Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 AM

35,086 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

My hometown just had a double murder via arson yesterday and local social media is abuzz with people arguing about the motive. Both the murderer and the deceased live in a part of town that's known to be not so good. Because they live there and that area is a known hotbed of drugs and crime, it's pretty well assumed the deceased and the murderer had a relationship, likely over drugs or money.

Do you think it's fair that people get stereotyped based upon where they live? Do you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I guess we'll have to wait until you let us know if the victims' lifestyle led to the crime.

When certain areas are deemed "rough", it is frequently because of the high crime rates. So which comes first, the reputation, or the crime stats?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:50 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
I usually do stereotype but in this case not.

Because I live in a rather poor area myself. I like cars and vacations, so I didn't want to overspend on a house in a nice area and I didn't want to live in a nice apartment in a nicer area or a townhome and pay all those dumb HOA fees.

So I choose a crappy house in a semi crappy area and renovated it to my liking. Love it.

Turns out, my friends in the nicer neighborhoods have just as much breakins as there are in my hood. People are nice to me and I never had any issues. Once a weirdo was in my backyard, running away from somebody, but he disappeared once I screamed.

However, if you have kids, you have to think differently.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I usually do stereotype but in this case not.

Because I live in a rather poor area myself. I like cars and vacations, so I didn't want to overspend on a house in a nice area and I didn't want to live in a nice apartment in a nicer area or a townhome and pay all those dumb HOA fees.

So I choose a crappy house in a semi crappy area and renovated it to my liking. Love it.

Turns out, my friends in the nicer neighborhoods have just as much breakins as there are in my hood. People are nice to me and I never had any issues. Once a weirdo was in my backyard, running away from somebody, but he disappeared once I screamed.

However, if you have kids, you have to think differently.
We live in a lower income area as well. Our direct neighborhood is pretty nice and there hasn't been any crime in our vicinity since we moved in a few years ago, but less than a mile from us is a pretty run down area where some not so great things have happened. I checked crime stats for this area before we moved and they weren't much different than the rest of our city.

Funny thing is our previous house was in a brand new neighborhood with HOA fees and other fancy stuff and we were just about the only house on our block that didn't get robbed while living there. We moved out of that house several months before we sold it and while it was vacant, someone stole the AC unit. So no, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:32 PM

I forgot to close my garage door once and left for a weekend trip. There was my motorcycle with the key in it, 3 bicycles, and access to the house. Late at night, the neighbors called the cops. Nobody stole anything.

A coworker of mine lives in a nice area, did some yard work with the garage door open. Walked around the house to get some tools and once he came back, all his bicycles were gone.

If it happens, it happens. Crime is everywhere.

however, it is nicer to walk your dog in an area where you walk along nice yards and not junk yards. I am tired of seeing old cars in front yards, horrible lawns and trash everywhere.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:14 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I forgot to close my garage door once and left for a weekend trip. There was my motorcycle with the key in it, 3 bicycles, and access to the house. Late at night, the neighbors called the cops. Nobody stole anything.

A coworker of mine lives in a nice area, did some yard work with the garage door open. Walked around the house to get some tools and once he came back, all his bicycles were gone.

If it happens, it happens. Crime is everywhere.

however, it is nicer to walk your dog in an area where you walk along nice yards and not junk yards. I am tired of seeing old cars in front yards, horrible lawns and trash everywhere.
You don't have to have an HOA to keep your neighbors in check with that stuff. They still have to keep their house up to code and things like weeds, trash, animal feces etc are all hazards. You can just call the city on them and they will make them clean it up. We had to call the city on our neighbors for dog poop. Their whole yard smelled disgusting. I tried to report animal neglect, but Arizona doesn't care much about pet care, but since a yard piled high in dog crap is unsanitary, they made them clean it up. Just recently another neighbor across the street called on her next door neighbor for weeds. They were renters. The city came in and made the rental company clean it up and the renters were evicted.
Problem solved.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
You don't have to have an HOA to keep your neighbors in check with that stuff. They still have to keep their house up to code and things like weeds, trash, animal feces etc are all hazards. You can just call the city on them and they will make them clean it up. We had to call the city on our neighbors for dog poop. Their whole yard smelled disgusting. I tried to report animal neglect, but Arizona doesn't care much about pet care, but since a yard piled high in dog crap is unsanitary, they made them clean it up. Just recently another neighbor across the street called on her next door neighbor for weeds. They were renters. The city came in and made the rental company clean it up and the renters were evicted.
Problem solved.

ahhhhh??? Okay, thanks for the info ...

Not sure if my city cares, though. I don't even come out when I call for noise complaints (lots of partying all night long).

Old 04-16-2015, 08:40 PM

324 posts, read 427,752 times
I don't think it's fair if people are being discriminated against because of what part of town they live in, but when it comes to crime, this mindset is normal.

I wouldn't call that stereotyping, but more of a thought process that makes it so they're not as concerned for their own safety.

If a double murder happens in my city, but it's in a neighborhood well known for gang violence, I won't be as concerned because it most likely wasn't random. If it happens up the street and was totally random, I would have a heightened sense of alert regarding my safety.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:59 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
All of the posts that say they were robbed in nicer areas and not poorer areas are anecdotal. Crime stats will show otherwise.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
All of the posts that say they were robbed in nicer areas and not poorer areas are anecdotal. Crime stats will show otherwise.
When I look at my hoods crime stats, most crimes are:

drug dealing (doesn't affect me)
car break ins (just lock your car and take your stuff into the house, duh!)
rape of minors
gang related whatever stuff (just don't hang out in the streets at night)
assault and battery late at night where low lifes beat up low life's and then shoot or stab each other. Doesn't affect me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships