Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:31 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times

Advertisements

The gold diggers are pretty easy to sort out. I have several FB friends that I have never met in real life, and we are real friends. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It's easy to unfriend and/or block someone if you decide it wasn't a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 01:35 AM

336 posts, read 441,993 times
The whole point of "social media" is just that, to be social, but as always, people in this coubtry with their loads of issues(anti social/ocd) have to ruin everything they touch.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:44 AM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Geeze, people are so paranoid nowadays. "Oh, don't accept that request, there's a 1 in a million chance that something bad could happen." Yes, I've accepted requests from strangers, I have 1,779 friends and probably haven't even met 10-15% of them in person. I've had an OCCASIONAL problem where people have tried to sell me stuff or messaged me and went straight into creep mode. If that happens, I delete them, but I give people the benefit of the doubt. I've even talked to someone from Haiti who randomly added me. That's pretty cool and something that people who close themselves off from the world don't get to do. To people who close themselves off, you're just making yourselves miserable inside those walls. Think about it, if you send someone a friend request (voluntarily) you have a reason.

I know it's hard, but the world would be a better place if we all learned to trust each other a little more.
I take your point, and if having hundreds of friends you haven't met makes you happy, then go for it. I would prefer to keep my friends list restricted to people I know and trust. I do enjoy meeting new people on C-D, though. Since I can be anonymous, there's no risk. It would be nice if we could all be more trusting. But with all the identity theft and phishing going on in the world today, and especially since I am female, I feel it's a wiser policy to guard my privacy.

I would rather not stop all friend requests on the chance that someone I'd really like to connect with might try to friend me. However, at the suggestion of others upthread, I checked the privacy settings on my profile. Facebook doesn't let you restrict your profile to friends only - all profiles including photos and gender are public - but I did make sure that all my other personal info such as marital status, employment, schools, home town, etc. can only be viewed by friends, and I have never shared my phone number or e-mail on Facebook. At the time I signed up, I didn't have a smartphone, so Facebook couldn't have harvested any of my personal data that way.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 05-20-2015 at 01:52 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 05:18 AM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Thumbs down Face Book Not Safe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Since joining Facebook, I have received a number of friend requests from people I don't know. Sometimes the person has a friend in common with me and got my name that way, but lately I've gotten friend requests out of the blue from complete strangers. I either ignore them or send a brief message explaining that I don't accept friend requests from people I don't know.

Yesterday a man who tried to friend me said that he meant no harm and apologized for intruding on my privacy, but he liked my profile and just wanted to be friends. I politely declined the request, but now I'm wondering if these friend requests are an attempt at phishing or identity theft? It's kind of creepy, like being stalked.
The whole web site is creepy. And yes there are those who use The Internet for dating. I hate these people and they meed to smoke their brains out and just leave every body else alone. However, I have left face book for ever. If some body does not know how to contact me out side of face book then they do not deserve the privilege of talking to me.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

MySpace didn't make you use your real name. Many people used screen names like we do here. Plenty of people on Facebook use fake names, too. I did on an old account. But when you create a Facebook account now, it wants your mobile phone number to verify who you are, and if you don't want to give it, it actually has the audacity to tell you it will accept a state-authorized ID instead. It has totally gone Big Brother.
I believe that one of the reasons to verify your identity is to make sure that you are not a child/tween who is not allowed to have an account.

About four or five years ago I was subbing at a middle school and a police officer was leading a discussion on internet safety. He asked the group of about 60 students (I think 6th or 7th graders) how many were 13 years old and about 4 students raised their hands. He then asked how many had Facebook accounts of their own and about 50 or more students raised their hands. I was absolutely stunned as I didn't even have a Facebook account at that time. The police officer then pointed out that it was illegal to have a Facebook account if you were 12 or under.

And proceeded to tell some pretty horrible stories regarding scams and abductions and other things that had happened right in our own area to children/tweens/teens who were not safe while using the internet.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:02 AM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
My account is private.
If we are not friends in person, we are not friends on Facebook.

I am plenty social in real life, so I don't need to have fake 'friends' via social media.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:06 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,765 times
Good Thread..
My new gig is great and at a classified facility where no electronics of any kind is allowed in any of our classified buildings, so much better then having people walking around looking like they lost their keys, lol. We actually get to talk from time to time on our free time, it's nice because our CAF is roomy with plenty of area to find our 2x2 quite space and free time.

Anyways, I have my privacy settings packed tight, I personally think Facebook is a good tracking tool for the simple stupid, careless is what careless does, so be very careful with your Intel out there...

I deleted about ten different friends request this morning when I found out it wasn't anyone I knew, sometimes, it might be my friends kids or friends of their kids which is harmless, not every one is really your friend, that being said, I never accept a friends request with out actually knowing them, never, always better to be old school, smarter, safer, and off grid. There it is..

Old 05-20-2015, 06:37 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I don't use my real last name on FB and don't have my photo set as my profile pic (it's my dog). I also have my privacy settings one shade off of the maximum. I don't have a lot of problems with strangers as a result.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:38 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I get them all the time. I accept the friendship then unfriend them.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I'm weird about stuff like that; unless I actually know you and don't mind having you all up in my business, I won't accept a Facebook friend request. Which explains why I only have 22 friends! I'm kind of over Facebook at this point, especially now that my husband opened an account and is cramping my style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships