Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:06 PM

756 posts, read 833,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
I'm a 44 year old male, no sibling. Growing up I usually highly contentious relationship with my mother. Her family -including her- has a long history of depression and anxiety, and diabetes. From about age 12, I've been convinced she should not have had children because of her mental and physical health issues. In early adulthood, we seemed to have reconciled, but for the past few years any fondness I felt for her has completely eroded and has now festered into disgust and hatred for her. Here are a few things that have happened:

My parents divorced about 25 years ago. About 15 years ago, my mom started dating a guy who's don't get along with. She moved in to his place about 12 years ago. My mom is fairly well-educated and liberal, but her boyfriend is an ignorant, judgmental redneck. My mom is 72, he's 82. When they first started dating, he was openly racist, but now keeps these view private because it bothers my mom. I'm pretty sure he's still racist, just not overtly. He also thinks it's terrible the same-sex marriage and marijuana are become socially acceptable.

Since we're so different and don't get along, and have had some conflicts, my mom's boyfriend no longer allows me to come over. He also keeps her on a figurative leash: He's very restrictive of how long she's allowed to be gone, and he won't let her come over to my area (she lives about 90 minutes away).

I know it's her life, and if she wants to be a in relationship with him, that's fine. But I've lost virtually all respect for her because she lets him dictate so much of her life. She's also admitted to me that, while they get along, she doesn't really feel much for him, and is primarily with him because he provides her with a comfortable living situation.

Over the course of living together, they've acquired about 12 cats, of age range 2-14 years. I'm baffled why anyone would do this, and disgusted that two persons their age would. They say they think of the cats as their children, which, to me, seems unbelievably effed up. Why would two persons who aged 72 and 82 want 'children', much less ersatz children in the form of cats?

Finally, my mom is completely financially inept. If something did happen to her, I'd be left with a huge mess to deal with. If something happened to her boyfriend, I'd also have the cats to deal with, which I don't want.

As a consequence of all this, I no longer feel any love, respect, or even attachment to my mother. In fact, at least once a day I find myself thinking something along the lines of, 'It'd be nice if something happened to her, and she just died. She's one of the most emotionally retarded and worthless persons who's ever lived, and I, and the world would be better off if she ceased to exist.'

I know this is really harsh, but this is genuinely how I feel; I want her to die sooner rather than later. Does anyone else harbor such animosity towards one of your parents?
If you prefer her dead, why do you care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 05:17 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
If you prefer her dead, why do you care?
She brings nothing to the table. It's a very embarrassing situation for him. Anything else?

Old 04-27-2015, 05:20 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
She brings nothing to the table. It's a very embarrassing situation for him. Anything else?
what is he going to do with the cats then?

Old 04-27-2015, 05:26 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
You are lucky she did not opt for an abortion.
I'm not sure that he is. I often wish mine did. Oblivion can be bliss when faced with hell on earth.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:26 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
what is he going to do with the cats then?
I was thinking that she may pass in the cats liter box and no one would find her. I think that is the general idea behind the hoarding of cats.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:30 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
You sir, hate is a very strong word to say in any context to anyone. You don't hate someone who gives you your existence. It's just not right in anyway and it does NOT matter what she did or does to you.

There are professional help on this area of psychological issues...please seek out for help.
I agree that the OP needs some sort of therapy.

But you can absolutely "hate" someone who gave birth to you. Having biological children benefits the parents, not the kid. If it was really all about the kid, the parents could adopt.

You are lucky that you probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:36 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
While not wishing them dead, I know I have had a passing thought or two that I will feel some form of relief when they do pass.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:37 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You're angry at your mother because she's made choices you disagree with. People do the things they do for a reason. She wants her comfort but she also wants to have a relationship with you.

I have my own mother issues because I was unloved by my parents as a child, but I can't relate to your bubbling white-hot rage because I have never wanted her dead. I simply don't care whether she is or not.
Ditto. No emotion.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 16,256 times
My mom did die

Old 04-27-2015, 07:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I relate and completely understand the feelings as stated in the original post...
my mother being a diagnosable narcissist with Bi-polar disorder...
Stories would shock people.
(I felt she was possessed... and evil.)

That being said, luckily by the time at 88 she needed to be cared for and I did...I knew
by the Grace of God...this place is about growth...not lingering and stewing
in the past and anger.
Period.

This place is for my soul advancement...therefore, there really are only
2 choices: be the immature, hurt daughter or be the mature person that gives love,
patience and support in every way to this old, screwed up human being.

I chose the high road and helped her transition to the Other Side in peace and forgiveness.

If you are ever churning with any decision ...the correct one is the one
that embraces and demonstrates kindness...sorry, that is the
way to advance in this life you we were given for a reason.

Don't let the ego-mind trick you, ever, into anything else but kindness and forgiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships