Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:54 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,277,333 times

Advertisements

My son had a bday party yesterday and I met a lot of parents. One of the mothers tracked me down to exchange phone numbers so we can have play dates. We are close in age. Here's the thing I never know if people are doing this just to be pleasant or if they actually want to stay in touch. I've had this happen with a mom I met on the playground and we exchanged numbers and I never heard from her, so two weeks later I contacted her and did a play date. Now we are good friends but I'm sure if I never contacted her we wouldn't talk again. what is the right etiquette with this? When people ask to exchange numbers do they really want to contact each other or is it just all talk? She was the only parent to track me down and exchange numbers but I still don't know if it would be awkward if I followed up. I'm always looking to make more friends but don't want to seem needy for actually following through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 12:01 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,798,928 times
What's the worst that could happen if you called and they were ambivalent about getting together? It doesn't make you seem needy to call someone who sought you out to give you their number. In fact, if someone tracked you down and said, "Here's my contact info. Get in touch," I think I'd probably take it to mean that they'd like me to use their contact info to get in touch with them.

You might be overthinking this. Go for it. That's how you get to know people, right?

Old 09-20-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
What's the worst that could happen if you called and they were ambivalent about getting together? It doesn't make you seem needy to call someone who sought you out to give you their number. In fact, if someone tracked you down and said, "Here's my contact info. Get in touch," I think I'd probably take it to mean that they'd like me to use their contact info to get in touch with them.

You might be overthinking this. Go for it. That's how you get to know people, right?
True! Thank you!

Old 09-20-2015, 01:37 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,812,574 times
The only way to find out is to ask. I would contact her causally about a week later and suggest something simple like the park. If she has many excuses for not committing or cancels/reschedules, I would probably leave it at that, but if you suggest something and she seems excited and wants to hang out then her interest is probably genuine.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:16 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,157,196 times
It sounds like you really have nothing to lose, At best you make a new friend, Adults are often shy about making new friends I think. It's like asking someone out, People don't want to be disappointed. If she flakes just move on.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:21 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,516,627 times
Follow through

She contacted you

Old 09-20-2015, 03:03 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,253,207 times
She's probably feeling just as isolated and lonely as you are OP.

Call her. She might turn out to be your BFF for ever.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,215,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
My son had a bday party yesterday and I met a lot of parents. One of the mothers tracked me down to exchange phone numbers so we can have play dates. We are close in age. Here's the thing I never know if people are doing this just to be pleasant or if they actually want to stay in touch. I've had this happen with a mom I met on the playground and we exchanged numbers and I never heard from her, so two weeks later I contacted her and did a play date. Now we are good friends but I'm sure if I never contacted her we wouldn't talk again. what is the right etiquette with this? When people ask to exchange numbers do they really want to contact each other or is it just all talk? She was the only parent to track me down and exchange numbers but I still don't know if it would be awkward if I followed up. I'm always looking to make more friends but don't want to seem needy for actually following through.
It sounds like she really wants to set something up. Don't assume that your kid's friend's moms will become your friends, though. Sometimes it just doesn't happen. I don't see any reason not to call, though.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:19 PM

I texted her today with small talk and she was very open and seems genuinely interested in a friendship and in the boys playing together. I never know how to act in these situations but so far it seems like the best thing is being proactive w/people and not being afraid to invite them
to hang out!

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's lonely and isolating being a mom at times lol!

Old 09-20-2015, 05:33 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
If I'm just being polite and don't genuinely want to get together, I would never give you my number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships