Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 03:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
After mom and dad pas away the reality is going to set in for your siblings either they stand up and be responsible move in with other relatives(maybe you!).
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The local housing code in most places limits the number of people who can inhabit a dwelling to 2 per bedroom, plus one.

You said "very small bedrooms" so I'm going to assume there are three... Which means more than 7 people in the home is a code violation. If only two bedrooms, 5 people is the usual limit.

It's not necessarily a none-of-your-business situation. That many people living in that small a space causes a lot of wear and tear on the structure. There may be holes in the floor, which would be bad for 80-plus year old residents. Have you been inside? Is the house hoarded? It very easily could be, since every person who moved in surely brought their stuff with them.

If you believe the current arrangement poses a health and safety danger to your parents, you're morally obligated to report it to the housing authorities.
I agree.

If your parents are in their 80s, your siblings must be in their 40s to 60s.

What are they going to do when Mom & Dad die or run out of money?

BTW, I don't see how Mom & Dad could " never have been good with money" if they currently have enough money to support 12 people of their SS and retirement savings (after being retired for 15 or so years). I'm very, very worried that my hubby and I will have trouble supporting just the two of us by the time that we are in our 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 03:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Call your local senior services and have them check on your Mom and Dad....They clearly are being taken advantage of.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:36 PM

195 posts, read 231,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree.

I agree.

If your parents are in their 80s, your siblings must be in their 40s to 60s.

What are they going to do when Mom & Dad die or run out of money?

BTW, I don't see how Mom & Dad could " never have been good with money" if they currently have enough money to support 12 people of their SS and retirement savings (after being retired for 15 or so years). I'm very, very worried that my hubby and I will have trouble supporting just the two of us by the time that we are in our 80s.
They took a reverse mortgage to pay the expenses of supporting all their children and their kids but the house is in rough shape and has basically no value above and beyond the reverse mortgage amount. So when they die the bank will take the house and my sisters and their families will be homeless and broke.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:47 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
They took a reverse mortgage to pay the expenses of supporting all their children and their kids but the house is in rough shape and has basically no value above and beyond the reverse mortgage amount. So when they die the bank will take the house and my sisters and their families will be homeless and broke.
Do your sisters actually know this?

Or are they living in magical, rainbow, unicorn land where they think that a miracle, or a brother, will save them all from working?

Old 04-21-2015, 03:51 PM

195 posts, read 231,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Do your sisters actually know this?

Or are they living in magical, rainbow, unicorn land where they think that a miracle, or a brother, will save them all from working?
They are living for today. They want to live free for as long as possible. When Mom and Dad die or go into a nursing home, my sisters will cross that bridge when it happens.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:02 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Or live under it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships