Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 12:27 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,324,270 times

Advertisements

Do you think people should keep in mind sexes when giving social advice more?

I feel like men and women tend to have different social problems when they do have social problems. Women, for example, seem to get a sort of free pass on shyness. Shy men are more likely to be perceived as creepy. Shy women are more likely to be perceived as charming and cute. On the other hand, women, even unattractive women, tend to be more likely to have to deal with unwanted attention from the opposite sex.

So, men are more likely to want to know how to be charismatic, whereas women are more likely to want to know how to be tactful and shrewd.

Do you think our society needs to keep that in mind more? Do you that tends to be accurate, or is the above bunk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 12:36 PM

151 posts, read 158,556 times
Sometimes a different perspective is what you need.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 PM

32,477 posts, read 47,405,393 times
Different situations call for different advice but it is usually the different situation and not the gender of the person receiving the advice. A woman being creepy in the same way that a man was being creepy would get the same advice.

I don't think shy men are creepy. Men are not creepy unless they are acting creepy. Shy doesn't have anything to do with it.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:36 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,404,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Do you think people should keep in mind sexes when giving social advice more?

I feel like men and women tend to have different social problems when they do have social problems. Women, for example, seem to get a sort of free pass on shyness. Shy men are more likely to be perceived as creepy. Shy women are more likely to be perceived as charming and cute. On the other hand, women, even unattractive women, tend to be more likely to have to deal with unwanted attention from the opposite sex.

So, men are more likely to want to know how to be charismatic, whereas women are more likely to want to know how to be tactful and shrewd.

Do you think our society needs to keep that in mind more? Do you that tends to be accurate, or is the above bunk?
There's that word again. No, shyness and creepiness are not synonymous, male or female. I've met shy men and creepy men, and I've never confused the two. Creepiness has everything to do with body language, leering, ignoring boundaries, ignoring social norms, and treating people like objects.

And shy women are not generally perceived as charming or cute. Depending on their level of shyness, they are often perceived as unintelligent, snobs (because they don't talk to anyone), or just weird.

If you want advice based on how to act around the opposite gender, the opposite gender is the best place to get that advice.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:40 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,795,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
There's that word again. No, shyness and creepiness are not synonymous, male or female. I've met shy men and creepy men, and I've never confused the two. Creepiness has everything to do with body language, leering, ignoring boundaries, ignoring social norms, and treating people like objects.

And shy women are not generally perceived as charming or cute. Depending on their level of shyness, they are often perceived as unintelligent, snobs (because they don't talk to anyone), or just weird.

If you want advice based on how to act around the opposite gender, the opposite gender is the best place to get that advice.

I agree. I was told people think I am a snob because I'm quiet. It sucks.

I have also met some creepy dudes and they were anything but shy. In fact it's the pushy conversation and personal space invading that comes off as creepy. Even a guy quietly staring at you from afar would be less offensive (though still weird ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships