Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:39 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times

Advertisements

I don't know that there is much to do about the situation other than find out if other people have had the same experience.

Lately I've been finding many of my old college friends (some of who were incredibly interesting) have become increasingly boring since school ended.

People who actually thought for themselves now increasingly have become mindless reality TV watching drones.

People change. Friends drift apart. I get that. But it seems like a total shift in personality.

It's enough to make you wonder if the people you knew were the people you knew at all.

Anyway, now I'm left wondering where have all the interesting people have gone?

That ever happen to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:50 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
How interesting do you need people to be? Adults have bills to pay, family obligations, and other responsibilities that they need to take care of. Not everyone wants or is able to do the things that they could as a student in the college bubble.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Most people just become comfortable living the conventional 9-5 homebody life. If you're looking for people outside that bubble you have to get involved in activities that many single and youthful people get involved in. For me it's snowboarding and skiing in the winter, and this summer I'm planning on playing beach volleyball at the NJ shore.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:52 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Not everyone wants or is able to do the things that they could as a student in the college bubble.

Good point fleetie! College life is not the standard to which the rest of your life should be held.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
I would probably be more interesting if I had as much free time now as I did in college. But, a lot of head space is taken up with bills, home repairs/maintenance, work, cooking, etc. I'm still very interested in my hobbies, but most of my friends aren't so much (they have their own, different hobbies). So, what we're left with in common has changed a lot since college.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:54 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
People who actually thought for themselves now increasingly have become mindless reality TV watching drones.
Wow. Judge-y much?

They've grown up. Their lives have changed and their responsibilities have increased. I know that there are some days that wear me down so much that by 9 pm, all I have the energy for is some mindless TV.

Luckily, I've surrounded myself with friends who don't look down on me for that.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:25 PM

191 posts, read 212,050 times
In college I had more energy and more time to, I suppose, be interesting enough for my friends. Now I mostly have time to go to work, take care of elderly in-laws with health issues, pay bills, and once in awhile I get to be a mindless drone in front of the tube. The elderly in-laws came on the heels of getting our kids started in life. Youngest kid out the door and then comes one parent in law with cancer and the other with heart problems. Not only do we need to care for them, we are also trying to upkeep the house they can no longer maintain themselves but refuse to move out of into something they can better handle (smaller house, one story, less yard, etc).

That nest wasn't empty long enough to get back to being interesting.

All three of my kids are college aged though; two have graduated and the other is halfway there. Being of the apparent college age criteria, they're pretty interesting; that is, when there's any time to actually see them.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:35 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How interesting do you need people to be? Adults have bills to pay, family obligations, and other responsibilities that they need to take care of. Not everyone wants or is able to do the things that they could as a student in the college bubble.
That's certainly true, but just because you have more responsibilities doesn't seem like a reason to change who you are fundamentally as a person. I would think an interesting person would remain interesting no matter how mundane the task (or at least their outlook on it).

It's that drastic change I'm trying to pin down, not so much the activities.

An analogy would be like a person who loves running suddenly stopping and gaining 300 lbs. Then trying to suggest sitting all day in a brand of chair is really where it's at because somebody on TV told them so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
They've grown up. Their lives have changed and their responsibilities have increased. I know that there are some days that wear me down so much that by 9 pm, all I have the energy for is some mindless TV.
I don't really associate the will or desire to think for myself and being grown up. I'm pretty sure those two things are very different.

I noticed you said some mindless TV, not all. It's an important distinction.

Assuming it's largely a case of increased responsibilities it seems to me that if you have to give up most everything you once enjoyed then that's a recipe for a terrible life.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:44 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I don't know that there is much to do about the situation other than find out if other people have had the same experience.

Lately I've been finding many of my old college friends (some of who were incredibly interesting) have become increasingly boring since school ended.

People change. Friends drift apart. I get that. But it seems like a total shift in personality.

It's enough to make you wonder if the people you knew were the people you knew at all.

Anyway, now I'm left wondering where have all the interesting people have gone?

That ever happen to you?
Not everybody wants to remain the party girl or party boy after college.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:46 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,323 times
Life changed for me drastically since I have been out of college. Now we work and pay bills. It was not a change in personality but a change in priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships