Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:56 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times

Advertisements

I would not tolerate a whistler in the workplace for even a minute. I would be in their face and I would make it stop, one way or the other. It is extremely poor behavior, and is completely narcissistic and rude. I don't really care how good you think you are, it is a bad sound, and is abusive to most people.

God, I can't believe it is being defended in any way, shape, or form.

Routinely whistling in public is facial flatulence, and anyone who does this should stop immediately. It's one thing in the privacy of your home, but it is unacceptable behavior in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 12:46 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Whistlers, who seem to be almost exclusively male, are very annoying.

Whether it's 5:30 a.m. while waiting for a subway, or walking down a long hallway in a public place, I occasionally encounter a whistler.

Annoying!

I just want peace and quiet.

Am I being selfish?

Who wants to hear a happy tune or some mysterious song? What's wrong with silence?

Do they think they're bringing joy to people around them, or they're just in their own world?

Yes, you are being selfish and very touchy.

I think it's a cool ability, it sounds cheery, and I wish I could whistle so that I could do it.

But you're not alone, bostonguy. People ARE getting touchy, and on these forums I've read all kinds of complaints about innocuous stuff like this. And I used to have my moments when people gabbed loudly and non-stop on their cellphones - made me want to scream! - but it doesn't happen so much anymore.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
My grandfather used to whistle a lot, usually the same tune. He's old and unwell now, and I doubt he has whistled in years. I miss it. Other people's whistling doesn't bother me, and I admire the people who can whistle really loudly. I never learned the two-finger whistle.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:50 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
You're waiting for a subway and you want peace and quiet? I love the way some men can whistle so well! Pretty! It's music! And they have to be happy to whistle, don't they? Expressing happiness is better than being grouchy, imo.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:05 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,894 times
Generally speaking, whistling is associated with happiness. It doesn't bother me at all to hear people sounding happy.

I am a whistler, although not in public so much.
My grandma was a person who hummed a lot. I found myself humming a bit yesterday and it made me happy to think that I have that part of her within me.

I'd rather hear whistling in public than burping, farting, snorting, hacking, cell phone talking, and people screaming at kids, personally.

I love hearing an old fella doing that warbling whistle that so many of them do. I think it's charming and it makes me smile. It's lacking in self consciousness and that's what appeals to me, I think. Someone is enjoying themselves and making their own music. That's actually pretty nifty.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:21 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Yes, you are being selfish and very touchy.
Good grief, some of you are truly ridiculous. Someone mentioning inconsiderate public behavior, is now selfish and 'very touchy'?

Why is it so hard to grasp that different things are annoying to different people? It is selfish to think otherwise. I guess whatever annoys YOU is the exception, right?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:06 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You're waiting for a subway and you want peace and quiet? I love the way some men can whistle so well! Pretty! It's music! And they have to be happy to whistle, don't they? Expressing happiness is better than being grouchy, imo.
Whistling has NOTHING TO DO WITH HAPPINESS. It's a nervous habit like foot tapping or nail biting or knuckle cracking.

It could be a mild variant of Tourette's Syndrome. Many TS people whistle.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Don't you live alone? It takes a bit longer when the person
who lives with you whistles.
Oh in that case, if I lived with one I'd slit his throat...easy fix.

(Government/Homeland scanners: I'm kidding.)

Old 05-24-2015, 12:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
OK, we're good. If she is within 700 miles of Portland, she is 1800+ miles from me. That's an adequate buffer.
Gosh u make me laugh...can't give u anymore reps, tho!

Old 05-24-2015, 12:33 PM

99,542 posts, read 4,490,935 times
I find that I whistle when I am very annoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships