Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:25 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,518,651 times

Advertisements

I'm not a huge fan of it, but I suppose other folks can do what they want. I like kickstarter a little better - because there it is more of a venture capitalism project where you are trying to get people to buy in to some idea and they donate based on their belief or interest in the idea and sometimes getting some reward or benefit out of their investment rather than folks asking for free money for everything under the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 06:48 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
It makes me uncomfortable because there is no verification. I can start a GoFundMe page with a picture of my dying child, when that child doesn't even exist. I can then take the funds and go see Paris.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:03 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
It makes me uncomfortable because there is no verification. I can start a GoFundMe page with a picture of my dying child, when that child doesn't even exist. I can then take the funds and go see Paris.
Like this: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1784348

And this: Man Allegedly Keeps Crowdsourced Funds Raised in Sick Baby's Name - ABC News

And this: Fake GoFundMe accounts set up for dead 4-year-old from North Carolina | Daily Mail Online

And this: Family Claims Funding Page Set Up for Fire Victims is Fake | NBC Chicago

And this: Family accused of setting up fake GoFundMe account for daughter | www.krmg.com

And this: Family: GoFundMe site for West Linn teen a hoax | KOIN.com

It's sad really. Searching "fake gofundme" comes back with soooooo many different hits. I don't think I would ever donate through the site. If I'm going to give to someone, I would rather give to them in person. But we live in a world where everything has to be accomplished by clicking.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
Like everything else that started out with good intentions, it has been taken advantage of.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:12 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I understand its point, but I certainly think a lot of people use it for rather mundane and not serious purposes.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
GoFundMe requests don't bother me at all, and in fact, I think it's a great idea. I've donated to a couple of medical related requests for help from people I know. One was the daughter of a coach at my daughter's school. Both parents were teachers and the little girl has a form of brain cancer. Their out of pocket costs were going to be in excess of $20,000. I was happy to help out.

Another adult daughter of a friend has to have heart surgery for a congenital defect and again was looking at many thousands in co-pays. I have no problem making a donation.

Another woman I know has cancer and she's receiving injections to increase her platelet count and each injection has an $1,800 copay. She and her husband both work and have 2 kids. If someone started a GFM campaign on her behalf I'd gladly contribute.

I think it's odd that the same people who blast welfare recipients for receiving aid also disapprove of GoFundMe campaigns, because I thought an argument against welfare was that churches and other community organizations exist to help people in need. Or maybe they just don't believe anyone ever has a real need.

I see lots of requests I don't respond to, and I would never contribute to a stranger, but if I know someone is in real need and is facing crushing debt, I apply the Golden Rule and help them out.

Last edited by Marlow; 05-08-2015 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 08:52 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I'm not a huge fan of it, but I suppose other folks can do what they want. I like kickstarter a little better - because there it is more of a venture capitalism project where you are trying to get people to buy in to some idea and they donate based on their belief or interest in the idea and sometimes getting some reward or benefit out of their investment rather than folks asking for free money for everything under the sun.
Agree with the support of Kickstarter. We've contributed to a successful Kickstarter campaign. The difference is the purpose of the websites. Kickstarter tends to be for start-up ideas (business). GoFundMe tends to be for anything under the sun (personal needs).

Old 05-08-2015, 09:01 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Moderator cut: warning

Just a quick reminder that any derogatory remarks (rants) about welfare recipients are deleted as off topic and subject to infractions

Old 05-08-2015, 09:27 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
A very dear friend's teenager has just been diagnosed with bone cancer. A group of friends, with the mom's approval, is starting a gofundme page. For some reason this makes me very uncomfortable, asking friends for money. I'm sure a large part of it is my age, 45+, and another part is I grew up with the idea that finances were private. Am I the only one?

I understand it's my decision to donate or not.

Also, does anyone have a ballpark what cancer treatment costs if a family has the average private health insurance policy?
This one wouldn't bother me at all. Cancer costs get to be huge.

When I see them for cars, honeymoons, etc, I think its extremely tacky. But this family will likely have costs that you can't imagine.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:42 AM

733 posts, read 853,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
A very dear friend's teenager has just been diagnosed with bone cancer. A group of friends, with the mom's approval, is starting a gofundme page. For some reason this makes me very uncomfortable, asking friends for money. I'm sure a large part of it is my age, 45+, and another part is I grew up with the idea that finances were private. Am I the only one?

I understand it's my decision to donate or not.

Also, does anyone have a ballpark what cancer treatment costs if a family has the average private health insurance policy?
The cost of cancer isn't just the outright medical expenses. It's not being able to serve food normally, not able to have a normal schedule, etc.

Out of pocket expenses can be huge, and since treatment is so expensive, just the % the family must pay that insurance doesn't cover can also be huge.

GOFUNDME for REAL life-altering events doesn't bother me at all.

I see you have not been faced with watching your child fight cancer. Parents with a HEART would do ANYTHING to try to save the child's life. If that means "begging," they'd do it and with head held high. I'd do ANYTHING for my child.

The slackers and nuts on gofundme p*ss me off. They are going to ruin it for those who really need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships