Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:38 PM

210 posts, read 246,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
When I was an adolescent nothing was too complicated in terms of irritating your parents and making people of their generation - and beyond - shake their heads and sigh. "Get a haircut, young man! You look like a girl!" "You're going to school dressed like that?!" "TURN THAT MUSIC DOWN!!! Not that it should be called music..."

I suspect that for people in high school the last two universal quotes from parents are still uttered all the time. Where music is concerned, that's why hiphop stays popular despite years of hopeful predictions that it's fading away. Misogyny, murder, and "M-F" shouted all through the "rhymes" definitely hits ALL Mom & Dad's buttons. Plus it was invented and largely contributed to by BLACK PEOPLE. (Speaking of which, I'm addressing guys specifically now, it never fails to get an easy rise out of your folks if you and all your friends are anything besides African-American BUT you affectionately call each other by the N-word [ending in "a" instead of "er."] "Bro" is a cool term and so is "bud" - in the latter case, not only because of the dual if not triple connotations. "Dude"? It's a perennial classic. Your father and his friends used it on one another, so did your mom when talking to a guy. Zero shock value.

Here's a more tried-and-true way to get on "old" (aged over about, say, 35) people's nerves by just using your mouth. Butcher the language with Bloated Sentence English, BS English for short. Throw the word "like" into every sentence, preferably more than once, when it doesn't add anything or belong. Needlessly include adjectives and adverbs such as "totally" and "literally" (the two most chronically abused.) End each sentence as though it's a question. This is guaranteed to aggravate a lot more persons than just teachers. Be sure to incorporate meaningless entire phrases or sentences into your conversational chatter, too: "I know, right?" "Know what I'm sayin'?" "There's that, and/but..." "Right, right." "For real, though." "Just sayin'." What's that? You already do this? I'm shocked, I'm telling you. Shocked!

Your parents and elders will surely blow a gasket if you get gauges in your ears, the bigger the better. Dad might secretly think it's great that you got a Godzilla tattoo all over your back, as well as the entire bodies of fire-breathing dragons all up and down both arms. But Mom is sure to freak out. Even better than "body art" is letters from another alphabet, Chinese being the most popular, when you don't know what the symbols mean but you think the characters look sick-in-a-good-way. The same goes for "tribal" markings.
Piercings are perfect drama starters, not so much if you have them in your ear lobes (even as many as a dozen.) Through the septum - your "nose divider" - or lip or tongue or nipple(s) or navel or "private area"? Let the screaming quarrels begin.
What's that? You already do both? I'm shocked, I'm telling you. Shocked!

BS English...tattoos...piercings...what else is perpetrated not only to conform to peers but also to shock and irritate those born well ahead of you? Fess up. No one's going to call the Traitor To Your Generation cops.
That isn't annoying, that's just you being an idiot o.O...what is this drivel that you've written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayla2go View Post
That isn't annoying, that's just you being an idiot o.O...what is this drivel that you've written.
Yeah, notice his use of capital letters.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-02-2015, 06:59 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,433 times
I just accurately call out Baby Boomers on their BS when they talk about how crime was lower and kids were more respectful and decent in their day. Crime in the US was way higher in the 70s when they were young people than now and teen pregnancy has fallen drastically. It's fun to knock the whiny dishonest elderly off their high horse once in awhile.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:34 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Your post made me laugh. I must say that sometimes teens who are trying to irritate or aggravate have the tables turned on them.

When my son was seventeen he and his gf showed up on my doorstep looking like clowns. Her hair was died a bright raspberry, his was green, they both had piercings everywhere I could see, and I'm certain many places that I thankfully couldn't see. They both had on clothes that was a mash of goth/clown (at least to my eyes). When I opened the door I started to laugh, I was laughing so hard that I had to excuse myself. I headed up the stairs with tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks. I think it took half an hour or more to stop laughing, Everytime I thought I had myself under control I would see them in my mind again and the laughter just kept bubbling up. I really felt bad afterwards. I am sure they were expecting me to be shocked but they were the ones that got the shock.

A word to the wise, young people. You have never been where we are (oldsters) but we have been where you are. There is truly nothing new under the sun so be prepared to possibly have the tables turned on you. After all you get to suffer the consequences of youth and we get to laugh at you because we've been there done that!
I think one of my favorite scenarios is the daughter dressed in some wierd mishmash of a get-up, with the dyed hair, piercings and goth makeup, pointing fingers at her mother and making fun of how mom is dressed.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:41 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
I just accurately call out Baby Boomers on their BS when they talk about how crime was lower and kids were more respectful and decent in their day. Crime in the US was way higher in the 70s when they were young people than now and teen pregnancy has fallen drastically. It's fun to knock the whiny dishonest elderly off their high horse once in awhile.
Lol, surely in all your fancied "brilliance", you wouldn't mind providing credible documentation of those claims, because I must admit to some skepticism there.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:21 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Repped…

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
1. Make them listen to the Fiddler On the Roof and/or Sound of Music soundtrack while in your house or car.
No thanks, I'll stick with Bob Dylan.

Quote:
3. Kiss your significant other passionately in front of them.
YES!

Quote:
6. Drive around town in a car with a Romney sticker on it.
I already do.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:24 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Lol, surely in all your fancied "brilliance", you wouldn't mind providing credible documentation of those claims, because I must admit to some skepticism there.
The violent crime rate is the lowest since the middle to late 1960s.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Fytaa_WU2D...nce%2B1960.png

I don't have data on teen pregnancy.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:06 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
I don't try to annoy anyone. Who is that immature? The OP maybe?

Old 05-05-2015, 01:28 PM

305 posts, read 724,139 times
I've annoyed older folk by calling them Sir, Ma'am, or Mister or Misses. Ironically, this was supposed to be a way to respect our elders, not annoy them.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:53 PM

191 posts, read 212,076 times
In my 40's and I wasn't raised to do things like purposely annoy people, no matter their age. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm sure when I was a teenager I was annoying enough even when I wasn't trying to be.

A much younger cousin of mine in her 20's likes to needle the "old folks" in the family, she tries pretty hard to be irritating and "out there" for some reason. Was always a high maintenance spoiled brat too so maybe that's it. All it's really gotten her is ignored by most the relatives. Even the other family members around her own age think she's immature and don't seem to bother with her. She drives her mom crazy and her dad is a jerk, a bit like her. Meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships