Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:02 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times

Advertisements

How to start? I always believed I would be "better" but is it a problem I LOVE my job?

I was a non-traditional student and earned a bachelor's degree in social work, I fully intended to move on to get my masters degree in social work. However, towards the end of my senior year,at the bachelor's level, it was apparent this career choice was not for me.

I worked as an attendant for seniors. It's a "low level" job, but it fits me, because #1. I have an anxiety disorder. #2. I have a learning disability.

As time went on, I decided to take a certified nurses assistant course. After applying to many agencies, I fell into hospice.

In a million years, I never imagined loving such a job. Is it horrid, I do not desire to return to school, and I am content where I am?

It's not a high level job. I, nearly, cried on my first day on the job and my place of employment did not frown on that behavior.

Perhaps, one day, I will return to school, but right now, it's nice to enjoy my job and have competency at what I am doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post

As time went on, I decided to take a certified nurses assistant course. After applying to many agencies, I fell into hospice.
I doubt any one will belittle you for working in hospice, its a tough job on an emotional level that is well appreciated by family and friends of the patient.If you are like most hospice workers i've met then thank you for doing what you do.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:27 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
I'll judge you, but not in the way you fear. You're doing a necessary job that very few of us are cut out for, and you're doing it willingly, which benefits your patients. Good for you.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I doubt any one will belittle you for working in hospice, its a tough job on an emotional level that is well appreciated by family and friends of the patient.If you are like most hospice workers i've met then thank you for doing what you do.
I get a dull feeling, I should be doing more. However, providing comfort is a focus in this job. Believe it or not, some of the patients and I have fun.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:29 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
Theres a lot to be said for fully enjoying a job that is always very necessary and helpful to so many in need.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:32 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
OP, there's nothing wrong with what you do. It sounds like you've found your calling.

I have to ask: is someone in the real world belittling you about this path?

If so, they are clueless. It takes special people to do hands-on patient care. Sure, classes can teach the skills, but it's also a calling.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
OP, there's nothing wrong with what you do. It sounds like you've found your calling.

I have to ask: is someone in the real world belittling you about this path?

If so, they are clueless. It takes special people to do hands-on patient care. Sure, classes can teach the skills, but it's also a calling.
I belittle myself, I was watching "Criminal Minds" and they said they were profiling someone with a "...low level job...". I think I am my own worst enemy.

I was hired a year ago, per diem, and I tried to avoid the job. It scared me. Now, I realize while the job is serious at times, there are many rewards to this path. I wish I can be the one finding a cure for the diseases I see, but ...

Old 05-31-2015, 07:46 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Quote:
I belittle myself, I was watching "Criminal Minds" and they said they were profiling someone with a "...low level job...". I think I am my own worst enemy.
Here's another way to think about it: those words were written by a writer who isn't doing your job! Lots of people who write for TV and blogs are ignorant about other aspects of the real world. That doesn't make them bad people, just clueless.

Just remind yourself that TV is not reality. Its main purpose is to entertain viewers. Even news programs seek to entertain and sometimes accuracy suffers.

Thank you for what you do! It really is a hard job.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:20 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:

I was hired a year ago, per diem, and I tried to avoid the job. It scared me. Now, I realize while the job is serious at times, there are many rewards to this path. I wish I can be the one finding a cure for the diseases I see, but ...
I work in nursing homes as an occupational therapist, and I want to tell you that you do NOT do a lowly job, you do a hard job that is low paid, that is very different! Your job is worth much more IMO than what you get paid for it. Most people could not do what you do, hold your head high.

You contribute much more to the world on a daily basis than most people.

Maybe one day if you want to get a better paying job, you might consider a 2 year degree program to become a COTA, certified OT assistant. We had students with all sorts of issues in my class, people who were drawn to the field because it helped them with their own struggles. I think you'll find your classmates and professors more compassionate than many fields. I would do it on a part time basis so you don't overwhelm yourself. Your current job is actually a great fit for being a part-time student, btw.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Get over this idea its a low level job and dont equate the quality of the job with how much money they are paying you.
You are bringing comfort and well being to people in the last moments of their lives,that is in no way low level..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships