Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

This is what I would do.

I certainly wouldn't be standing on a bus spot at 4am in the dark. I live in a quaint little town and walk a few steps to my car at 4:15am and every day I do it I feel a little nervous.
The OP doesn't make sense at all!

In my lifetime of working, two buildings have had parking lot work done, and no one ever told the employees to completely alter their transit plans.

You just can't park in the parking lot. Doesn't mean you can't drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:05 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Garden variety unconscious condescension. He meant well (they always mean well), but he needs to mind his own business until there's an actual reason to step in. People (yes, even women! Yes, even aging women!) wait at bus stops before dawn all the time. I've walked 14 blocks in a troubled city before dawn. The odds are slim that your mother will ever actually be bothered, even in a bad neighborhood, so I hope it didn't make you or her worry more.

Hey, men folks? Help me out if it looks like I'm in danger, but otherwise, spare me the "what's a little lady like you doing out at this hour?" b.s. I have a paycheck to earn, and you presuming to "warn" me about street dangers serves zero purpose, except maybe for you to pat yourself on the back.
Yeah, don't you just hate it when young men attempt to show concern for the well-being of older women?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:09 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Yes, when we come across a person who shows compassion for others, we are always wondering what's up. I have noticed since I got older, 60 years old, that the younger people seem to want to keep an eye out for me. I am thinking in this college town that I represent "grandma" and they are treating me like they would their own "grandma" and I actually don't mind that at all. So many bad things are said about youth today and this is a positive tale. This is exactly the kind of young man you want walking the streets that you must walk.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:07 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
A few years ago I was driving on a steep winding road a couple of miles from my house when I saw a woman walking her two dogs down the road. It's a narrow road with a drop off and she was walking well in the road. I stopped and told her that it was a dangerous road to walk because of the narrowness and blind curves. I told her that a BLM road was only a hundred ways away and had no traffic whatsoever. She listened but was obviously resentful of my suggestion. A ways down the road I saw an out of state car parked.

No one walks or rides on this section of the road. Common sense prevents it. I stopped because of her dogs. They were on leashes but they could walk well into the road. This road rarely sees a tourist.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 05-04-2015 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 12:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Maybe it was a warning, or maybe he was feeling her out to see how she reacted...

Old 05-04-2015, 01:11 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
I would have smiled and said "Thank you young man, that's why I have "Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson with me," and patted my handbag. If his intentions were good, he would be reassured that she could take care of herself and if not, it may make him think twice about doing anything.

As long as your mother stays aware of her surroundings, I'm sure she'll be fine. Get her one of those very loud body alarms that she can blow if there is a problem - it might not actually do anything but it will make her feel better (if she is concerned in the first place) and the noise definitely attracts attention.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 6,412 times
Thanks everyone. My mother boss didn't fix the problem when brought to his attention. However, after much concern, my mother spoke to one of the other bosses who's friends with the top person in charge and he was able to fix it.

btw Since it was brought up, yes, there are parking lots only a few blocks away, but downtown where she works, these spots are pretty expensive ($20+ a day), good everything was settled as that was the only other option. Thanks everyone.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:31 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
If she has to ride the bus in the dark again buy her a stun gun. $40 is cheap insurance.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:47 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Mace, pepper spray and stun guns are not that good, a can of wasp and hornet spray that shoots a 20 foot stream is better, you don't have to be as close to an attacker to use it and spraying the eyes will **** their day up.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiesMommy View Post
My mother job has requested that her and a select few cannot drive into work for a few months due to work being done in the parking lot, so her only option for now is to catch the bus.

Well, she has to be outside by herself, at 5 am to catch the bus in order to make it to work on time. Last week, she said a young guy (looked about 19) passed by as the bus was coming, and he said to her, "Ma'am, WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? Don't you know it's too dangerous to be out here, early in the morning by yourself?" (not an angry tone, but serious tone)

Of course, she is dressed for work (she's a secretary), so you'd naturally assume she's out there on her way to work. She is 62, but not old looking, more of a young 62 (still in shape, gets around well, so not the helpless old lady look.)

A few people told her he might have overheard someone saying they were going to attack her, so tried to give a warning, but who knows. Personally, what would you make of it--warning, general statement of concern or what?

This is one of the largest cities where crime happens often, but still, if someone is dressed for work, why make such a statement.. I'd think you'd realize it's their only option to get to work...
He was likely giving good advice. Who cares how she was dressed....You stated that it is a high crime area....at 5am it is still dark....I would be trying to figure out how to resolve her having to be out standing alone at dawn asap...

You should be focusing on the truth of what this young man said rather than the why....I think it was simply a young man thinking to advise your Mom. And, it worked....pay attention to what you can do now to remedy this situation for your Mom. And....cant they park near her work, so that she can still drive?? Hope it all works out. Good luck on this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships