Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times

Advertisements

I don't know why everyone assumes the OP has a mental issue. When I was quite young, I had a physical issue that went undiagnosed because my doctors couldn't believe it was present in such a young person. Friends and family just figured it was depression or some such, and I should 'snap out of it'. It was a parent that became alarmed, and took me to a better medical center, where it was finally diagnosed correctly. It took a long time for me to become fully healthy again. I just could not believe how unconcerned the rest of the family, and people I had thought were good friends, had been.

There are many problems we all face in life. You learn in a big hurry who cares about you, and who doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 01:40 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I don't know why everyone assumes the OP has a mental issue.
Because in post #3 he says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter921 View Post
i had a mental illness problem

Old 05-21-2015, 02:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Perhaps they need you to stand on your own two feet for a change, instead of leaning on them all the time. I notice you seem to go job-to-job. Maybe they are tired of being your "fall-back" all the time.
I was just about to post something similar. Peter every post you make you are complaining people don't help you. Perhaps it is because you aren't helping yourself. You lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:30 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
I agree. Hopefully you can develop self-sufficiency. And maybe practice what you desire from others. Trust me; people will notice and respond to "all things that you want others to do to you if you likewise do to them." It is not always easy to show love, yet the effort is worth it. For one thing, you will be more loved by others. Also, you will experience happiness in doing the right thing, in giving of yourself for others because yes, "there is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving."

A survey of more than 20,000 couples showed that the happiest people were those who were good listeners. Good communication is vital in any kind of relationship. A professor of sociology wrote: "If you want to feel alone in a relationship, be with someone who hasn’t a clue about what you are going through. Or worse, someone who does have a clue but cannot understand why your pain is a big deal." She adds that even if two people are different in various ways, "if the other is sensitive to how you see the world and experience life, then those differences are unimportant." But if you want that kind of consideration, you have to practice giving it. And finally, just remember as a heartbreaking reality, that blood relations do not ensure love and affection nowadays. Love yourself enough to forgive those who are not as wise as you are when it comes to kindness.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 PM

206 posts, read 303,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Were you seeking treatment for your issues? If not, then they were probably right not to help you because it would only have enabled you to continue to be in denial about your problems.

I would help my sisters/family if they were in a bind, of course. But, if they demonstrate over and over again that they can't make good choices then at some point my help is going to stop. That doesn't mean I no longer care, but that I need to set some healthy boundaries. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with that personally.
them setting boundrys, or maybe its me that should have... i needed help at a time and that does not imply that people are supposed to come and help me with Everything! just with small things and that was one time in my life. what does that say about them if they cant do something simple like that? sounds like people just dont want to do anything

Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Those and many more.

Most people are ill-equipped to deal with mental illness. You should not hold that against them.
that is bolona, people may not be trained in it but they know what it is when a person is telling them to listen to what your telling them. they chose not to do anything about for a reason, dont forget some people DO know about mental illness around you. but what if they do nothing for you or tell you where to go or act caring even thoe you know they know what to do.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Perhaps they need you to stand on your own two feet for a change, instead of leaning on them all the time. I notice you seem to go job-to-job. Maybe they are tired of being your "fall-back" all the time.
HOW CAN YOU LEAN ON SOMEONE ALL THE TIME WHO DOES NOTHING FOR YOU? i dont get that, in the past they did not help me with any of my minor issues, so what did i lean on them for..

Old 05-21-2015, 07:35 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I agree. Hopefully you can develop self-sufficiency. And maybe practice what you desire from others. Trust me; people will notice and respond to "all things that you want others to do to you if you likewise do to them." It is not always easy to show love, yet the effort is worth it. For one thing, you will be more loved by others. Also, you will experience happiness in doing the right thing, in giving of yourself for others because yes, "there is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving."

A survey of more than 20,000 couples showed that the happiest people were those who were good listeners. Good communication is vital in any kind of relationship. A professor of sociology wrote: "If you want to feel alone in a relationship, be with someone who hasn’t a clue about what you are going through. Or worse, someone who does have a clue but cannot understand why your pain is a big deal." She adds that even if two people are different in various ways, "if the other is sensitive to how you see the world and experience life, then those differences are unimportant." But if you want that kind of consideration, you have to practice giving it. And finally, just remember as a heartbreaking reality, that blood relations do not ensure love and affection nowadays. Love yourself enough to forgive those who are not as wise as you are when it comes to kindness.
Everybody wants to be friends with the celebrity, with the rich person, with the winner.

Very few people will want to be friends with a poor loser or someone who's down on their luck......... It's the unfortunate reality of human nature.... People like those who can do something for them, or who give them something. People are selfish... It takes a special kind of person to overcome the selfish instinct and to actually give to another person who has nothing to give back in return!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter921 View Post
HOW CAN YOU LEAN ON SOMEONE ALL THE TIME WHO DOES NOTHING FOR YOU? i dont get that, in the past they did not help me with any of my minor issues, so what did i lean on them for..
I feel bad for you, reading your story. Are you really young? It sounds like you are having to deal with something that many people would not be strong enough to deal with. You probably feel betrayed by your whole family. Few people are able to handle that kind of rejection, and still live and carry on each day, so you should feel good about being able to take care of yourself! I think that you are probably more emotionally mature than your family, if they are so cruel to you, but you did nothing wrong to them. It sounds like they are "fair weather friends", they only want to be around people whose lives are perfect and problem free, but they run and hide the instant someone might need their help?
Just keep in mind that what they do to you, they also could be doing to each other. You have to decide if you want those kinds of emotionally distant people in your life or not. Sometimes, we have to go out and make our own family, because the family we were born in to is not caring or loving.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
How many times have they helped you in the past? How many times have you needed help. Are you following their advise or making the same mistakes over and over? I'm sort of relating this to things I've seen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships