Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 08:41 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I also don't understand the tip creep, it used to be 10% of bill, then 15% and now people are going 20%? I do the same 10%, it's about what sales tax is. People claim that inflation means you should tip more, how so? the food prices go up with inflation, so the bill goes up too, 10% is still fine as a "standard" tip to me. Again, if it is great service, they get more, but if they want the 10%, they should at least provide "good" service.

That's what I don't understand. Why does the tip percentage increase when the menu prices have increased with inflation?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:57 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Interesting chart. Federal minimum wage for tipped employees is 2.13. States may define tipped employee as they wish (as low as $10 a week in tips- this would not be a waitstaff job obviously, maybe a bagger/carryout at the supermarket?) Some states require tipped employees to be paid the full state minimum wage, others have their own tipped minimum wage, some have a basic combined cash/wage minimum and some do not. In Wyoming that cash/wage minimum is only 5.15 I see. A few states don't have a combined minimum because they have no state minimum wage laws, thus apparently 2.13 is the only wage a tipped employee need ever be paid. It's all a bit confusing.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Old 03-09-2015, 09:17 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
I would only not tip of the service was considerably rude. So far in my years going to restaurants I have never had that happen.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:21 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Attitude of the server.

I have been in places where you could tell the server was overwhelmed and could not humanly keep up. That warrants a big tip and a phone call to the manager for being a poor manager.
I know you meant well, but this will likely actually make things worse for the server. Then they'll get an earful from the manager about how they let their composure slip and should never let it show that they're overwhelmed. One of the tenets of good service is not seeming frazzled to the customer, even when you are. And nobody likes to be "told off" on behalf of an underling - it will always end badly for the underling. If you must take this route, don't reveal which server you dealt with - say that the restaurant seemed badly understaffed that night and that while all of the servers seemed to be doing their very best, you would recommend some changes.

And there are many times when the restaurant being understaffed is nothing that could be helped. There are times that there are only a certain amount of reservations, so only a certain amount of staff is asked to come in, but there's an unexpected flurry of "walk-ins". Or it's just a very popular night to eat out (like a special occasion, or one of the few times a year the theatre next-door has a sold-out show), and even with every single server scheduled, things get a little harried.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:30 AM

50,802 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
I know you meant well, but this will likely actually make things worse for the server. Then they'll get an earful from the manager about how they let their composure slip and should never let it show that they're overwhelmed. One of the tenets of good service is not seeming frazzled to the customer, even when you are. And nobody likes to be "told off" on behalf of an underling - it will always end badly for the underling. If you must take this route, don't reveal which server you dealt with - say that the restaurant seemed badly understaffed that night and that while all of the servers seemed to be doing their very best, you would recommend some changes.

And there are many times when the restaurant being understaffed is nothing that could be helped. There are times that there are only a certain amount of reservations, so only a certain amount of staff is asked to come in, but there's an unexpected flurry of "walk-ins". Or it's just a very popular night to eat out (like a special occasion, or one of the few times a year the theatre next-door has a sold-out show), and even with every single server scheduled, things get a little harried.
Just an aside from someone who used to deliver for Dominos....the drivers had no control over when the pizza was done. On busy nights sometimes we'd get it with only 5 minutes left on the 30 minute guarantee. Other times if they were short, they'd make us take 6 pies meaning 3 are going to be late/cold. I didn't see your old postso not sure why you blame the driver for the pizza being late but usually that's the stores fault not the drivers.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:49 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
I always tip and well. I have known many waiters, and they put up with too much crap. If a server was rude to me, and I mean really rude, then, I would complain.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:58 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went out to two restaurants last night. I frequent the first at least once every other week, sometimes weekly or even twice a week, and received prompt, friendly service, and tipped accordingly. I went to the second establishment to grab a quick beer and was in the bar area on my cell phone, and the server told me to "keep it quiet." I don't think I was excessively loud and wasn't cursing, being rude, etc. I thought he was very rude and left without tipping. I can't remember the last time I was so irritated at the service that I didn't tip.

What makes you want to not tip?
Slow or non-existent service. Went out to eat at a pretty decent steak place last week. After waiting 10 minutes, our waiter finally took our drink order. Then came back to take our drink order. Then again. He never realized either time that he'd already taken it. Never saw him again, until he brought our check and said he'd take it when we were ready (other servers delivered our drinks and food. Nobody checked on us after the food came).

We put a big line through the tip on the bill. They weren't busy, and even if there were, there was no excuse for the HORRIBLE service.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:00 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times
My husband and I want out to lunch and the restaurant was almost empty. We were seated & pretty much ignored the rest of the afternoon. We had to get up & ask for help any time we needed anything. Finally, we had to ask for the check, and it took them so long to give us that my husband suggested leaving without paying. We probably should have, but at the time I said no, we will pay the tab since we did in fact eat. We did not leave a tip.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:12 AM

140 posts, read 168,141 times
I am reading these posts and I am overwhelmed by the misery of people... Some of them say they don't know why they have to tip from the bill amount, some of them say 10% would be enough, some of them say they don't know why the tip percentage went up.... I don't even know where to start to enlighten all of you but let me tell you this... Those servers you stiff, screw and steal from all work two sometimes three jobs. They are teachers, social workers, firemen... They are all people who contribute to this society... Now some of these people have long commute to work and some of them don't even drive, they ride the bus. Most of them are either single parents or married with kids with unemployed husbands at home. These people serve your lousy selves because they cannot afford to give a good life for their families with their main jobs... Now who are you to discuss how much money they make, how many tables they got or how much was their check average? Are you IRS? It is none of your god damn business as it is none of your servers business to know your income. Why do you leave %10 tip knowing the food costs as well as the life expenses of the servers and their children went up over the years? After computer system tips out all bartenders, bussers, food runners and hosts automatically at night what do you think she is going to keep from that %10 "tip" you left after she checks out? ( it is not a choice to not to tip out as some of you ignorants claim) Now I don't understand why would you think this is OK... Is the server in your family or is she doing charity? You all know the system in America that servers in this country are making money of off tips and that's what you are gonna do. Do you have a solution? You don't so you are gonna tip and stop having lame excuses to cut back the tip from these hardworking honorable people who don't rely on obama phone and food stamps. Your job is to enjoy the food, tip and leave. Period! Oh besides when you are here posting comments about how a service should be, were you even nice to your server? When she greeted you did you ask how she was back? Did you look her in the eyes when you ordered or did you keep telling her to come back grouchily? Were you hard to please already? Did you have an attitude? Did you somehow wanted free food? Smh give me a break... I have seen and dealt with all kinds of people in this industry... There is always going to be reasons to screw someone who you think is below you ( she was too friendly, she dropped the check too soon, her voice was annoying etc). Please don't be a piece of ****... If you are not gonna leave a %20 percent tip after a good service learn how to grocery shop and cook a satisfactory meal that you and your entire family enjoys every night and when I say that I am not talking about microwave cooking...Maybe then you would appreciate a nice meal out and save money and tip your server better. If you are gonna eat out, be an honorable person and treat your server with respect and dignity. Some of you said servers should better their lives and have better jobs... Well how about you better your life, get a better job and tip well and become "great clientele" that all the servers and restaurant managers admire and look up to? Instead of coming here worrying about how much money she made, put a smile on her face and contribute to her life as she contributed to yours that you have no clue of because you don't even know who she is. Oh besides you will never know how much money she makes either because you will never know how early she got "cut" ( if you dont know what it means, search it) what kind of section she had and how many top she had in those small hours when restaurant got busy and died out super fast afterwards... Bring in your positivity with you and you will see your entire experience is going to be much better... And don't forget that you are not the only person there she is taking care of so don't judge her performance over unfair reasons...she is not a superwoman, she is human. I really hope this post can make a difference...

Old 03-09-2015, 11:38 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
If the service is unapologetically horrible, or if they're actually rude (in those cases, I've left a penny to drive home the point).

My experiences are usually good though. Usually I leave 20-25% tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.