Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:40 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times

Advertisements

I'm both believe it or not

And I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 02:44 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,114 times
Of course. Any introvert in the United States that doesn't is fooling himself. Everything is better for extroverts. Everything. They go further in their careers, and get better careers too. Less actual work and substance is expected of them (often none at all). They get more women. They get more respect and approbation generally. They're not driven insane by the banality of the hoi poli (because they are the banality of the hoi poli, typically). It goes on.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
I am an introvert but I put on the extrovert game face for work and job interviews. I don't see the need to do more than that to be quite honest.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:32 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Everything is better for extroverts. Everything.
I don't think so.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:48 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
You don't seem to know what an extrovert is. It has nothing to do with bragging or coolness or celebrity lifestyle. You can be an impoverished disabled person living on welfare and still be an extrovert.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:56 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,560 times
Sometimes.

One of my girlfriends is the type that openly welcomes unannounced company, throws parties, and is always surrounded with people. My ex was also the same way, and it drove me nuts. I was also a little jelly that it seemed so easy for them to be welcoming to others.

However, most of the time, other people are draining to me. I go to her house 1 or 2x a year to one of those parties. I usually end up in the bedroom with all the kids playing games or watching movies with them LOL. I'm ready to leave after a few hours. She knows this about me and doesn't judge. Sometimes i'll get a game going with the kiddos or we'll watch Spongebob while the adults party in the other rooms haha

Old 09-18-2015, 06:36 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
That "psychologically recharge" thing is an interesting question.

I think this may be why people who label themselves "introvert" feel Social Anxiety in the first place.

They don't feel it because theyd much rather be on a desert island, they feel it because they crave the interaction but cant quite get a handle on it for one reason or another, and wonder why it bothers them so much. It bothers them because we're primates, designed to live with other people..
I don't know. I think that some of the more socially anxious people have extroverted tendencies. They want to be social, they want to have lots of friends, they want to be out in the crowd, but at the same time those things scare them to death. A true introvert has friends and a social life, but if the phone didn't ring all weekend that would be fine, too.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I am extroverted. Probably 65/35%. I also am 50/50 on whether or not I feel energized by new people, or just want to be around familiar people. Some times I just am not in the mood to deal with new people, but do want to connect. I just want low effort connecting with people. There are other times when all I want to do is read.

My sister is also introverted. Many people mistakenly think she is an extrovert. She is not shy, and she engages easily with other people. But when she hits "capacity" she needs her people-free recharge time. And that may take several days.

Introverted =/= to shy. I also have an extroverted friend who is very shy. She loves people. As long as she knows them. She retreats from strangers.

So back to the OP, what about being extroverted do you "admire" and wish you had?

My sister and I are on opposite spectrums, yet we still manage to do "cool stuff" in our own way.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:26 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Many times I wish I were more extroverted, especially when I was younger and had little control of how my life went in school. Now I have more control with a very successful career and family I'm able to pick my social life moments. My wife is extroverted but realizes that I need my down time to recoup after social situations but I also try to accommodate her need for frequent social interactions.

Because I'm not extroverted, I'm not sure what it feels like but it seems to me like it's a significant advantage but I know many extroverts that have significant problems in their lives so maybe it's not all peaches and cream.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:35 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
A social faux pas is a lot harder on an extrovert than it is on an introvert. An introvert can say, "Heck with it, I'll read a book."

If your kid is an introvert, "time out" doesn't work well as a disciplinary tactic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships