Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times

Advertisements

I'd like to meet new folks. Sites like Meetup.com used to be great, but the area I'm in is too remote to have more than one event. Everything else is 2 hours away minimum where the large populous areas are.

There are many churches in my area. I've had an acquaintance who started going to church when he was unemployed. Ended up converting to Christianity, met some friends, and even got married in that church, with the wife he met there.

For me, I'm only there to meet people. I have no interest in attending mass (I'd much rather go to other social activities if a church offers it, like if there's volunteer stuff. It doesn't have to be 100% religion free. I'm much more about just being with people, and stuff being thrown around is fine. So long as they don't try to shove it down my throat, and act hostile or not want to interact with me when they find out I'm not interested). I guess it's possible this could change, but I've had similar experience with stuff like Golf, MLMs (yeah, I got tricked to attending these), certain clubs, etc. where I tried it, and it just wasn't for me.

Are there churches that are mostly good about folks just wanting to meet, and not really bother with religious studies, worship, or the bible? Should I be upfront about this? How do I find out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:04 AM

18 posts, read 49,508 times
Definitely, that's why I joined a church. The churches like you described tend to be more liberal, I'm not sure how much luck you'd have if you lean politically conservative.

Try Unitarian Universalism first. If you aren't crazy about them or don't have a congregation nearby, I know the Presbyterians and sometimes Episcopalians lean more casual. They will be more bible-y, though. Most UU services I've been to tend to be more about life and less about religion. Lots of humanitarians attend UU churches, and also many people who are more New Age-y. I like to think of it as the scientists and the hippies.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:12 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'd like to meet new folks. Sites like Meetup.com used to be great, but the area I'm in is too remote to have more than one event. Everything else is 2 hours away minimum where the large populous areas are.

There are many churches in my area. I've had an acquaintance who started going to church when he was unemployed. Ended up converting to Christianity, met some friends, and even got married in that church, with the wife he met there.

For me, I'm only there to meet people. I have no interest in attending mass (I'd much rather go to other social activities if a church offers it, like if there's volunteer stuff. It doesn't have to be 100% religion free. I'm much more about just being with people, and stuff being thrown around is fine. So long as they don't try to shove it down my throat, and act hostile or not want to interact with me when they find out I'm not interested). I guess it's possible this could change, but I've had similar experience with stuff like Golf, MLMs (yeah, I got tricked to attending these), certain clubs, etc. where I tried it, and it just wasn't for me.

Are there churches that are mostly good about folks just wanting to meet, and not really bother with religious studies, worship, or the bible? Should I be upfront about this? How do I find out?
The Unitarian Universalists are known for being easy-going and eclectic. Check around in your area, though; there are surprises, sometimes. In Denver, for example, it's the local Lutheran church that's into multi-culturalism and sharing the traditions of world religions for inspiration (and letting everyone do their own thing), plus running volunteer projects in the community. You never know where something like that will turn up. Some of these highly ecumenical churches are more about sharing philosophical traditions than focussing on religion, per se. And people do attend more for the social opportunities. And that's ok.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:20 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Before I read any answers, I was also thinking Unitarian. Even they can get pretty Christian on you and start quoting the bible, etc., but they are the most accepting church I've been to (tried a lot, decided none are for me), and they are gay-friendly, which says a lot.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:31 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
Sorry, but it seems pretty disingenuous to me to treat a Church like a social club with no intention of sharing their core beliefs and participating in their worship activities.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:02 AM

997 posts, read 1,060,731 times
I'd also recommend the Unitarian church.

That said, if you're not religious, do you really want to surround yourself with friends who might be preaching and trying to change your beliefs? Personally, that type of behavior is very off putting to me.

Best of luck and I hope you can find what you're looking for.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:47 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Sorry, but it seems pretty disingenuous to me to treat a Church like a social club with no intention of sharing their core beliefs and participating in their worship activities.
I agree, although many Christians do this unwittingly, attending services and taking it all in without giving anything of themselves in return, as if church is a show and they are the audience, or holding themselves accountable and then going back to their old habits am Monday through Saturday, all the while thinking they're doing what Jesus would do.

OP, if you're going to do this, at least don't act like you're above the people and place you're using. I mean, at least be genuine about who you are and open to listening and learning.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 03-10-2015 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: egregious typo

Old 03-10-2015, 09:54 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Oh come now! The vast majority of church goers are not actively engaged in the activities of the church (beyond the weekly worship services - and some aren't even consistent with that) and even fewer support the church financially. To a large extent, most "Christians" treat the church like a social club. Why should it be different for the OP? Who knows,she might attend to get her social needs met, and become drawn to their core beliefs in the process. Would you prefer he/she not attend until their "all in?"

Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
The vast majority of church goers are not actively engaged in the activities of the church (beyond the weekly worship services - and some aren't even consistent with that)
"Vast majority"??

What are you basing this on?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:54 AM

18 posts, read 49,508 times
IMHO, churches provide three things: spirituality, community, and community service. (Some also provide dogma, but I'm not into that kinda church so I can't speak on it.) No reason you can't join a church for one or two of those things, while ignoring the last. Personally, I'd prefer people join for community and service and ignore the spirituality aspect, as the OP seems to be leaning.

Quote:
I'd much rather go to other social activities if a church offers it, like if there's volunteer stuff.
Someone can absolutely contribute to a church without contributing to the spiritual aspect.

And OP may very well share in the Unitarian church's beliefs, we don't know enough about them to say they won't. I'm an atheist who shares in the UU church's beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships