Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 01:53 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

I truly am sorry for those whose disabilities make it impossible for them to live on their own. However, although there ARE many people like that, there are ALSO many people who choose to be takers and spongers, and I have absolutely no sympathy for them -- and I would not voluntarily give them even one penny that I had earned (unless there were children involved).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 02:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
Even though it's obvious this woman is helpless , vulnerable,at wit's end, and without resources, and can't figure out what to do for herself, you are still advocating that her BROTHER dump her out in the street. Really? and not even a $1000 card to help her survive for the next month ? Well what if he can afford it?

wow. I just can't believe some people's heartlessness. all these people are thinking about is "tenant laws" "eviction" etc. wow. no wonder this country has a million homeless, in the land of plenty, where cold hearts rule and people treat family worse than dogs.

She'll do fine. Women have all sorts of safety nets. Of course if it was a man, things would be tougher for him, but women all find shelter and a meal somewhere. She would do better among her own kind, picking up street survival skills.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
P.S. Plenty of obese 46-year-olds getting hired every day. Can it with the fat hate.
I agree with this.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:24 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
Even though it's obvious this woman is helpless , vulnerable,at wit's end, and without resources, and can't figure out what to do for herself, you are still advocating that her BROTHER dump her out in the street. Really? and not even a $1000 card to help her survive for the next month ? Well what if he can afford it?

wow. I just can't believe some people's heartlessness. all these people are thinking about is "tenant laws" "eviction" etc. wow. no wonder this country has a million homeless, in the land of plenty, where cold hearts rule and people treat family worse than dogs.

Blah blah blah blah blah

She can come live with you since you are so concerned. You will not guilt me into changing my opinion.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:29 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
P.S. Plenty of obese 46-year-olds getting hired every day.
Not if they don't leave their house.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:50 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Not if they don't leave their house.
That's why the OP needs to start formal eviction proceedings. It may take another three months, and there goes the whole summer with this woman running the AC all day while they're at work, etc.

Also, not for nothing, but I would wonder if she has some kind of drug or alcohol problem. Call it a violation of privacy if you must, but I would take a look in her room while she's in the shower to make sure she's not some kind of addict.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:51 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
OMG, folks. Those who are screaming about "compassion," please, just stop. Until you've been in a situation where a relative is running up your utility bills, eating your food, and putting wear and tear on your house without so much as chipping in by doing housework or paying rent, you really have no talking room.

I went through this with none other than my father. My mother left the house to my sisters and me. Three of us lived out of state. One of us lived in the house in an apartment with a separate entrance. One sister and her hub had four kids in elementary school. The mortgage was in my father's name and he refused to pay it. None of us could afford to pay our own rents/mortgages and also pay the mortgage on the house, so we wanted to sell it.

He would not leave. He knew that if we didn't pay the mortgage, the bank would take the house and then we couldn't sell it, and he was bound and determined to have us spend every penny of my mother's life insurance on paying the mortgage so he could live there rent free. On and on, months of this spiteful, domineering, entitled, narcissistic crap, even though three of us offered to share the proceeds from the sale of the house with him, just cut him a check and call it a day, because after all, he did make improvements to the house that increased its value, and he did help pay for it when we were kids. The fourth, a narcissist herself, got into a power struggle with him and wanted to put the money into a trust that she would control. Yeah, right. Ever see two narcissists go at it? There's a show for you. Bottom line is we put the house on the market, anyway, and figured we'd deal with the rest once it was sold.

Then he got Lyme disease and wound up in the hospital. From his hospital bed, he filed a lis pendens on the house, claiming partial ownership, meaning that any sale we made would be subject to the terms of the lis pendens if he won. In other words, if we sold the house and he won, he could claim partial ownership from the new owners, thus effectively keeping buyers away because who wants to take that kind of risk?

Then he did something stupid. He left a threatening message on my sister's answering machine from his hospital bed. That's a felony. As this sister is the one who lived in the house, we evicted him by getting a restraining order against him. The court also threw out his lis pendens on the grounds that he didn't have me served properly. The judge lectured him something fierce, saying, "So, if you go sleep on your friend's couch, are you going to file a lis pendens on his house, too?"

Yet he landed on his feet by taking up with a woman down in Florida. He borrowed money from friends and rented a nice little apartment not far from the water. People like this always land on their feet when they have no other choice.

In the meantime, he lost three of his daughters (the one with all the kids was so far removed from the situation that she kept in touch with him after the legal crap was over and it was safe for her to do so without threatening the case for the rest of us). And he received absolutely nothing from any of us when we sold the house. He was also barred from showing up at my wedding.

Yes, my FATHER. Walk a mile in the OP's shoes or mine, people. Until then, keep your self-righteous condemnations to yourselves.

P.S. Plenty of obese 46-year-olds getting hired every day. Can it with the fat hate.

This story is a terrible analogy compared to this thread. That being said, I urge you to forgive your dad. Consider reaching out to him and reconciling your relationship.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:40 AM

259 posts, read 268,357 times
OP, what state do you live in? That will inform you of any legal actions, if needed, that you can take. It's really all up to you -- we've all said our piece.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:56 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Starting a business is different.

Imagine one job every 2 weeks on a Fri... $80.
Then, one-once a month $80...on a Wed.
then another once-a-monther...$80 on another Wed...that is already $320 she didn't
have before....and slowly more will come if she does what she says...comes on time mainly.

That's only 3 people, see...it really is possible....a couple more and she has $480 a month...and she has only worked 24 hours in one month.
It really does build with referrals.

Also, contact VRBOs in the area cleaning ops there, also, but starting at $10 and
working up to $15.

(Vacation Rentals By Owner)
This will work and I know because I have seen it happen. However if you have any kind of drug arrests or shoplifting etc forget it. But that holds true for almost any job.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:39 PM

195 posts, read 231,490 times
Default Update

UPDATE:

My sister refuses to leave and unless we can get a court order we are stuck with her in our home.

She never leaves the house so we can't lock her out. If we could get her to leave she would become homeless and likely die out there. We just don't see what we can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships