Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:02 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Well as I said my mother does not mind so I think $150 is enough. At the end of the day its my money and I can spend it on what I like.

My sister is just a juvenile brat. It does not matter what I do, for I will always be the wicked witch of the west to her.
Yeah...Til you both get a bit older and this will change. Hang in there. Do what you do out of the goodness of your heart, it will eventually come back to you. Have a happy vacation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:08 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Thank you.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

How much was the base price of the round trip ticket from England to Washington, DC?

If it cost 300 (somethings) to upgrade the ticket one way I am guessing the the original ticket was rather pricey? Did you parents pay for the original ticket?

If, let's say your round trip ticket cost your parents $1,000 or even more then the gift to your mum of $150 does not really seem like a lot.
I'm still wondering how much your parents paid for your plane ticket. Unless they got a super good deal I am betting that it cost them a lot of money. And then there will be hotel bills and restaurant bills and many other expenses during the vacation.

I hope that you said "Thank you, Mom & Dad, I really appreciate that you are taking me along on this vacation." Since you keep talking about "my money" I am assuming that you are out of school, working full time and living on your own. I am sure that you are aware that a lot of parents (of course not all) stop taking their adult children along on family vacations once their children are adults and on their own.

I really do hope that you have a wonderful vacation with your family, but now that you are an adult and supporting yourself it is even more important to be thankful for everything extra that you parents do for you.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:20 PM

I live with my parents.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:13 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Well as I said my mother does not mind so I think $150 is enough. At the end of the day its my money and I can spend it on what I like.

My sister is just a juvenile brat. It does not matter what I do, for I will always be the wicked witch of the west to her.
Interesting . . . I didn't realize that The Wizard of Oz was influential enough in England to engender that particular phrase over there.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:37 AM

Yep it sure is lol. We use a lot more American phrases than before due to mostly television.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:23 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
I live with my parents.
Somehow I missed this. So you live with your parents, and you think your mom doesn't mind that you had enough money to sit in business class, away from the people who paid for your ticket, when you can't even find your own place to live?

If I were your mom, I wouldn't buy another plane ticket for you again, and upon our return from vacation, I would hand you your walking papers.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:27 AM

569 posts, read 780,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Somehow I missed this. So you live with your parents, and you think your mom doesn't mind that you had enough money to sit in business class, away from the people who paid for your ticket, when you can't even find your own place to live?

If I were your mom, I wouldn't buy another plane ticket for you again, and upon our return from vacation, I would hand you your walking papers.
This is exactly what I was driving with my earlier post. OP is living (and apparently doing much of his travel) off his/her parents' generosity, and thanks them by paying for an upgrade for himself. That's pretty audacious and I'm now convinced that that's what the sister has a problem with.

OP, you did a nice job of burying the truth and it took five pages of comments before you got around to painting a clearer picture. I think you should probably take all those previous comments taking you're side with a grain of salt. Seems like you're pretty selfish and ungrateful.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:37 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
I upgraded one way to Washington. I have said to my parents that if they didn't want me to upgrade I would not, I paid about £300 as the cabin is empty. I could never afford to fly business class normally so I wanted to try it out as I thought that £300 was alright.

Then my sister started saying how I was spoilt for upgrading and leaving them all sitting in economy, I consulted my parents before and said that I wanted to upgrade but felt guilty, my parents said they didn't care and thought it was a waste of money, I said that if I could afford to I would upgrade them. I don't intend on really using Business class again as i'd rather just use the money for something else.

My sister has went on a tirade about how selfish I am and that I am a terrible son to my parents, I feel really guilty right now. Obviously i'm not rich so this is a unique experience, I didn't see it as selfish as I am paying for it myself and they could do it if they so pleased! I figured that if they wanted to upgrade they could do it.

The flight is over 6 hours but not to bad so I thought that it wouldn't be an issue. What do you think?
In my opinion if you are traveling together you stay together. Just good manners. But it isn't any better manners to call you on it and you did ask your parents.

Business travel is different since business travelers have so many levels and cards nowadays. Family is different.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:55 AM

And how do you know I didn't pay my portion??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships