Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:41 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
This situation is only going to get worse. Apparently they have legal custody and he US legally adopted correct? The mother should not have any access to the child until she is mentally stabalized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Sounds like she needs to be hospitalized.

No, they are not being harsh. The child's safety has to be a priority because he is defenseless. I don't know what psychological options they have tried for the birth mom, but she needs serious help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You can feel sorry for her if you like. Yes, she does not deserve what has happened to her. At the same time, she is too unstable to be around your brother, his family and her son. Resist the urge to make excuses for her because it only puts everyone else in danger. Try to deal with the here and now and in the here and now she needs to be kept away from her son and your brother's family. Her presence in their lives is and will continue to be a disaster.
NOthing more needs to be said about this. I feel sorry for the girl but she is obviously unstable and a possible threat to her bio son. When she does something really bad through her immaturity, instability or mood swings, it will be too late to be mindful of the childs welfare and not hers.

Help her to get help and let your family get on with raising the boy in a stable home. She doesn't need to be around him. It will only serve to confuse and embarrass him at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 07:18 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
The child's needs take precedence over everything else.

He must be protected, and if that means being isolated from the woman who birthed him, so be it.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:23 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
The child's needs take precedence over everything else.

He must be protected, and if that means being isolated from the woman who birthed him, so be it.
So be it...yes...but designating the birth mother as trash...no. Big huge, for the love of God, no.

And the child might need some form of contact in their lives. This is a time tou have to feel your way through it. I trust his parents....but I don't discount the importance of his birth MOTHER

Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It is an interesting question ... what does one call the woman who gave birth to a child that has been adopted? As I mentioned before, I do not believe they are the "mom" ... that title goes to the person who cares for them day in and day out ... loving, laughing, scolding, healing, nurturing, etc.

I can almost accept birth "mother" because the formality of the term seems to distance the connection. But even that isn't correct, IMO.

The inappropriate snarky term I used earlier in the thread is wrong because it minimizes the role that she played in bringing that child to life. That role can't be denied, but it also doesn't guarantee any sort of relationship without the approval of the (adoptive) parents. And even if they allow a relationship, it's no longer a parental relationship.

I've seen all sorts of alternative names ... real mother, birth mother, biological mother, genetic mother ... all these terms still use the word "mother". I feel like there should be a term that recognizes her role in that child's story, but does not suggest a parental relationship.

We say "the woman who gave birth to me". As I said, we don't have any need to talk about her.

The woman who gave birth to our daughter does not need a title. A biological function does not confer a title. A relationship, or an accomplishment does that. Giving birth is neither.

The woman who gave birth to our did us a favor and did herself a favor. We hope the completed her education and went on to have a family of her own. We will respect her privacy, and we hope that despite the relaxed "flesh and blood" oriented tide that adoption seems to be taking now, well; our hope is that it stays that way. For the sanity and sake of all. Especially the child.

The woman who gave birth to me - is fine and accurate.

There is no need for a title.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:26 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We say "the woman who gave birth to me". As I said, we don't have any need to talk about her.

The woman who gave birth to our daughter does not need a title. A biological function does not confer a title. A relationship, or an accomplishment does that. Giving birth is neither.

The woman who gave birth to our did us a favor and did herself a favor. We hope the completed her education and went on to have a family of her own. We will respect her privacy, and we hope that despite the relaxed "flesh and blood" oriented tide that adoption seems to be taking now, well; our hope is that it stays that way. For the sanity and sake of all. Especially the child.

May God bless and care for your child. Good luck to you. Your views are antiquated, and frankly, sick.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:40 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
May God bless and care for your child. Good luck to you. Your views are antiquated, and frankly, sick.
You need to stop being so judgmental. It's great that your position has worked for you, however it clearly doesn't work for everyone. You are not the grand authority on all adoptive situations.

You know extremely little about sheena's situation. Stop acting like you know better than she what her family should have done.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:47 PM

718 posts, read 615,849 times
Quote:
You need to stop being so judgmental. It's great that your position has worked for you, however it clearly doesn't work for everyone. You are not the grand authority on all adoptive situations.

You know extremely little about sheena's situation. Stop acting like you know better than she what her family should have done.
You need to go look at some of her posts, and pervious threads, and realize that the only person being judgmental is her. She spews hatred about birth parents who put their children up for adoption because of her stance on it. She's an adoptive mother and her biggest insecurity is, quite frankly, the scenario presented on this thread.

Please, read everything before you call someone out for passing judgement.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:49 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
You need to go look at some of her posts, and pervious threads, and realize that the only person being judgmental is her. She spews hatred about birth parents who put their children up for adoption because of her stance on it. She's an adoptive mother and her biggest insecurity is, quite frankly, the scenario presented on this thread.

Please, read everything before you call someone out for passing judgement.
I've been going back and forth with HighFlying for a while. I feel comfortable calling her out for being judgmental.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

It's actually quite sad to see the animosity and acrimony you have for people who put their children up for adoption, because of your own insecurities. Hopefully, someday you realize how immature and unfounded your feelings on this subject are.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I've been going back and forth with HighFlying for a while. I feel comfortable calling her out for being judgmental.
You can't call her judgemental about Sheena's comments, though. Like I said, you need to get some history here. Look at any thread/post she's made about adoption. It's always about bashing the american adoption system and/or biological parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships