Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,206 times

Advertisements

My father is 63 and my parents were married for 27 years and had 3 sons (my brothers and I). It was never a happy marriage.

My father always was a philanderer. My mother caught him with several women countless times, he couldn't see a hot babe go past without trying something with her. Truth be told he was and still is a good looking guy. He has stayed active and always exercised so he looks well for his age.

He has had a great career in a major multinational company and he earned a lot of money throughout the years and spent a lot of it in nights out and women. He also showered us with gifts all the time (the latest toys, a brand new car to each one of us, etc) but didn't really play much of a role when it came to the rest. Our education was always our mother's responsability.

Long story short, my mother decided to put an end to it when she found out he was keeping a mistress nearby, paying for her apartment and for the child they had together. They boy is now 7.

If our relationship hadn't been good before, this nearly killed it. My brothers and I watched how our mother suffered so we didn't want anything to do with him. He would call on our birthdays and I just answered out of politeness. My eldest brother meets him on occasion so he can be with his grandchildren.

Well, he had a major car crash 3 weeks ago. It wasn't his fault, an out of control truck came right at him. When I saw the car I didn't believe someone could have survived it.

He had a lot of injuries and his life was at risk when I went to visit him at the hospital. He was in and out of consciousness while I was there. He grabbed my arm when he saw me and asked if I would forgive him for everything. At the time his death was a serious possibility so I saw no point in holding a grudge and said yes.

Amazingly, he recovered very fast...he's now at home and he pays for nurse care. My brothers and I check on him from time to time. The other day he told me we're being very good to him, much more than he deserves. Of course none of his hot women showed up in his time of need...typical.

I was wondering if I was weak for forgiving him...naturally I don't wish him dead, I hope he recovers. I talked about if with my mother and she said I shouldn't feel this way, that it just shows I have my heart in the right place and that as they say, holding on to grudges gives you cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 07:43 PM

22,588 posts, read 47,660,494 times
I would have forgiven him.
Your mom is right.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:45 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
My father is 63 and my parents were married for 27 years and had 3 sons (my brothers and I). It was never a happy marriage.

My father always was a philanderer. My mother caught him with several women countless times, he couldn't see a hot babe go past without trying something with her. Truth be told he was and still is a good looking guy. He has stayed active and always exercised so he looks well for his age.

He has had a great career in a major multinational company and he earned a lot of money throughout the years and spent a lot of it in nights out and women. He also showered us with gifts all the time (the latest toys, a brand new car to each one of us, etc) but didn't really play much of a role when it came to the rest. Our education was always our mother's responsability.

Long story short, my mother decided to put an end to it when she found out he was keeping a mistress nearby, paying for her apartment and for the child they had together. They boy is now 7.

If our relationship hadn't been good before, this nearly killed it. My brothers and I watched how our mother suffered so we didn't want anything to do with him. He would call on our birthdays and I just answered out of politeness. My eldest brother meets him on occasion so he can be with his grandchildren.

Well, he had a major car crash 3 weeks ago. It wasn't his fault, an out of control truck came right at him. When I saw the car I didn't believe could have survived it.

He had a lot of injuries and his life was in risk when I went to visit him at the hospital. He was in and out of consciousness while I was there. He grabbed my arm when he saw me and asked if I would forgive him for everything. At the time his death was a serious possibility so I saw no point in holding a grudge and said yes.

Amazingly, he recovered very fast...he's now at home and he pays for nurse care. My brothers and I check on him from time to time. The other day he told me we're being very good to him, much more than he deserves. Of course none of his hot women showed up in his time of need...typical.

I was wondering if I was weak for forgiving him...naturally I don't wish him dead, I hope he recovers. I talked about if with my mother and she said I shouldn't feel this way, that it just shows I have my heart in the right place and that as they say, holding on to grudges gives you cancer.
Not weak at all. In fact, it's a sign of strength.

But holding grudges doesn't give you cancer.

A better way to look at it is that it's like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Your mom is right.
Thanks. It's just not in my blood to wish someone dead unless they are a major criminal...I don't believe in sudden changes but he seems different after the accident.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:57 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
You know, I really get this. My dad was loyal but filled with rage that was directed at our entire family. I just didn't want to have him in my life after the divorce. A couple years ago he was hit by a car. A good firiend of his contacted me and I got back I touch with him.

Long story short, he was the same guy after he recovered as he was before. The same guy I don't want in my life. It has nothing to do with forgiveness. It's just about who I want to spend my life with, who I want to know my kids, and where I want to put my efforts.

It just isn't him

Old 04-25-2015, 07:58 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,602 times
Your mom did a good job raising you.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:29 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
The only person a grudge hurts is the one holding it. You did good.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Your mom is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Your mom did a good job raising you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
The only person a grudge hurts is the one holding it. You did good.
I agree with the above posters.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:06 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Your mom is right. But you show your strength of character through your actions. You are a lesson of goodness and charity not only to your father, but to anyone else who is associated with you.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,784,210 times
You did well. For you. What he does with your gift of forgiveness is up to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships