Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:56 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Long story short, I have a few friends who are not my race, two of them I have been friends with since we were teenagers, and the other I have been friends with for almost 9 years.

They will sometimes casually say that they hate people of my race, or if I talk about someone who is of my race and they did something wrong or bad, they will say that's the reason why they hate people of my race...

It doesn't happen all the time, and a few times I have said something about it, but I can tell that it doesn't affect them. They seem to have these deeply held beliefs. I am not sure why they are friends with me and other people of my race, but then they will say that they hate us.

Advice?
Lose them. Fast.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
When I was in school days I had friends use expressions like, "Oh, but you are one of the good ones."

I even had a friend's mother once tell me that something like 95% of my race is evil, but I am lucky that my parents raised me to be good.

I didn't leave any friendships, though. I thought these were just people who had so little experience with anyone who was not like them that they were susceptible to stereotypes.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:31 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What planet are you on if you think people are only prejudiced against black and latinos? I'd give thesame advice to anyone. I can only use my lens as a black person, but my friends of other groups have experiejnced similar stuff. It is one of the things we talk about, casual racism against all sorts of people.
I don't think that. I think that people find it acceptable and not racist when it is some groups, and shockingly racist when it's another group.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:11 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I don't think that. I think that people find it acceptable and not racist when it is some groups, and shockingly racist when it's another group.
yes, right now the target is white people, and everybody is allowed to make nasty racist comments about and to white people with absoultey no repercussions or guilt. the logic is that ALL white people deserve it because SOME white people were/are racist in the past and present.

The problem with this is that it perpetuates racism. It causes hostility between groups, and divides people. When will it end?

Old 09-27-2015, 07:21 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
The real question is why are you still friends with them. I do not think people who are your real friend would be talking like this....A real friend would not make you feel badly about your own race...Find new friends. It is there problem.....

Old 09-27-2015, 07:34 PM

204 posts, read 145,473 times
Quote:
Long story short, I have a few friends who are not my race, two of them I have been friends with since we were teenagers, and the other I have been friends with for almost 9 years.

They will sometimes casually say that they hate people of my race, or if I talk about someone who is of my race and they did something wrong or bad, they will say that's the reason why they hate people of my race...

It doesn't happen all the time, and a few times I have said something about it, but I can tell that it doesn't affect them. They seem to have these deeply held beliefs. I am not sure why they are friends with me and other people of my race, but then they will say that they hate us.

Advice?
Ask them, "Do you realize I am standing here? Why are you friends with me?"

It could open up some useful dialogue and teach them something. If not, then walk away.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvianfisher View Post
Ask them, "Do you realize I am standing here? Why are you friends with me?"

It could open up some useful dialogue and teach them something. If not, then walk away.
OP you have no obligation to be a martyr for race relations. It is not your problem, it is your friends' and you do not need to be responsible for their enlightenment.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:23 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:

How in the world do you call these people friends? Dump the assclowns.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Over the Presidential election of 2012, a few people on facebook made some bigoted posts, particularly racial slights towards the President. I promptly unfriended said persons. The way I see it, if someone is going to be that disrespectful, then what good are they to me? That is one question to ask.
I unfriended a lot of people over the last Presidential elections and since. I am white but will not tolerate hate, racism, bigotry, etc., in my life. My true friends know my ideals and that I do my best to love everyone regardless of race or sexual preference.

My daughter brought a friend to eat out with us one night. We got to talking about our favorite bar we used to go to to play trivia, and it recently closed. This girl was sitting across from me and she said, "It's because of all the coons."

I looked at her, and then looked at everyone else who was a shocked as I was. I said, "You'd think a pest control company could rid them of a few raccoons, that's what you meant, right?" And she looked at me and said, "No, the ******s, the coons."

I threw a couple twenties on the table to cover mine & my husband's meals, and we got up. I looked at my daughter and said, "You call this white trash your friend? You pay for her dinner."

Old 09-28-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But sorry white people, just because you like Jay-Z, Beyoncé and Kanye doesn't mean you can go around yelling n's in Paris. And please stop pretending you don't know that one generation ago your family was complaining about the n-words moving into the neighborhood.
Do us white people a favor and stop lumping all of us into your racist categories. My parents did not say the N word and I never saw racism or bigotry until I moved to the hellish state of Georgia. If I were like you, I guess I would say that's how all the black people are around here.

Well I'm not like that. If you are getting racism from whites, it's because you are breeding it with your own attitude towards whites.

Last edited by convextech; 09-28-2015 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships