Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 07:11 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times

Advertisements

I love my family, and I'd probably die for them if I had to, but aside from a few of them I just don't feel much need to be close to them, or really even much warmth and comfort being around them. My mother rarely calls me and generally refuses to hug me (she always claims she is sick) and is very needy and self-centered, even if sweet. I used to cut myself as a teenager because it was the only way she noticed my existence, as pathetic as that sounds. Her husband my stepfather refused to help me at my worst moment in life and was not very kind to me at all growing up. My dad calls me once a week and visits maybe once a year and while I enjoy talking to him on the phone and appreciate the gifts and money he sends me and definitely all the child support he gave us, I don't even feel like he totally "gets" or respects me.

In fact the only people in my family that really give me pure love and friendship without judgment are my sisters. Even though they are both my younger sisters, they are in many ways more "motherly" than my own mom and equally intelligent but far more curious and intellectual. I love my brothers too, but my older brother can be somewhat judgmental towards me and my younger brothers are much younger than me, and one of them is semi-mute and developmentally delayed so I don't really even know his personality that well.

My extended family is a mixed bag, but I don't feel crazy affection for any of them honestly. One of my grandmas was sweet but she's dead, I didn't cry at her funeral even though I miss her and was saddened by her death. The other grandma is cool but very self-centered and "business-like", not to mention judgmental of my supposed "failures". She's very new agey. Most of my mom's family are snobby rich people who feel superior to me and my immediate family. I like my dad's family a lot but I don't feel a strong need to be close to them. It's more like I'm very happy to see them but I never really even notice them not being around.

Sadly a lot of my friends have turned out somewhat phony too, or their personalities have just changed and we don't click anymore. Like I was really excited about meeting up with my old friend when I moved back here to Eugene, but he doesn't seem to care that I'm back.

I honestly don't feel like I have a home. America is just a really hostile and materialistic place, and the fact I have family here doesn't really compel me to stay. I'd rather live in a place where I can just be comfortable and enjoy life at my own pace, rather than having to choose between crushing poverty or homelessness and a workaholic career-centric lifestyle. I'd like to work 15 or 20 hours a week and live simply, but in this country it's either work all the time or be relegated to living off almost nothing.

I always thought I was cold hearted for not being super enthusiastic about and loyal to my family but honestly they aren't really that loyal to me, so why should I be? I love them, I think that's enough honestly.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
No. It's not "bad." A lot of people feel this way but it doesn't matter. Do what's best for YOU.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:51 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
My family is long-time military, so we've always been greatly separated geographically.

I had a military buddy years ago when we were stationed in Hawaii who was a Cajun from Louisiana. He thoroughly enjoyed being well out of "stop by anytime" range of his family.

But I think your attitude may change as you get older. While I have enjoyed a life of travel, and I'm mystified by people who have lived all their lives in one place, I'm still wistful of those who have enjoyed close physical relationships across generations. I wouldn't mind having the close relationship with my grandchildren as I had with my grandfather, for instance--he imparted a lot into me simply by including me in his life and business.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:27 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Nope. I live far away from all my family and prefer it that way.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
My parents and sibling are the only people I can truly, TRULY trust to me there for me.

Friends, as good as they can be I have learned, can totally disappear.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:01 AM

19 posts, read 17,582 times
It is not bad, don't bother yourself with that.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:11 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
I think your post was very honest and well-written. You do not need to justify why you don't care to be around your family. It's part of life, I think, to realize that you can be okay on your own sometimes. Maybe it will change in years to come, maybe not. But you'll be okay either way. There's no need to burn any bridges since you do love them. But it's okay to not want to hang out around them. I have some family members who I care about, but I don't have the desire to spend a lot of time around them. I get what you're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships