Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:16 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of people I know and talk to at work and school, but never talk or hang out outside of those places. I only have one or two "true" friends-those I can tell my deepest secrets, my feelings, and hang out whenever.

Do you have only one or two friends or none at all, and many acquaintances? What do you think I might be doing wrong to only have acquaintances? I am a shy person in general and sometimes it takes awhile for me to open up to people. Should I just try to make more conversation? Anybody else have this problem or had this problem? If you got over it, what was your solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:51 PM

29 posts, read 35,927 times
I'm a lot like you. Even though I have a lot of acquaintances I only have a very small number of friends. Like you I struggle with opening up to people and can be shy. All of this makes it really hard to make friends. Plus I don't meet many people whom I have anything much in common with.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:32 PM

191 posts, read 211,938 times
I have far more acquaintances than true friends. Only have a few real friends, one of which is my husband. I'm introverted and don't need a lot of friends or socializing. I'm not shy although I was as a kid. I personally don't think its wrong to have mostly acquaintances but that's me, you may feel differently. However, I really don't think it's a right or wrong thing but more of a preference.

When I do want to get to know someone I just put forth the effort to be genuinely interested in them; ask questions (not too personal though), make conversation about things we're both interested in.

Sometimes it takes awhile but there's nothing wrong with that. I once worked with a lady who I wanted to get to know better because she seemed like a nice person and someone I'd want for a friend. We didn't become "fast friends," rather it evolved over time. Fifteen years later we are still very close friends, despite the fact we no longer work together or even still live in the same area.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:03 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I am a shy person in general and sometimes it takes awhile for me to open up to people. Should I just try to make more conversation?
I'm an introvert. Here's the thing about being introverted: Because we enjoy our own company, we sometimes unwittingly give the impression that we don't need other people. I didn't realize this until someone got annoyed with me and said, "Why don't you ever let anyone help you?"

So I very carefully and very cautiously make a point of asking acquaintances for small favors. Most people want to be helpful. I don't really need to get restaurant recommendations -- I've got the web to consult -- but I ask peoples' opinions. Or ask what type of carpet I should buy for the house I'm remodeling.

You won't strike up lasting friendships with everyone but occasionally a spark catches fire and you gain a new friend.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:10 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
Right here. Lots of Facebook friends, lots of acquaintances in the local music scene but few real friends.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:21 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
I know many faces and names of people if we happen to meet at the same place or event. I don't feel like I have any "true" friends. I don't have any friends that I've known for a long time. It difficult joining a social circle when I've isolated myself from the world in my teen years and my 20's.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I have a lot of people I know and talk to at work and school, but never talk or hang out outside of those places. I only have one or two "true" friends-those I can tell my deepest secrets, my feelings, and hang out whenever.

Do you have only one or two friends or none at all, and many acquaintances? What do you think I might be doing wrong to only have acquaintances? I am a shy person in general and sometimes it takes awhile for me to open up to people. Should I just try to make more conversation? Anybody else have this problem or had this problem? If you got over it, what was your solution?
Don't know how old you are but you will find in life to consider yourself lucky if you have two really good friends. Once you experience a job lay off, a serious illness, etc you find out who supports and helps and who doesn't.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:25 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
seain dublin,s right on....if you have two good friends consider yourself fortunate.
A true friend is a friend for life....they're sometimes hard to come by.
Some people consider they have many friends...until they're really needed, and then suddenly they're no longer around.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:22 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
I had many acquaintances. But no friends currently. In my life, I had 1, and that was when I was 6 lol she moved to Texas however, and came back for a while when we were both 10, and we seemed to get along as well as before. But she left again by the end of the school year, and I haven't seen her since then.

I am introvert, and very shy. I can talk to people with no problem, if they come to me 1st. I am just shy in approaching people and making first moves. I have done it a few times, but it's rare, and usually the people I do it for aren't interested in my company, or conversation. Least it's the vibe I get. So I keep to myself and am far from outgoing. So socially, that's the death of me. lol but I am very sensitive to rejection or snubbing. So I avoid it by staying to myself.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:22 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I had many acquaintances. But no friends currently. In my life, I had 1, and that was when I was 6 lol she moved to Texas however, and came back for a while when we were both 10, and we seemed to get along as well as before. But she left again by the end of the school year, and I haven't seen her since then.

I am introvert, and very shy. I can talk to people with no problem, if they come to me 1st. I am just shy in approaching people and making first moves. I have done it a few times, but it's rare, and usually the people I do it for aren't interested in my company, or conversation. Least it's the vibe I get. So I keep to myself and am far from outgoing. So socially, that's the death of me. lol but I am very sensitive to rejection or snubbing. So I avoid it by staying to myself.
That's sort of was my case as well in my teens and early 20's. A lot of acquaintances, but no real friends aside from one (who I'm still friends with). Over the past couple of years, that has changed, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships