 times
I am having a hard time with it lately; my brother-in-law cheats on my sister-in-law and I know all of the details. I really don't know how I am going to handle myself the next time I see him. I am so grossed out. How do I look at him and treat him like a normal person again? Once a year is plenty for me to see them!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,532,001 times
Default Do you enjoy visiting your family (parents, siblings, children, grandparents, in-laws, etc. )?

Parents, grandparents and in-laws all deceased. Children, stepchildren and grandchildren aplenty. The closest are 700 miles away. Most are 2,000 miles away. Do we enjoy visiting? In moderation, yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships