Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 03:55 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,062,908 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading a book that got under my skin and has me contemplating things I've not really done before. (The book is Sense of an Ending, by Julian Barnes). The thrust of the book is that we can't always trust our life memories and the 'lies' we tell ourselves about what we were like in the past. It's a pretty simple but intense book about what happens when someone from our past re-enters our life and has a vastly different set of memories of events and how we acted.

So...

While I've apologized to people for specific transgressions big and small, and some from long ago (I'm in my 40s), I felt a sudden urge to reach out to a handful of people from my deep past and...how to put it...apologize not for what I did but more generally for being an immature a-hole. For falling short of being a loving supportive person.

Granted, it's silly to look back 30 years to adolescence and think I should have been a perfectly adjusted, mature person. That's unfair to myself. I just have this urge to let a few people know that if they're still holding on to hurt feelings, that I'm sorry, and to let themselves off the hook.

But then again, it may also be narcissistic to think that these few people would be holding on to feelings that involved me from that long ago.

Has anyone dealt with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 03:59 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,457,078 times
Once when I was coming to from anesthesia!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:58 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,005,862 times
My thought is if you randomly cross paths with these people, you could bring it up. If you haven't been in contact with them in a long time, I wouldn't bother. For some, people try hard to forget bad things that have happened to them in the past and you calling them to apologize could just bring up all the bad memories that they worked hard to get over.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:05 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,062,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
My thought is if you randomly cross paths with these people, you could bring it up. If you haven't been in contact with them in a long time, I wouldn't bother. For some, people try hard to forget bad things that have happened to them in the past and you calling them to apologize could just bring up all the bad memories that they worked hard to get over.
That was sort of how the book ended, so yes, that's crossed my mind...best to leave it alone and let the Universe sort it out.

On the other hand, I can think of a couple people from whom such a 'apology' would be really well received but certainly not necessary.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:44 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,565,167 times
This sounds a lot like making amends while in recovery. I had to do it recently. Basically, what you do is write a short letter saying what you're sorry for, and if you come across the person you make a choice whether to read it to them. I've written one to a co-worker with no intention of reading it to her. It's about healing for YOU, not for them.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:41 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,658,788 times
I reconnected with some friends on Facebook that I regretted not paying more attention to earlier in life. I tried to make up for it by paying extra special attention to them online.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,763,373 times
There's a great book from the 'sixties, "Games People Play" by Erich Bern. One of the games is "Museum". Thats where a person clings to greivances for YEARS then brings them up after no one else can even remember what really happend. You're playing a reverse kind of Museum. Unless you REALLY owe someone an apology, let it go. Your desire to check off imaginary boxes is just self indulgence unless you REALLY owe them an apology.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:38 PM

296 posts, read 217,996 times
When my Dad died in 1988, an aunt, Mother's sister, was being a pain in the neck in more ways than one on the day of his funeral, and I finally lost it and wrote her a letter letting her know what I thought of her antics (there's a lot more to that story, but it isn't relevant here).

13 years later, it becomes clear that aunt's demise is near, having been diagnosed with ALS, Lou Gehrig's disease, and I apologized for "the letter" 13 years earlier, even though I knew that some of the things I said needed to be said.

Aunt was diagnosed in September, 2001, and passed in November, 2002.

I apologized at Christmas in 2001.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships