Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,754,062 times

Advertisements

In Maine it is almost impossible to tell who the wealthy people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:08 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,197,890 times
Quote:
If you became very wealthy, would you associate with the "little people?"
Elves? Not unless I were tripping.

A million or two isn't going to get you into high society, just upper middle class social circles. It's doubtful that even $100 million would get you there, and even then you'd really need family connections.

But that being said, I don't have any friends ..... if I had friends down here in the trenches, most of them would probably be average ordinary people that I wouldn't have much in common with - people who like sports, hunting, patriotic displays, and blockbuster movies with famous stars who become a superhero and fight with dastardly villains, monsters and aliens during car chases with lots of explosions.

I simply have a different set of interests that might fit better with the upper crust. But then again, maybe not, I don't really have any experience in the matter.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:14 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,275,906 times
Of course I would! I hate it when people become wealthy and ditch all their connections.

Money does not make you a better person.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:18 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,880,582 times
Everybody's so different, I haven't changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLiyGv3RHLE

Old 07-18-2015, 09:20 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,184,407 times
Always be nice to the people you meet on the way up because they are the same people you see on the way down. True to a large degree but see it from another view - you find out who your true friends really are!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:29 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,537,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I know a handful of people who have done well for themselves, and whether young or old, are worth at least a couple million. All of those people seemed to stop talking with their former friends when they got wealthy, and instead tried to ingratiate themselves with high society.

Do you know people who do this? Would you do it?
Couple mil doesn't really separate me from the people I am close to bc even since middle school and high school I hung out with the studious hard worker type. So most of them are now professionals.

My middle school friends are now
Lawyer
Lawyer
Doctor
Accountant
Model/actress
Cal Tech PhD engineer/author/prof

High school chums (close group)
Teacher
Finance
Law
Doctor
Doctor
Doctor
Professor at major uni
Professor at major uni
Computer programmer
Architect
Accountant
Plasma physicist

Take heed, parents...the people your kids hang with can and will be a big influence.

In any case, no reason a couple mil would separate us. Or even ten mil.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:51 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,612,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that the poor friends drive their newly wealthy buddy away with begging and expressing their belief that they are entitled to share.

This and also letting their jealousy show with awkward or even rude remarks.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 PM

7,337 posts, read 6,961,580 times
If I suddenly became wealthy ,I'd keep it secret, and slowly drift into the wood work.
And if there were some one I wanted to bless, I'd find a way to do it, that could not be traced to me.
That's how I've always done it.(much as possible)
Jesus actually taught me that.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:31 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,676,496 times
No, if I became "wealthy" I would not drop poorer friends---how ridiculous.

Indeed, when I have hung out with friends who are not as fortunate as I have been, I am happy to pick up the tab, or buy drinks for them, when I can afford it. If I'm hanging out with a truly wealthy person and they expect me to go halves with me on a big restaurant bill I would think they are nasty. If you're wealthy you should have a sense of largesse and generosity for the less-fortunate.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:51 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,487,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In Maine it is almost impossible to tell who the wealthy people are.
I found that the lakeside mansions and restored 1920s speedboats were dead give-aways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships