Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:30 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times

Advertisements

Anyone else have a problem with friends and relatives who will call just to spend 20 or more minutes talking about something you couldn't care less about, such as -- this is an imaginary example -- the situation between Tom and Sue, two of your SIL's co-workers, who can't stand each other and are making your SIL's work life a hell on earth?

Look, I don't know Tom and Sue and I couldn't care less about their squabbles, so why must I be forced to waste 20 minutes or more of my time hearing about it! Three minutes. well, okay -- but why go on and on and on about it? Why do some people think that you are THAT interested in their workplace dramas involving people you don't even know?

I also dislike it when people will call with really nothing much to say. (I am not just talking about lonely old women here, as I know MANY people who will do this.) Why can't people come to the point and then just end the call?

Okay, rant off -- but if anyone has any ideas about how to discourage and/or end such calls without hurting feelings or lying, I'd love to hear them!

P.S. And, yes, I do know that there are MUCH worse problems than this one, but this is just a major irritation to me that I just wanted to vent about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 02:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
How hard is it to say, "Hey, I need to go"?

You're not saying why you need to go, but you're going nonetheless.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:37 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
If you need to get off of the phone but can't figure out how to sign off, just hang up in the middle of a sentence - when YOU are speaking. Then don't answer when they call back. Next time you see them and they ask about it, just claim that the phone malfunctioned.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:37 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
This is why I prefer texting if all possible. Makes conversations a lot shorter.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:39 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
Or just hang up. If they ask what happened, say the battery got run down. They probably wont get the hint.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Anyone else have a problem with friends and relatives who will call just to spend 20 or more minutes talking about something you couldn't care less about, such as -- this is an imaginary example -- the situation between Tom and Sue, two of your SIL's co-workers, who can't stand each other and are making your SIL's work life a hell on earth?

Look, I don't know Tom and Sue and I couldn't care less about their squabbles, so why must I be forced to waste 20 minutes or more of my time hearing about it! Three minutes. well, okay -- but why go on and on and on about it? Why do some people think that you are THAT interested in their workplace dramas involving people you don't even know?

I also dislike it when people will call with really nothing much to say. (I am not just talking about lonely old women here, as I know MANY people who will do this.) Why can't people come to the point and then just end the call?

Okay, rant off -- but if anyone has any ideas about how to discourage and/or end such calls without hurting feelings or lying, I'd love to hear them!

P.S. And, yes, I do know that there are MUCH worse problems than this one, but this is just a major irritation to me that I just wanted to vent about!

When they start the topic change the subject or tell them you have to get off of the phone then hang up.
It really is not that difficult to take control of a conversation.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:45 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Hanging up is a good idea. and I do use the "gotta go" excuse often, but there are some people who do this almost every time they call -- and unless I would flat-out say, "Look, I find that subject really boring" -- which I don't feel comfortable doing with people I care about (or, really, almost anyone else for that matter) -- they would not get the hint.

(I do have absolutely no problem hanging up on telemarketers mid-intro, though!)

P.S. I don't have a phone with a texting option, and I don't want one. (I'm a 61-year-old dinosaur.)

Old 05-21-2015, 02:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,428 times
Ugh, I get caught in these traps too. How about when they need to tell you about a movie they saw.. "and this woman had a son, who she gave up for adoption, and the son went on to be a lawyer, but the woman, this woman, married a man who was abusive, so she killed him and then when she was being tried, she didn't know it was her son who..." omggggggggggggggg. LOOK AT THAT. I just spilled coffee all over my keyboard.. gotta go. Will call you back.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:47 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
One day, not long ago, a woman in our group was starting to talk about someone. A person asked if we knew these people and why would we care anything about them. She got the idea, can't say "hint" in this case.

You have to stop these people as soon as they start.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Also, there's Caller ID for precisely this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships