Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 03:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,410 times

Advertisements

I'm just going to ramble so feel free to leave.

One of my friends (let's call her Jane) always calls me stupid when I don't remember something or when I make a mistake. She's naturally the 'cool one' in our group and she knows it. My other friend also calls me stupid but she's joking, because I know that she thinks I'm smart. Another of my friends is the ultimate dumb one in our group but I love her for it. Whenever she doesn't use common sense, I laugh affectionately and hug her. I love her for her stupidity. The others don't get it. Jane says that I have no common sense and I don't know anything. I know that I'm forgetful and not updated. But that doesn't mean I'm stupid. I mean of course I'm sometimes stupid; making stupid decisions, doing things wrong; but no need to remind me of it constantly. I hate it when she just drops it so casually like it's no big deal. She knows I don't like pop music but when she asks me if I've heard a new popular song, she always expects everyone to be updated on everything and like the things she likes. Example: Jane loves 'See You Again' and when I said I don't like it she just rolls her eyes and sighs like she's tired of me. When I say I don't like mainstream things she makes fun of me like 'oh, but Tumblr is mainstream'. When I say that I actually mean that I don't like the things that she or my other friends like. Once when my friends called me pretty, Jane said 'you must be blind' like she was amused. You might think that she was kidding but I know her well. She's always been a b*tch but I didn't mind. I still love her but it hurts when I have to talk to her or my friends and I have get-togethers. It hurts so much because she's my oldest friend and I don't want to let her go. I don't want to stop being friends with her. I just want her to understand me but I'm too scared to speak out. Scared of what she'll think. Scared of the judging. What do I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 03:53 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,452 times
I had a best friend like her a long time ago. It was torture because we were friends for so long and she would say the same things to me like your friend does.

Best thing I ever did was to let that friendship go! People like her suck the soul out of you. She is taking the best parts of you and making you feel small and crappy. She will never change and I promise you it will get worse. Just start distancing yourself from her.

Since then I have several amazing friends. My now best friend, lifts me up and makes me laugh every day. I love being around her unlike my other friend who made me feel like I was walking on eggshells. Friends should make your life better not worse.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-01-2015, 04:13 AM

230 posts, read 228,489 times
Just let it(the friendship) go
Find someone who really appreciates you for who you are,makes your day better not more miserable
You'll see the results

Old 05-01-2015, 05:20 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Good advice, so far...let her go.

Your friends should make you smile, make you happy...not insult you and bring you down.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:08 AM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vphxn View Post

One of my friends (let's call her Jane) always calls me stupid when I don't remember something or when I make a mistake.(
Friends don't do that.
Stop hanging around her.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:16 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,829 times
You are the punching bag of the group & they love to have you around because of that. True friends who care about you deeply dont call you stupid. These are just a bunch of mean spirited people who bully others to feel better about themselves. You are probably a teenager & think adult world will be better but you will come across plenty of people like Jane in your workplace, family, neighbors. Find a way to deal with such people. You should walk out of that group right now & find better quality friends. Don't get pushed around as it becomes a habit to wallow in self pity & think why this happens to you all the time. People can be mean & you should know how to protect yourself & your self respect. Tell your friends clearly that you don't like their attitude & how they treat you. If they value your friendship then they will change. Otherwise, just drop them. Abuse comes in different forms & you are often abused by people you trust & love the most. Be so confident, bold & secure that you should have no second thoughts about leaving an abusive person behind, no matter how much you love them. If you don't, it becomes a pattern & only the face of the abuser changes but the stories of abuse will remain similar.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:32 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,081 times
What do you do?

You stop hanging out with Jane, and you find people to hang out with who aren't malicious asshats.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:32 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,156 times
Default Stand up for yourself..

Hi OP,

You sound like a very fine young lady, my attitude towards little ass wipes like your so-called friends hasn't changed in forty years.

Anyone who calls out their friend and say's your stupid more then once, then you are for taking such nonsense.

Always be honest and always stand up for yourself.

I would tell your friend this-

I like you and we go way back together, Don't you ever call me stupid again or I'll put my foot straight up your ass.

And when I'm done, I walk away from you forever. Understand?

Good Luck.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:40 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vphxn View Post
I'm just going to ramble so feel free to leave.

One of my friends (let's call her Jane) always calls me stupid when I don't remember something or when I make a mistake. She's naturally the 'cool one' in our group and she knows it. My other friend also calls me stupid but she's joking, because I know that she thinks I'm smart. Another of my friends is the ultimate dumb one in our group but I love her for it. Whenever she doesn't use common sense, I laugh affectionately and hug her. I love her for her stupidity. The others don't get it. Jane says that I have no common sense and I don't know anything. I know that I'm forgetful and not updated. But that doesn't mean I'm stupid. I mean of course I'm sometimes stupid; making stupid decisions, doing things wrong; but no need to remind me of it constantly. I hate it when she just drops it so casually like it's no big deal. She knows I don't like pop music but when she asks me if I've heard a new popular song, she always expects everyone to be updated on everything and like the things she likes. Example: Jane loves 'See You Again' and when I said I don't like it she just rolls her eyes and sighs like she's tired of me. When I say I don't like mainstream things she makes fun of me like 'oh, but Tumblr is mainstream'. When I say that I actually mean that I don't like the things that she or my other friends like. Once when my friends called me pretty, Jane said 'you must be blind' like she was amused. You might think that she was kidding but I know her well. She's always been a b*tch but I didn't mind. I still love her but it hurts when I have to talk to her or my friends and I have get-togethers. It hurts so much because she's my oldest friend and I don't want to let her go. I don't want to stop being friends with her. I just want her to understand me but I'm too scared to speak out. Scared of what she'll think. Scared of the judging. What do I do?
Jane is a stupid ***** and is not your friend. Dump her.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,936,385 times
These ******* are not your friends, find better people to hang out with and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships