Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 11:00 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I don't want my photo taken and didn't even have photos taken at my wedding. I don't care whether other people dislike that or think it's "weird," it's my life and my decision. {snip}
As weird as that decision was with respect to your wedding (although I think it's unbelievably selfish with respect to your loved ones and especially your parents, and had I been your dad I'd taken photos ANYWAY and TOLD you how silly you were being), that's one thing, especially if the facility enforced this as a requirement in the private property domain. However, in public, IT IS NOT your decision to not be photographed (although, again, I'm all for not being all in somebody's face). It never has been, and unless you're in France or in an Amish community, it simply isn't a requirement. That's not only how it is, it's how it SHOULD be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Take all the pictures you want. My family and I will move out of your way and let you do your thing without us in the scene.
That's absolutely fine, I certainly would have no problem honoring that. The only thing is--well, let me tell you this story.

A few years ago my son & I were at a garage sale. He was 2 at the time, if I recall. This other girl there, about 12, saw him and just thought he was so cute, she couldn't restrain herself and started picking him up and holding him. I thought it was sweet and precious myself. I took a photo of the occasion.

A few minutes later, a woman, apparently this child's mother, came by and asked me to delete the photo, saying she didn't know me and it made her uncomfortable. I was polite, but I explained that my OWN CHILD was in the photo and that I wasn't one for deleting photos of my own child if I didn't need to. Also, I pointed out that I could've chosen to have taken offense over her child coming over and picking my child up without even asking if it was okay, but that I instead saw it for the beautiful and precious encounter which it was. I offered to relay a copy to her once I was home with it, but she declined.

I still have the photo.

Not that I should have to explain my photography to people who aren't into photography, but I will say this--that was 4 years ago. That girl, if she was 12, is now 16 and driving--yet, in that photo, she's forever 12 and simply a child who, in all her preciousness, found my child adorable and, with all the innocence you'd WANT in such a situation, simply made herself to home and interacted with my child that way. 20 years from now, she will be a 36 year old woman now grappling with middle age and wondering if she's still attractive to men, and I'll be approaching 70 years of age, and my son will be 26. Just think how precious that photo will be then, with all of that entering into the thought process? Yet, at the same time, in that photo, my son will ALWAYS be 1 and that girl will always be somewhere around 12, for all of eternity.

THAT is why I take photos. THAT is why I will never let the opinions of a bunch of ignoramuses pollute this wonderful and most noble pursuit. (Note: I am NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU, but about people who think that if you take a photo you MUST MUST MUST ALWAYS ask permission and if they say no you MUST MUST MUST stop taking photos, even in these sorts of situations.)

So, if your family is there, no I'm not going to bug or pester you if you've said you'd rather not, of course I will try and respect that. However, if such an encounter as what I just described occurs, and (say) your 4 year old boy comes over and hugs my son, yes I'm apt to photograph it, and if you protest, I'll assure you I mean no harm, you're not going to end up "tagged" and I'll offer you a photo--but no, that photo is staying on my memory card. Period.

Yes, I may well post it on my page, because while you may say "that's my child's likeness" my reply will be "it's a piece of history of my life and it's only natural to want to share it." I will possibly thus do so, NOT "tagging" anyone, and telling people simply "this precious child, I don't even know his name, but they came and hugged my child, aww that's so sweet." Other people will agree, we'll move on, that will be the end of it--until sometime later when I'm combing through my hard drive JPEG, TIFF and RAW files and I come across that pose. I'll smile, with my heart all aglow about the preciousness of life and of living and of sharing your existence with such beautiful little people with huge hearts that belie their small stature, and my very countenance will shine inside of me.

It's a beautiful thing, and we would be wise to not let irrational paranoia spoil it.

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-24-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:12 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am a hobbyist photographer, and it's so important to me--yes, I will choose whom I interact with based on what they are okay with photos-wise. I may have interactions, LIMITED ones, with people who aren't OK with photos, but those interactions will be very limited. It's the most natural thing in the world for me to want to take photos of what's around me because one day all of the people and faces and surroundings etc will all be different, and I will cherish being able to look back on those photos years later and remembering.

Some fears are, to be blunt, silly, and I think need to be said as being such--respectfully, perhaps, but stated nonetheless. The fear of your photo being on the Internet is just silly, to be honest.

but yes--you have NO RIGHT to complain about being photographed IN PUBLIC when you CHOOSE to parade yourself around in basically nothing but your underwear. To think you do is just ridiculous.
Have you ever thought that someone might have security issues for reals? Maybe just moved into another city to escape a violent ex or so and when picture ends up to facebook or competition or so, that person is busted and she or he has to move again? Or worse, violent ex commits a new crime when knows where to find her.

Also people cannot live inside 4 walls because they are allowed to hunted by cameras by law. Should a person stop swimming just because that person does not want to be in your shots?

Should a person live without food because going to buy it is public space and once again someone is hunting her or him with a camera?

I take pictures of nature and animals but I leave people alone.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Have you ever thought that someone might have security issues for reals? Maybe just moved into another city to escape a violent ex or so and when picture ends up to facebook or competition or so, that person is busted and she or he has to move again? Or worse, violent ex commits a new crime when knows where to find her.

Also people cannot live inside 4 walls because they are allowed to hunted by cameras by law. Should a person stop swimming just because that person does not want to be in your shots?

Should a person live without food because going to buy it is public space and once again someone is hunting her or him with a camera?

I take pictures of nature and animals but I leave people alone.
The odds of any of that are 1 in a million, and I am not going to stop pursing my craft because of it.

If a person wants to CHOOSE to be paranoid and stop swimming because they don't want to end up incidentally in the background of shots, that's their decision. I'm not obliged to stop "hunting" (really, hunting?) because people are ignorant and paranoid. Such people don't know photography as I do and they're beneath telling me how to practice my craft.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
The odds of any of that are 1 in a million, and I am not going to stop pursing my craft because of it.

If a person wants to CHOOSE to be paranoid and stop swimming because they don't want to end up incidentally in the background of shots, that's their decision. I'm not obliged to stop "hunting" (really, hunting?) because people are ignorant and paranoid. Such people don't know photography as I do and they're beneath telling me how to practice my craft.
Yes, hunting.

Pictures in a paper and in files could exist long after you die. You don't know how other people are going to share and handle them. It would be nice to not be so selfish but thinking for others too.

You could take your pictures by thinking further consequences. People have their own will, it might make good to let them choose to swim and not end up into your pics.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:

THAT is why I take photos. THAT is why I will never let the opinions of a bunch of ignoramuses pollute this wonderful and most noble pursuit. (Note: I am NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU, but about people who think that if you take a photo you MUST MUST MUST ALWAYS ask permission and if they say no you MUST MUST MUST stop taking photos, even in these sorts of situations.)
I would throw a law suit against you. I think people should throw law suits more often in cases like this and start to suggest covernments to make it criminal in official. That is violating peoples identitety and freedom and can be dangerous for people who are in security programs.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:16 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
Ignorant, irrational, paranoid, selfish - simply because others have a preference that doesn't match yours. You may continue to snap photos unbidden and demand that you have the right to do so until someone takes exception to your insistence that you WILL take that picture and decides to put an end to your camera and possibly, you.

If a person asks you not to take a photo, why do you insist that they have some kind of mental defect? People have died running from photographers. Might there be someone out there who would turn the tables?

I've presented my side of the coin, as have several others - most of us quietly but firmly, while you grow more vociferous and insulting with each succeeding post. Which side more likely has the loose screw?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Ignorant, irrational, paranoid, selfish - simply because others have a preference that doesn't match yours. You may continue to snap photos unbidden and demand that you have the right to do so until someone takes exception to your insistence that you WILL take that picture and decides to put an end to your camera and possibly, you.

If a person asks you not to take a photo, why do you insist that they have some kind of mental defect? People have died running from photographers. Might there be someone out there who would turn the tables?

I've presented my side of the coin, as have several others - most of us quietly but firmly, while you grow more vociferous and insulting with each succeeding post. Which side more likely has the loose screw?
Considering that it's being suggested that one may MURDER over a photo, breaking a law to counteract a perfectly legal act, I think the conclusion is rather obvious.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:34 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I don't want my photo taken and didn't even have photos taken at my wedding. I don't care whether other people dislike that or think it's "weird," it's my life and my decision.
Not exactly. It's actually yours plus your newlywed husband's life and your (plural) decision. Assuming that both of you were on the same page, then yes, you're the ones who get to make that decision.

That said, unless your aversion to being photographed stems from religious objections, I find your decision to be appallingly selfish. In a broad sense, weddings belong not only to the bride and groom but also to the best man, the maid of honor, the bridesmaids and groomsmen, the parents of the bride and groom, and the honored guests of the couple. They also belong to the future children of the bride and groom, because their parents' wedding is an integral part of how they came to be.

But because you don't want your picture taken, they're all denied a key piece of memorabilia of this important event. Your choice? Yes. Selfish in the extreme, and even a bit spiteful? Yes.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:46 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Many posters have given valid reasons and you keep coming back with insults.

I've made up my mind when you said you took a picture of a child you did not know. And I don't want to hear about what rights you have.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
Quote:
Considering that it's being suggested that one may MURDER over a photo, breaking a law to counteract a perfectly legal act, I think the conclusion is rather obvious.
I hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly jumping to that conclusion. What's rather obvious is your determination to ignore the fact that not everyone sees the world through your particular lens.

Do you really think it's beyond the realm of possibility that someone would do you in if they didn't like you, your camera, and your attitude? Murder has been committed with far less provocation. I certainly wouldn't go around making myself a prime target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships