Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 03:28 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,487,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
But in the meantime, your server is making far less than minimum wage. They didn't create the way the restaurant business is set up. Whether that should change or not is another story.
I don't believe I've ever not left a tip. I may cut it back a bit on rare occasions, but it would take a really astoundingly bad attitude to make me stiff someone.
Well, you can apply the same thing to MW workers like those in McDonalds or Walmart. Should we be tipping them since they make so little? The typical response is to tell them to find better jobs. Sure, MW is higher than MW of those who are expected to get tips. But if the onus is on the customer to pay this out, then you can't really rely on this. Just like with a salaried employee... the only thing that's set is the salary. raises and bonuses have been at the whim of the employer.

And well, that's the thing... if you pay for food without leaving a tip, this isn't illegal. There's nothing the law can do about that. It's not like in some parts of Europe where the tip is built into the fare of the meal. Skip out on that tip, and they can arrest you for not paying for services and goods rendered.

BTW, do people's thoughts on tipping change knowing that the tip goes to a communal jar/pool, as opposed to going directly to your server?

And yes, I've heard accounts from folks who were instructed that any tips they made had to go to a communal pool, to be distributed at the end of the day.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:49 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,517,747 times
Slow service for no reason, and rude waitstaff.

And don't forget the incorrect orders.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:14 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,693,091 times
I don't tip for bad service. However, if a sever is trying but is overwhelmed I'll still tip them well. That being said I feel tipping is out of control.

In the past I've tipped 15 to 20% depending on the service, but after learning that I live in a state where servers make minimum wage I've tappered that down to 10-15%.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:53 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,564,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
In the past I've tipped 15 to 20% depending on the service, but after learning that I live in a state where servers make minimum wage I've tappered that down to 10-15%.
Again, servers in EVERY state has to make federal minimum wage, the lower server one that includes tips is only there as a "base" but if they get no tips, they still have to make the $7.25/hr (I think that is current minimum wage). This is why even McDonald's workers don't make less than that even though they are "food" workers.

Someone said that it's easy for the employer to get around this, that's tax fraud on their part and can/should be reported so it isn't "easy" to get around this point.

On that note, anyone ever tip the server even though the meal was bad, someone above mentioned that they blamed bad food on the cook and not server? But what happens when the server should have known the food was bad by looking at it and not have brought it out, in some cases when it was obviously undercooked. Not sure how I would have felt about getting no food vs bad food quickly though if that would have happened. Would I have blamed the server for bad service of slow food that he can't control, or is it bad service that he knew he was bringing bad food? For me a good server would explain what happened and offered a side or something to keep me occupied vs me complaining to management about a bad meal entirely. Hell, even if they paid it out of pocket, I would probably tip them well enough to cover it if they explained what they were doing.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:41 PM

22,509 posts, read 12,055,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
The thing is, you are filling salt and pepper shakers, etc while you are waiting tables. Its not like you clock in and out on different time cards for that. I even had one manager tell me to get a bucket and start cleaning bricks during the last 5 minutes of my shift, while I was waiting for my last table to leave. That's the mentality you deal with doing restaurant work. They aren't all run by Robert Irvine, and the guy from Uncle Jack's Steak House.

Sure, any of us could have reported not having a base salary - or not making in tips the difference that was required to show minimum wage. In the job with great tips, why would anyone report it, lol? The requirement to report the tips was fine.

In the job where the difference in pay and tips had to equal minimum wage, some did report the situation. The only thing that came of it was them needing new jobs. Otherwise, it was business as usual.
Not necessarily. ^

The Darden Group has had a class action suit filed against it because they were not giving the servers at least minimum wage to do side work. Not all restaurants are the same. Some have servers do the side work either before or after their serving day is done.

Why would anyone report it? Are you serious? You think it's okay to exploit people? So what if the tips were great? That doesn't give the restaurant the right to exploit the staff!

As to those who report "the situation" and are out of work, then they need to push back. They should NOT be put out of work if they are being exploited---unless it forces the despicable restaurant owner to close up shop.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,696,398 times
When you find a fly in your salad!

Old 03-08-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
When you find a fly in your salad!
^That's not the server's fault. It's the fault of the kitchen staff. Why would you punish the server for that?

Old 03-08-2015, 05:50 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,696,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^That's not the server's fault. It's the fault of the kitchen staff. Why would you punish the server for that?
Nah. we did tip the server but he sucked as well.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:28 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,540,196 times
Back in the 80s I left a one penny tip at a Chi Chi's. Total time we spent at our table in the restaurant was 2 1/2 hours. It took 20 minutes for the server to return with our change from paying the bill. Yeah it was busy but not horribly so. Worst service Ive ever had.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Back in the 80s I left a one penny tip at a Chi Chi's. Total time we spent at our table in the restaurant was 2 1/2 hours. It took 20 minutes for the server to return with our change from paying the bill. Yeah it was busy but not horribly so. Worst service Ive ever had.
Did you tell the manager or did you write to or call ChiChi's corporate HQ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships