Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:52 AM

121 posts, read 121,451 times

Advertisements

Hey all--

I am curious what everyone's take on this is.

My wife and I were asked to go out to dinner with friends. We said we didn't care where we went. Our friends requested we go to a certain restaurant because they had a $50 off $100 coupon from Restaurant.com. They said we would make sure the bill is $100, and they would give us the coupon and $10 towards tip.

Am I wrong in feeling this is a little tacky? They arguably "need" us to get the bill to $100 since the restaurant is not that expensive, and although we would have spent $50 for my wife's dinner and my dinner, it feels funny to me to then pay our bill in cash while they use a voucher on which we helped them meet the minimum.

Curious to know your thoughts- maybe I'm just being grumpy today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:55 AM

599 posts, read 693,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valethor View Post
Hey all--

I am curious what everyone's take on this is.

My wife and I were asked to go out to dinner with friends. We said we didn't care where we went. Our friends requested we go to a certain restaurant because they had a $50 off $100 coupon from Restaurant.com. They said we would make sure the bill is $100, and they would give us the coupon and $10 towards tip.

Am I wrong in feeling this is a little tacky? They arguably "need" us to get the bill to $100 since the restaurant is not that expensive, and although we would have spent $50 for my wife's dinner and my dinner, it feels funny to me to then pay our bill in cash while they use a voucher on which we helped them meet the minimum.

Curious to know your thoughts- maybe I'm just being grumpy today
it does sound tacky and super cheap, i think i would decline the offer.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:06 PM

48,559 posts, read 34,927,283 times
As long as I would eat there anyway I'd be fine with it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-12-2015, 12:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,899,909 times
Seems pretty tacky unless it's a close friend and you would want to eat there anyways.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:59 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Do I understand? They want you to spend $50 on dinner so they can get their own $50 dinner for free?

If you wouldn't normally spend $50 at that rstaurant, I would tell the friend that I couldn't do an order that big and to suggest that they look to see if they can find a different coupon to use.

I don't have any problem with using restaurant coupons, but not to buy what I can't use and especially not so someone else gets the savings.

If a friend said they had a coupon that was 10% off of the whole bill if 4 meals were ordered, that would be good, as far as I am concerned. Or $5 off a large pizza we would all share.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:15 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,773,568 times
I totally agree with Oregonwoodsmoke. What your friends did was tacky. No problem using the coupon, but the savings should have been split between both couples. One couple paying full price while the other gets a free meal is just cheap.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:17 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,047,428 times
tacky, using you for a free meal. I would decline the invite.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,978,298 times
Your friend should share the $50 off and take $25 off the bill for each couple. That is what I would do.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:33 PM

828 posts, read 909,546 times
My understanding was the friend was suggesting they split the coupon, so that they both benefit from it. I'm not sure why everyone assumed the opposite. I could be mistaken, though.

If I do have it correctly, I don't think it's tacky at all! Maybe if it was a first date or something, ok, pretty tacky. Also, even if you weren't going to eat $100 worth of food right then and there, you could certainly pack it up and have lunch for work tomorrow. $25 per person (4 people, right?) is fine and not extreme at all, even at, say a diner or an Applebee's type of place.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,978,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
My understanding was the friend was suggesting they split the coupon, so that they both benefit from it. I'm not sure why everyone assumed the opposite. I could be mistaken, though.

If I do have it correctly, I don't think it's tacky at all! Maybe if it was a first date or something, ok, pretty tacky. Also, even if you weren't going to eat $100 worth of food right then and there, you could certainly pack it up and have lunch for work tomorrow. $25 per person (4 people, right?) is fine and not extreme at all, even at, say a diner or an Applebee's type of place.
Because the OP said the friends would give them the coupon plus $10.00 towards the tip. No mention was made of sharing the coupon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships