Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 PM

53 posts, read 67,041 times

Advertisements

I understand where your coming from CaleWany. I was the same way as a teen. I just always felt awkward, and didn't really fit in with any groups. I had a very small circle of friends, and was shy as hell! Conversation was not my thing!

Like HighFlyingBird, I got a job at Best Buy at 18, my first job, working in sales. I was forced to talk to people if I wanted to keep a job! It took a while to come out of that shell, and sometimes, its still hard for me. I'm relocating shortly to a new city, and at 28 years old, I question if I will be able to find a circle of friends who will accept me for my quirks.

I usually find the best small talk conversations that really blossom into something intriguing are ones about music and current events. For me, small talk backfires when people start talking about movies, as I'm not a big movie buff lol

My best advice is to just be yourself. I'm sure there are things that make you unique and interesting, use that to your advantage. And although it may be hard at first, just put yourself out there. What is the worst that can happen? Don't change for anyone.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 11:08 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
How old are you?
Exactly my question as well.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:43 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
He's 17. Not going to happen in a bar.

Not one person in a hundred, if that, is born with light-up-the-room charisma. But, OP, highly suggest you read How To Win Friends And Influence People, by Dale Carnegie. In that book, he details the kind of charisma that CAN be learned.
^^^^ This. My husband is in his 50's and he still reads this book at least once every 6 months. He started reading it in his 20's and he is the most social, outgoing and fearless person I have ever met. He is not afraid to fail in a social setting because it passes quickly and is a learning experience.

You are 17 and I commend you at your young age for exploring how to be a better you. Some of us wait too long and the longer you wait the harder it is. You have been given a lot of good advice and I hope more people take the time and chime in.

I was a "wall flower" and a "doormat" for many years. When I hit 30 I transformed myself through many of the things that others have already advised here. I am happy with me, have a large family, great friends and an ambitious and successful husband. Life is good. It can be for you too at a much earlier age. Good luck and much success!!!

Old 04-22-2015, 04:01 AM

230 posts, read 228,658 times
Ty all

I must find that book by Dale Carnegiehere]How to Win Friends and Influence People Quotes by Dale Carnegie is a link to part of that book

Old 04-22-2015, 05:54 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaleWany View Post
Ty all

I must find that book by Dale Carnegiehere]How to Win Friends and Influence People Quotes by Dale Carnegie is a link to part of that book

I found my paperback copy many years ago on a Free Books shelf of a local bookstore. It's available as an ebook now, too.

If nothing else, your library will have it.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I found my paperback copy many years ago on a Free Books shelf of a local bookstore. It's available as an ebook now, too.

If nothing else, your library will have it.
eBook involves a lot of processes and such that I'd rather get it from the library

Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
eBook involves a lot of processes and such that I'd rather get it from the library

No worries then. You'll do fine!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:43 AM

733 posts, read 853,454 times
Quote:
Am 17

Reading, can be fun at times but not always.

That charisma which enables one to light up the room,seems I lack
Okay, what about joining a group, like a Warhammer group, or anime, etc?

Also, what about attending college when you graduate? You will be around lots of girls and also could be friends, just from being in the same classes or having the same major. Join the "Pre Vet Club" or the "Pre Law Club" or whatever your interest is.

Hang in there.

Skinny is cute, by the way! Lots of girls like skinny guys.

Just be good-hearted, kind, and look for others with the same good traits.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Okay, what about joining a group, like a Warhammer group, or anime, etc?

Also, what about attending college when you graduate? You will be around lots of girls and also could be friends, just from being in the same classes or having the same major. Join the "Pre Vet Club" or the "Pre Law Club" or whatever your interest is.

Hang in there.

Skinny is cute, by the way! Lots of girls like skinny guys.

Just be good-hearted, kind, and look for others with the same good traits.
I'll join the groups,somehow
About being cute- it's always good to know
Thanks

Old 04-22-2015, 08:51 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Be interesting. Do interesting things. Read, be knowledgeable about history, current events. Listen to interesting music: from classical to the newest.

If you are interesting, people will want to get to know YOU.

If you're carrying around a good book that you're reading, interesting people will find you interesting and actually start a conversation about it.

When you speak with other people, ask "open-ended" questions that require more than a "yes/no" answer. Also, when you speak to other people ask them about their favorite subject: themselves. Without hardly saying anything, pretty soon people will think you're the smartest person in the room--I guarantee this works!

You are your biggest cheerleader and support group. If you don't believe in yourself--no one else will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships