Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 04:11 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,968,038 times

Advertisements

I've come to the point where I will not shoulder a relationship with anyone anymore who can't invest emotionally, physically, etc. what I invest in the relationship then I'm dropping you out my life and moving on. Why do people think it's okay to take, take, and take but not give anything or barely anything in return? I know it means they're just selfish but why would you think that a person is going to continue to come to your rescue when you don't do the same for them? Taking advantage of people will always make things harder for yourself in the end and they wonder why they have the problems that they do.

How about treating people with the same respect they give you and maybe just maybe your life will stop being so crappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 04:31 PM

15,535 posts, read 15,559,746 times
You sound kind of hostile. Maybe there's something else going on. For instance, maybe you're just being a doormat, which no one respects. Or maybe you're overburdening people. Or maybe they're giving, but you just don't want what they have to give.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:54 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,968,038 times
Or maybe the have nothing to give at all. In which case it is best for me to move on and not expect someone to give who is incapable of giving.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:44 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,781,888 times
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

In fact, this might be a good time for the OP to read the source of that advice, and take it to heart:

Desiderata (Text-only version)

Old 09-23-2015, 07:19 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,110,651 times
I am weeding out people who never give---who just take and drain me. But as long as people give something, I try not to demand 50-50. I'm thrilled when anyone gives anything at this point.

This article helped me, talking about how to be spiritual/loving/kind without being a doormat:

Does Being Spiritual Make You a Doormat?*|*Natasha Dern

Old 09-23-2015, 07:26 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,361,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Or maybe the have nothing to give at all. In which case it is best for me to move on and not expect someone to give who is incapable of giving.
OKK..I give up. What is this "Giving" parameter? Money..Time..Sex or offering a way out of your actual situation?? Point I'm making and asking is What exactly are your expectations in any relationship ( Male or female)???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

In fact, this might be a good time for the OP to read the source of that advice, and take it to heart:

Desiderata (Text-only version)
Good Food for thought!!

Side note:..I never ever recall looking at any relationship as are they cable or can they Give me..whatever the OP is referring to????

Old 09-23-2015, 07:53 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,045,051 times
I have noticed friendships that seem equal in the beginning but after a while I seem to be the one making the effort. For instance, it's me who initiates contact all the time.

I don't know if the other person just gets lazy or they were just putting on a friendly facade at the beginning of the friendship.

Anyway, I find it annoying when I'm making all the effort and eventually I end up feeling used and drop them to be honest.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:58 PM

1,273 posts, read 989,297 times
I have always given my entire self to my relationships, it gets me hurt more often than not, but it's who I am and I'm not going to grow cold and cynical just to protect myself from having relationships.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:02 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,045,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
I have always given my entire self to my relationships, it gets me hurt more often than not, but it's who I am and I'm not going to grow cold and cynical just to protect myself from having relationships.
How do you feel when other people use you or take advantage of your kind nature though?

Old 09-23-2015, 08:10 PM

1,273 posts, read 989,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
How do you feel when other people use you or take advantage of your kind nature though?
Like sh#t
I cry a lot. But I keep reaching out. I have a really great friend I refused to give up on. We have each other's back for life. If I had dropped her when she was not being as giving we wouldn't be where we are 11 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships