Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times

Advertisements

As if time stops during teen years? If so, then hold on to that notion for about 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 05:00 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Quote:

LOL I am in my 40s too and I've noticed and been annoyed by the loud music at
red lights (when it actually makes the other cars shake and the person has their
window rolled down)
Is this a millenieal thing? Thumping audio bass has been going on since the 1990s, so puts it more into the gen x era maybe?

Old 04-30-2015, 05:18 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I'm with Holly-Kay, Post #29. And I am pretty good at telling when someone is deliberately trying to annoy me. I've got this thing about not allowing other people to control my emotional state so chances are good my response won't be what they are expecting.

As far as what I did as a kid to annoy my elders I don't remember ever deliberately doing that. That usually had consequences. And it seemed I annoyed them enough just by being a teen.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:41 PM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Lightbulb How To Annoy People:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
When I was an adolescent nothing was too complicated in terms of irritating your parents and making people of their generation - and beyond - shake their heads and sigh. "Get a haircut, young man! You look like a girl!" "You're going to school dressed like that?!" "TURN THAT MUSIC DOWN!!! Not that it should be called music..."

I suspect that for people in high school the last two universal quotes from parents are still uttered all the time. Where music is concerned, that's why hiphop stays popular despite years of hopeful predictions that it's fading away. Misogyny, murder, and "M-F" shouted all through the "rhymes" definitely hits ALL Mom & Dad's buttons. Plus it was invented and largely contributed to by BLACK PEOPLE. (Speaking of which, I'm addressing guys specifically now, it never fails to get an easy rise out of your folks if you and all your friends are anything besides African-American BUT you affectionately call each other by the N-word [ending in "a" instead of "er."] "Bro" is a cool term and so is "bud" - in the latter case, not only because of the dual if not triple connotations. "Dude"? It's a perennial classic. Your father and his friends used it on one another, so did your mom when talking to a guy. Zero shock value.

Here's a more tried-and-true way to get on "old" (aged over about, say, 35) people's nerves by just using your mouth. Butcher the language with Bloated Sentence English, BS English for short. Throw the word "like" into every sentence, preferably more than once, when it doesn't add anything or belong. Needlessly include adjectives and adverbs such as "totally" and "literally" (the two most chronically abused.) End each sentence as though it's a question. This is guaranteed to aggravate a lot more persons than just teachers. Be sure to incorporate meaningless entire phrases or sentences into your conversational chatter, too: "I know, right?" "Know what I'm sayin'?" "There's that, and/but..." "Right, right." "For real, though." "Just sayin'." What's that? You already do this? I'm shocked, I'm telling you. Shocked!

Your parents and elders will surely blow a gasket if you get gauges in your ears, the bigger the better. Dad might secretly think it's great that you got a Godzilla tattoo all over your back, as well as the entire bodies of fire-breathing dragons all up and down both arms. But Mom is sure to freak out. Even better than "body art" is letters from another alphabet, Chinese being the most popular, when you don't know what the symbols mean but you think the characters look sick-in-a-good-way. The same goes for "tribal" markings.
Piercings are perfect drama starters, not so much if you have them in your ear lobes (even as many as a dozen.) Through the septum - your "nose divider" - or lip or tongue or nipple(s) or navel or "private area"? Let the screaming quarrels begin.
What's that? You already do both? I'm shocked, I'm telling you. Shocked!

BS English...tattoos...piercings...what else is perpetrated not only to conform to peers but also to shock and irritate those born well ahead of you? Fess up. No one's going to call the Traitor To Your Generation cops.
Only ONE of those things you mention would bother me.

Quote:
Through the septum - your "nose divider" -
EeEeEEEeeEeeeWwwWwwwWwwwWWwWWwwWWwwww!!!!!!!!!!
What happens if you meed to sneeze?!

None of those other things bother me. I am all for them!

Stretching. Scratching in public. Or just scratching at all. Old People hate that.

I was "raised" by Mormons, and so EVERYTHING you mention would bother them. Perhaps if I do all those things they will finally go away?! Actually I am not going to get any tattoos. That is an easy way for the Poe Lease to identify some body. And I just want to get lost in the crowd some times.

Other than intentionally separating words and saying "meed" instead of need, and also using many emoticons.

I just speak my mind, to the point of cussing, and just be me. Being myself really irritates every body.

The only things that young people do that I don't think you mentioned, that would irritate me, is when they think they know every thing. When they still have a lot to learn. I also hate how young people automatically hate classic programmes and music just because they are "old". And following every single stupid trend?! You may think that you are being an individual but it gets to the point that young people can be closed minded, even more closed minded than old people.

And stop driving like a maniac. Stop smoking and drinking. Stop having children just for Welfare. Just because old people do all those things does not mean you have to. Such old people are setting a bad example.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:57 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
When I was an adolescent nothing was too complicated in terms of irritating your parents and making people of their generation - and beyond - shake their heads and sigh. "Get a haircut, young man! You look like a girl!" "You're going to school dressed like that?!" "TURN THAT MUSIC DOWN!!! Not that it should be called music..."

I suspect that for people in high school the last two universal quotes from parents are still uttered all the time. Where music is concerned, that's why hiphop stays popular despite years of hopeful predictions that it's fading away. Misogyny, murder, and "M-F" shouted all through the "rhymes" definitely hits ALL Mom & Dad's buttons. Plus it was invented and largely contributed to by BLACK PEOPLE. (Speaking of which, I'm addressing guys specifically now, it never fails to get an easy rise out of your folks if you and all your friends are anything besides African-American BUT you affectionately call each other by the N-word [ending in "a" instead of "er."] "Bro" is a cool term and so is "bud" - in the latter case, not only because of the dual if not triple connotations. "Dude"? It's a perennial classic. Your father and his friends used it on one another, so did your mom when talking to a guy. Zero shock value.

Here's a more tried-and-true way to get on "old" (aged over about, say, 35) people's nerves by just using your mouth. Butcher the language with Bloated Sentence English, BS English for short. Throw the word "like" into every sentence, preferably more than once, when it doesn't add anything or belong. Needlessly include adjectives and adverbs such as "totally" and "literally" (the two most chronically abused.) End each sentence as though it's a question. This is guaranteed to aggravate a lot more persons than just teachers. Be sure to incorporate meaningless entire phrases or sentences into your conversational chatter, too: "I know, right?" "Know what I'm sayin'?" "There's that, and/but..." "Right, right." "For real, though." "Just sayin'." What's that? You already do this? I'm shocked, I'm telling you. Shocked!

Your parents and elders will surely blow a gasket if you get gauges in your ears, the bigger the better. Dad might secretly think it's great that you got a Godzilla tattoo all over your back, as well as the entire bodies of fire-breathing dragons all up and down both arms. But Mom is sure to freak out. Even better than "body art" is letters from another alphabet, Chinese being the most popular, when you don't know what the symbols mean but you think the characters look sick-in-a-good-way. The same goes for "tribal" markings.
Piercings are perfect drama starters, not so much if you have them in your ear lobes (even as many as a dozen.) Through the septum - your "nose divider" - or lip or tongue or nipple(s) or navel or "private area"? Let the screaming quarrels begin.
What's that? You already do both? I'm shocked, I'm telling you. Shocked!

BS English...tattoos...piercings...what else is perpetrated not only to conform to peers but also to shock and irritate those born well ahead of you? Fess up. No one's going to call the Traitor To Your Generation cops.

ROFL. In this house it's dad that has a sleeve of fire breathing dragons down his arm, though large barrels (ears) got on his nerves with the eldest son.

Otherwise none of that is going to overly annoy me. I'm not a fan of hip hop but our 13 year old grins from ear to ear when I sing along to some of the risque stuff.

I may not like some of the younger "culture" but it keeps you young to dip your toes in every so often.

Honestly doesn't seem any better or worse than each of the generations own "counter" culture.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-01-2015, 01:53 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
I'm an ex-hippie from the sixties, and I respected old people. They had the experience and knowledge that I wanted and needed. I don't know why you'd assume that today's young people want to irritate old people. They just want to enjoy what they enjoy.

I loved rock music and still think it's great music. I had long hair. But I didn't do it to irritate anybody.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:40 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I don't let younger people annoy me, I annoy them. My one car has open headers and I love to pull up to a red light with one of those thumping base stereos in the lane next to me, and see them put up their window because of the noise ! What ??? I thought they enjoyed noise !!

Don

Old 05-01-2015, 06:42 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
I'm over half a century old, female, and I blast the music with the bass turned up in my car....rap, hip hop, electronic, and the best....rock from the 80s.

I actually LIKE having a decent career, so no over the top tats or piercings for me. My own kids are in the business world with great starts in their careers, so I sincerely doubt they will ever go down that road. The remaining college student has an irrational fear of needles, so no worries there!

People DO judge you by how you speak, so speak like an idjit and they will think you ARE an idjit. Being a grammar nazi, I also never hesitated to correct the grammar of my children as they talked, so consequently, they are all excellent speakers.

Kids don't annoy me...stupid people annoy me.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Ways to irritate adolescents and those who are older but are apparently stuck in an extended form of adolescence:

1. Make them listen to the Fiddler On the Roof and/or Sound of Music soundtrack while in your house or car.

2. Ask them to go buy some stamps at the post office for you.

3. Kiss your significant other passionately in front of them.

4. Borrow their hair care products and leave them in your bathroom (turn about is fair play).

5. When they have friends come over, greet them at the door wearing a rubber Obama mask. Or a Hilary mask - either will do nicely.

6. Drive around town in a car with a Romney sticker on it.

7. Make Uptown Funk or Happy your ringtone.

8. Call them back when they text you. Tell them you don't text so you will need to have an actual live conversation involving voice boxes.

9. Ask them to check your back for suspicious moles.

10. Talk to them about menopause or ED symptoms.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:16 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
I think just speaking in annoying ways is enough... like "oh em gee!!, that's like... totes amazeballz!" Or say things like "I think that person's outfit is totes ridic... hashTagLoser hashTagGetALife" like actually saying the word "hashtag"... is annoying. Or indtead of laughing you're like "el oh el" like LOL.

Also, just generally not taking things seriously when someone older is talking to you. Like have this look on ur face as if you're holding back laughter. Like you're gonna die laughing if u keep talking. That will infuriate an old person or stare at ur phone and look uninterested in what they're saying...Also annoying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships