Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:48 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

Our uncle's first wife passed away about a year ago. She was a wonderful person, and both she and my uncle had worked in the hotel business in NYC (no children). They retired and moved to South Florida where they both lived together for about 5 years.

So recently, our uncle started dating this widow who is about his age. They came over one day, and she was pleasant enough but you could tell that she was assertive in her own way. She said one thing that has left me wondering though. She said "she's had to teach him how to dress since they met." She said she's taken him on shopping trips to make over his entire wardrobe. I'm thinking that there was never anything that I could see wrong with his wardrobe. It didn't sound right to me. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:55 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
I dress how I want to dress. I imagine if I were told to wear something someone else likes but not me than it's not going to work.

Maybe your uncle likes the new style he is getting.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:56 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I think your uncle's wardrobe is of no concern to you.

He took her fashion advice.. so what? He may have even asked for it! Nothing wrong with new clothes and/or a new look. After all, he IS entering a new chapter in his life.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:15 AM

191 posts, read 212,108 times
Maybe you didn't see anything wrong with his wardrobe but maybe he did and maybe wanted a change? She helped. So what?

Any which way it came about I'm sure if he didn't want her help he'd tell her to bug off.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:18 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,335 times
Stay out of it. As my parents used to say "That's grown folks business!!"

Old 05-19-2015, 09:19 AM

Also, is there something wrong with her being assertive in her own way? If your uncle likes her enough to date her, she must not be so bad. As long as he likes her and they treat each other well, you should be happy for him.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:22 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Uncle is kind of a quiet guy. I think the make-over is something she wanted.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:24 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
As long as he can afford it, why would there be a problem? Are you worried he's spending part of any inheritance you might have hoped for on clothes? Why do you care?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:31 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
He must have wanted it too, or he would not take the time and spent the money to do so.

Is this really about his wardrobe... or are you unwilling to see him happy with someone else?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Is he helpless? Spineless? A mute? Did she hold a gun to his head in the dressing room?

If he's quiet as you say, maybe he didn't feel like expressing out loud to YOU that he didn't mind the makeover. Maybe he even enjoyed the attention.

I have four uncles on my dad's side alone and if I expressed such a concern, as a niece, they'd look at me like I'd been dropped on my head one too many times. I know for a fact my dad's quiet, sort of meek but very nice older brother would love to have a woman in his life and this kind of attention from a woman would be right up his alley. My dad while still living was already very fashionable and a woman trying to revamp him wouldn't have gotten far. Everyone's different.

It sounds like you just don't like her. You don't have to, only he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships