Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2016, 02:14 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times

Advertisements

I don't feel like its productive to give money to people begging for it, so I don't. I do have a lot of compassion for addicts and those with other mental health problems. I have been an addict myself and I've worked very hard to overcome my issues. It makes me sad to see people who look like they have no hope. I have to remind myself that those are not my burdens to bear. If we all focused on taking care of ourselves and our own I think we would all be much better off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 02:47 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
A panhandler in Philly was making some really good money. Found out he would go home at night to his very nice house and second non junky car. Tax free $$ baby!

Yeah, I'm jaded.

I also saw homeless people sleeping in parks. Those are the ones that really do need help. Most can't be helped because of mental issues. Even if you try to get them into shelters, they won't stay.
I don't like to help people either because I am also VERY jaded! I know too many people who bragged about "working the system", including family members who bragged about their tax free "status". I don't trust people anymore! Ironically, I am in the Philly burbs!

Old 11-03-2016, 02:54 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I don't feel like its productive to give money to people begging for it, so I don't. I do have a lot of compassion for addicts and those with other mental health problems. I have been an addict myself and I've worked very hard to overcome my issues. It makes me sad to see people who look like they have no hope. I have to remind myself that those are not my burdens to bear. If we all focused on taking care of ourselves and our own I think we would all be much better off.
Oh I do want to add that if I saw someone doing something like playing music on the street for money, I might give them something. That's not really the same as begging, though. That would be more of an exchange (entertainment value for $).

Old 11-03-2016, 04:19 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
No. I do, however, give cash donations several times a year to my local food bank, a mission church in my city that takes care of street people, the national organization Feeding America, and the international organization Doctors Without Borders. If a panhandler on the street asks me directly for money, I say, "I'm sorry, but I don't carry cash."

I also vote for candidates who demonstrate that they believe in the Golden Rule and see the government as having some responsibility for citizens who have fallen below the poverty line. I believe that there are many cases where people have personal problems that make it all but impossible for them to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps," even if they want to.

My brother does a nice thing. He carries a case of water bottles in his car and when someone at an intersection asks him for money he politely refuses, but offers them water.
My husband and I did this every summer when we lived in California. I would have a couple of cases of Arrowhead in my trunk and put several bottles on the curb in the downtown and Skid Row area (I stayed close to my car and never approached anyone directly). Nobody ever bothered me and many shouted their thanks when I pulled away.

My husband did the same but he passed out fruit.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:19 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
No

Old 11-04-2016, 10:53 AM

118 posts, read 95,583 times
Ever since I saw the video of the amputee guy on a roller cart have his pants pulled down to expose his legs being there and tied up to appear to be gone, I just give to organizations.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:10 PM

583 posts, read 713,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I do if I have a couple of extra dollars with me. People have helped me so I will help out others if it is convenient. If I can't I can't that is just how it works out. I don't worry if they may use the money for drugs etc. That is on them not me. I helped a person and if they truly need some food they will eventually use it in a caring manner and they may someday remember to pay it forward if they don't use it today.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:16 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Last month I actually got approached by a guy from behind when I was in the drive-thru at the bank.

I just KNEW that was bound to happen; there is a grassy area with a bus stop bench right behind the drive-thru lanes & I get "eyed" by people lounging around back there all the time.

I handed him like a $1 in change before my pneumatic tube thingy got sent back to me. I was making a $300 cash withdrawl & was afraid my tube would be intercepted!

I was surprised that the cashier did not seem to "notice" that somebody was approaching patrons; I didn't want to say anything over the speaker because you have to yell to be heard & it was all just very awkward.

I'm a woman & I was alone with my disabled 12 year old child; I didn't know what else to do!

Old 11-04-2016, 07:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I'm going to assume this is true. If it is, this is close to what police officers now have to deal with. They are often the first line of defence with the mentally ill, including drug addicts. They may have communicable diseases (HIV, hepatitis etc.) and fight, bite etc. the cops. IMO that is one of the reason it is now a very hard and stressful job for them. Besides all the million unenforceable laws the legislators toss their way.

Having said that, I'll get back on topic. I USED not to give money to the homeless. Mostly because they were insane or addicts, and would just hang around my neighbourhood if they got money. I used to live in a city. That was dangerous for me. Almost all of our local vagrants were mentally insane. But now I know a little bit more about the resources available (or better yet NOT available) for childless poor people. I've also seen an increase in not-obviously-crazy panhandlers.

If you don't have kids and can't get or keep a job for whatever reason, welfare apparently pays a pittance. There is also not a lot of housing available, and priority seemingly goes to people with kids. They almost have to beg to get extra cash. As far as them spending the money on drugs and alcohol, in my old age I realize who the hell am I to deny some toothless person a drink? They obviously need one.

Here is an example: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/comp...px?Language=EN
(Welfare is called cash assistance, there is some other stuff you may be eligible for, but if you are hard up, you generally get cash assistance and food stamps)

So if you are poor, don't have family or a girl/guy friend to live with, don't have friends to mooch off of... You get a couple hundred dollars a week plus food stamps. Where I live, you can't buy anything with that, much less pay for a place to live, even with room-mates. Can they ALL be insane drug addicts? At least one or two of them must be legitimately people who don't have resources.

So keeping my distance...some of them ARE crazy...I DO give homeless people money now. Especially single ones. If they are obviously disabled or have kids, I KNOW there are a ton of resources for them. But for the childless, especially older people, I know they may be screwed: can't get money, housing or a job.

And if they are an ugly, single, uneducated, older man or woman with a criminal record...they are screwed EVEN IF they are able bodied. We KNOW they can't get a job, but they can't get any benefits, either. If they want to use my dollar to buy some vodka, then so be it. The only issue I have is with giving money in a residential area. I'd rather not encourage possibly crazy or drug addicted vagrants to hang around a residential neighborhood. But on a median/highway etc. Heck yeah I'll give.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:31 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
I will not give money, but I will give them food. I have done this on numerous occasions, but usually it's been with those I know are homeless and not asking for anything.

Went to Vegas one time and had been given dinner for two right before we were suppose to fly out. We went to the hotel restaurant, ordered all the food we could and had them box it all up, 4 boxes in all. Having been to Vegas numerous times, we knew where many homeless were. Drove up and asked a gentleman if he wanted some food, he was thrilled and delighted. He then asked "Can I share it with a friend?" We gave him all the food. We drove down the Strip for a while, turned around to head back to the hotel passing by where we had stopped and the two men were sitting on the bus bench eating.

No one should ever go hungry, and if I have something to give, I will. My sister takes my nieces (teenagers) every month to feed the homeless in Miami. But, I refuse to give money unless I know it's going to a valid charity/food bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships