Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 01:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Get different friends. These friends prefer to text and don't want to talk just becaise it's convenient for you.

You want them as friends because you think they are cool but it doesn't sound like they think you are cool. Are you like them in any way? Can you picture them whining on a forum that no one ever initiates a text or call with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 02:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
I never hear from them if I don't initiate .
Then they are not real friends. You think they are cool, but they don't feel the same about you when you have to be the one to initiate contacts, and can only do it by text. You are apparently very young, and have not learned how to tell the difference between real friends, and those that you pursue and do not feel the same about you.

They call those, "Wanna Be Friends'. People you want to bed friends with and only tolerate you when you text them.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:30 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I hate having conversations , especially long or serious ones , via text. It is so easy for something to get misconstrued. It seems that only one or two of my friends will talk on the phone . The other ones expect me to initiate text message conversations . They never ask me to spend time with them but expect me to text them and ask to hangout and most of the time they act busy. Sometimes I don't feel these people are friends. I feel they just talk to me when it's convenient but at the same time I don't wanna stop texting them because I never know if they are too busy or if they just don't want to be bothered. I hate feeling obligated to keep in touch via text just because it is convenient for the other person. I really don't like to play the games and jump thru the hoops you have to go thru just to maintain a friendship. I hate texting to a certain degree. I just do it because it seems necessary to maintain a friendship especially if the person lives far away. I try to make the friendship easy for the other person. Doing all the work gets old, though. I wish I had friends that asked me to do stuff or check in with me regularly without me always having to chase them.
I have had "friends" like that. Stop communicating with them and delete their numbers. I highly doubt they'll ever bother contacting you about anything. They might not even notice, and if they do, they won't care.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:19 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really? They can't be bothered to talk you on the phone and hang out with you. You're nothing more than a time killer for them when they're bored.

I hope 82 doesn't mean you were born in 82, that would make you 33, by that age you should have figured this out.

Stop texting them and see if they inquire as to what happened to you.

Find people who have time for you.
Exactly. You shouldn't have to chase your friends. I figured this out about my father. After years of feeling sad and rejected, I finally realized he didn't really want anything to do with me, and just sent me an email or called when he felt a twinge of guilt for being such a lousy uninvolved father. The last time I heard from him, about a week ago, he emailed me asking him to contact me right away and telling me that he hadn't forgotten about me; that I was still his firstborn daughter blah, blah, blah. This email came after he didn't contact me at all on my birthday way back in January, we hadn't visited for 11 months, and after he had been in and out of my life, mostly out, during my 38 years on this planet.

I decided enough was enough and I wasn't going to chase this guy anymore just because he was dear old Dad. I didn't, and won't, respond. I've never felt better about a decision involving my dad, because I took control and stopped catering to his whims. Don't be a victim. Spend time with someone who wants to be around you. And if that means you have to be alone for a while, that's a better alternative than having fake friends, and a great opportunity for growth and learning for you.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:33 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
You can't push a friendship. You want to be friends with them but obviously they arent too particular about being friends with you. A good friendship isnt that hard. You dont worry about who initiates what. You are just there for each other. Whenever. Wherever.

You have no friendship there, its just aquaintences.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I really don't like to play the games and jump thru the hoops you have to go thru just to maintain a friendship.
This seems to me to be a revealing statement. All friendships require maintenance.

You can't phone people who don't want to answer the phone, which is almost everybody now. So, I think it is best to go with the flow on this.

And, I like texting because is you are careful, you can convey a lot with your text. And facial expression does not enter into it. What you call a weakness, I am tempted to call a strength.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This seems to me to be a revealing statement. All friendships require maintenance.

You can't phone people who don't want to answer the phone, which is almost everybody now. So, I think it is best to go with the flow on this.

And, I like texting because is you are careful, you can convey a lot with your text. And facial expression does not enter into it. What you call a weakness, I am tempted to call a strength.

All friendships require back and forth.

The OP is not getting that here.

And speak for yourself, some of us still talk on the phone.

Texting is best if they're short. "I'm running 30 minutes late", not trying to have a conversation.

The inflection in the voice is VERY IMPORTANT. You can tell if someone is hesitant to do something, you don't get that with a text.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:13 PM

54 posts, read 67,330 times
If you are my friend, please stay in touch by phone.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:08 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Going with the flow is a strategy for the moment when circumstances can change quickly. However, the bigger picture here is to have friends who initiate contact with you. To think "people don't have to answer the phone when I call" is not going with the flow, it is an expectation, a rule. This doesn't have to be.

However, if a friend, who I know has answered the phone in the past, suddenly doesn't answer the phone right now at this moment and then calls later, me being cool with that is going with the flow.

Last edited by elyn02; 09-20-2015 at 06:15 AM..

Old 09-20-2015, 06:49 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
I agree Friends stay in touch.. Maybe the OP is just tooooooo needy..
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really? They can't be bothered to talk you on the phone and hang out with you. You're nothing more than a time killer for them when they're bored.

I hope 82 doesn't mean you were born in 82, that would make you 33, by that age you should have figured this out.

Stop texting them and see if they inquire as to what happened to you.

Find people who have time for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships