Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:23 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times

Advertisements

Do you like your friend's spouses? Would you stop being friends with someone if you didn't like their partner? In this scenario we are talking about people in long term committed relationships, not just some dude or chick your friend is seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 04:37 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
My best friend is with a girl who he has cheated on several times and taken a break once but it has been a 6 year relationship and everyone hates her. I literally mean everyone. We all tried to be nice and polite but she is the biggest B in the world. After she blew up at me on a birthday beach trip for him about a year ago and told me to F off (I read the headline to a USA today article to my friend and it was too conservative for her, I guess), I told her off and told my friend that I won't be seeing her again ever. His other two best friends completely hate her and also refuse to see her. One of them hates her way more than me and even gave her a funny but terrible nickname.

It hasn't ruined our friendship by any means but it led to several awkward weeks of not seeing him or talking to him after her blow up. Even now, it does mean there are times I just don't see him or he doesn't hang out with his other friends because it's an either / or thing.

I sometimes think it's a bummer and wish we could all try to get along again, but then I remember she's the anti-Christ and it would never work. He keeps saying he'll find a new girl eventually but he never does. It's so annoying.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:08 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I like all my friend's spouses, but its happened a couple of times that my husband hasn't liked the guy and doesn't want to get together with them as a couple.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:18 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
My best friend is with a girl who he has cheated on several times and taken a break once but it has been a 6 year relationship and everyone hates her. I literally mean everyone. We all tried to be nice and polite but she is the biggest B in the world. After she blew up at me on a birthday beach trip for him about a year ago and told me to F off (I read the headline to a USA today article to my friend and it was too conservative for her, I guess), I told her off and told my friend that I won't be seeing her again ever. His other two best friends completely hate her and also refuse to see her. One of them hates her way more than me and even gave her a funny but terrible nickname.

It hasn't ruined our friendship by any means but it led to several awkward weeks of not seeing him or talking to him after her blow up. Even now, it does mean there are times I just don't see him or he doesn't hang out with his other friends because it's an either / or thing.

I sometimes think it's a bummer and wish we could all try to get along again, but then I remember she's the anti-Christ and it would never work. He keeps saying he'll find a new girl eventually but he never does. It's so annoying.

Well, she's apparently a horrible person, but he's a cheater. These people deserve each other. I find it strange that you think her bad behavior is worse than his.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I can separate if someone has a spouse I don't like. My best friend married a guy I didn't care for. Over time I started to like him more, but not someone I would choose to hang out with.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:47 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Well, she's apparently a horrible person, but he's a cheater. These people deserve each other. I find it strange that you think her bad behavior is worse than his.
Why would that be strange? I don't care at all about her. She's a horrible witch and not my friend. Cheating is wrong but at the same time my friend felt bad about it and it was a long time ago, she knows about it too, and she chose to stay with him or at least continue to do whatever it is they are doing. My friend is a good guy and very loyal and trustworthy as a friend.

You act like I should care equally about my best friend and some girl he dates. That's his business and I can't ever see him cheating on a girl he really cared about. She's a convenience and nothing more. Fortunately I think they will finally be parting ways soon - I hope - as he just got a job as a police officer two hours south of where we live.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:00 AM

269 posts, read 371,181 times
Yes one of my good friends is with a girl I am not particularly fond of, not because she doesn't treat my friend well or anything, she's just not my sort of person. But I don't despise her, and I would not stop being friends with him over her. They are happy together and I'm glad for him.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:27 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Do you like your friend's spouses? Would you stop being friends with someone if you didn't like their partner? In this scenario we are talking about people in long term committed relationships, not just some dude or chick your friend is seeing.
I support my friends even if I dislike their spouses, especially when I dislike how they're being treated. It's their life. They're going to do whatever they want to do. Nothing I can change about that. And, walking out on a friend isn't really a true friendship if it's over their spouse.

But, if they started to change to become like their spouses, that's a different story.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:03 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times
Close friends, no I would not let it effect our friendship. I just deal with it. If the person is an acquaintance of mine, I would most likely avoid them. This is exactly what is going on with a couple of friends right now.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I had stopped inviting one friend to my home if she has to bring her boyfriend, because they are both drunks, and when they are both there, they wind up having to spend the night because they can't drive, and I am tired of babysitting these morons that can't handle their alcohol.

As a matter of fact, after this weekend I will probably not ever invite her to my house again, because she brought him over on Saturday. I didn't say anything to her about it and was hoping they would behave themselves, but that didn't happen. No, instead, he got high and passed out cold and was barely breathing. I had to call 911 and get them to the house while other guests tended to the stoner. After the paramedics got there, I went through the kitchen and there was my friend, doing shots while her boyfriend was being tended to by EMTs. After I cussed her out, she walked outside and sat down next to where they were, but in a few minutes she came back, and somehow tripped over the lip of the patio, face-planting into the sliding glass door. The EMTs then had to administer aid to her.

I called them a cab and told them I am done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships