Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 12:24 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I met up with a high school friend that I hadn't seen in almost thirty years a few months ago. We didn't miss a beat. There's something about friends that you had in your developing years. I can't explain it, but it's there. I think the Stephen King movie "Stand by Me" had a perfect line about friends. If any of you have not seen that film, you should.

Maybe I've just been lucky. I've met up with three friends from " back in the day " and we all clicked. Maybe because we keep up with one another on social media, and maybe because we just had so much in common to begin with. I posted a bunch of old pictures to FB a few years back, and one of my guy friends said " Thanks. Now I have to go watch The Breakfast Club again" bwahahaha. I love those a-holes !
I couldn't rep you at the time but now have. I have never ween either film but may take you up on it.

On a separate note one of the better tennis players at my club is about to turn 91. He still remembers my father as a friend, from 75 to 80 years ago. My father died in 1973 but they grew up together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 01:58 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I totally relate. Too bad I can't rep you again just yet.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I have at least three ongoing deep and subsisting friendships from that era.
  1. One I met during fall 1965. We were close through the junior high school years ending in spring 1971, and renewed our friendship during fall 1972 when he was goalie and I was fullback on the JV soccer team. When my father died in 1973 his family had me over to dinner. After a hiatus of just not being in touch much (other than seeing The Shining together when that came out in summer 1980) we both found ourselves members of the same beach and tennis club during 1984 and have been close friends since. He was "my side of the marriage" signer of the Jewish wedding document the Katubah during May 1991, and we play tennis or otherwise gather about five or six times a year;
  2. One of the subjects of Advice on Upcoming Tense 40th High School Reunion, I met and became friendly with around the time Nixon was re-elected in 1972. We have on and off been close friends, even though his uber level of intelligence makes dealings with him chancy;
  3. One I met on a teen tour in 1973. He was the best main at my 1991 wedding and my wife and I had cocktails with him two weekends ago when we went to Philadelphia on other business.
I think it's a combination of similarity in background and upbringing as well as shared experiences. Ironically I think having separate adult social and professional orbits helps in maintaining these friendships. There are things each of us will confide in the other because of the lack of professional or other consequences.

Ironically, my other very close friend is my mentor and employer from 1986 to 2014 is in my professional circle. He sends me work and I help him with his work still. There are obviously things I cannot really tell him, and vice versa. We both understand that.
May I say something in confidence? No, this is the Internet, but when I contacted one of my high school friends on the site we can't mention here, my message was, " good to see you again, Mr. Deputy District Attorney. I have a picture of you smoking a bowl, how much is it worth to ya?" he laughed at me. I saw him two years ago.

And the planets are lining up. I got a call frome my mentor yesterday. Memory Lane is such a pleasant street.

Last edited by NLVgal; 07-15-2017 at 02:08 PM..

Old 07-15-2017, 02:06 PM

Okay, I have another weird one to share on this topic. My people came from Bullhead City, Az. Know where two of my buddies met again five or ten years later? The Whitehouse. One was a paramedic and the other was in the Honor Guard. Both stationed for an event at the Whitehouse.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:53 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
May I say something in confidence? No, this is the Internet, but when I contacted one of my high school friends on the site we can't mention here, my message was, " good to see you again, Mr. Deputy District Attorney. I have a picture of you smoking a bowl, how much is it worth to ya?" he laughed at me. I saw him two years ago.

And the planets are lining up. I got a call frome my mentor yesterday. Memory Lane is such a pleasant street.
Use DM's for confidential material. I am an attorney and must keep confidentiality. But if the example you gave wasn't in jest, people should be extremely careful about ever admitting to illegal activity. Or allowing it to be photographed.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:06 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,232 times
About 7 years back, I added a friend on Facebook who was my best friend from 1st grade through 3rd grade.

He didn't even remember me when I messaged him and told him who I was. Almost 20 years had passed since we had seen each other, maybe 18-19 years.

My best friend and I have been best friends since we were 12 years old, so that's 22 years now. We've never lost touch since then and I don't even think we've went 6 months without seeing each other in that time. We live 300 miles away and he has a job that takes him further away than that, but we see a lot of each other in May-September.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:20 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
late to the postings, yet here is my perspective.

I greatly look back at my friendships from childhood with endearing opinions. Plenty of memories and follies galore. I freeze time and all the emotions attached to it.

regretfully While I carry such precious delight, some who I have run across in adulthood,have inevitably buried that friendship and bid it adieu without my knowledge. Yes we all grow up, mature and have heavier burdens to encounter. Yet I do so wonder....what happened to that innocences...that wonderment that was shared so long ago. Was it a waste ? Why the distain?

There are a few childhood folks that I have no qualms in letting go of. Some girls remain mean thru out life I suppose.

Soon I tell myself...I will scout out in genuine concern for a few friends that meant alot to me...even if its to say, thank you ...thank you for being there when I didn't think well of myself or my home life.
One young childhood friend...Nicole.....was of a different heritage...and because we were going thru the civil rights movement....She and I could not be friends...(although we couldn't understand why not?) . But our town became very segregated...and more harm was done to our families if we remained friends...Her parents quickly sold their home...and moved. I knew even then it was the best thing they could do....it was terribly unsafe for them....I think of her often , how beautiful she was...and so humble and hospitable. I pray to someday see her...hopefully she hasn't buried the friendship...

Old 07-17-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Use DM's for confidential material. I am an attorney and must keep confidentiality. But if the example you gave wasn't in jest, people should be extremely careful about ever admitting to illegal activity. Or allowing it to be photographed.
It was way too long ago to matter now, but agreed in general principle.

Last edited by NLVgal; 07-17-2017 at 02:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships