Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 09:35 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Do you have an opportunity to get a roommate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 09:52 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
I prefer to live alone vs a roommate (an SO is a completely different issue). I work from home as much as I can and if it's too quiet, I just turn some music on.

Reading and watching TV are great non-roommate activities. Your house will always be clean. Food is never missing.

But I get that some people don't like it. I knew someone that went off the wall bonkers when his roommates were all out and he'd end up in a bar just to talk to people.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:58 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
My mum is away home now (with crying so it made me worse) and so i'm here myself. I don't know what to do, i'm not used to living by myself. I can cope with doing the cooking and looking after myself, what I don't like is the silence when I come home and it makes me sad/lonely.

I don't like being alone in the afternoon or when I come home but I can get through it, it's just hard. Does anyone have any tips on how to get through living alone and adjust to living alone? So far I've decided to Skype my parents a night which helps but I would need to see if I can find other things.
Get a roommate.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:14 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Get a roommate.
May not be a great idea. These arrangements often go South as they are intended to be business arrangements and peoples lives, habits, and quirks may clash. There are cases where roommates become friends and remain so after one moves, But it's far and few between. If the OP seeks this and the person is not receptive there will be conflict. I do feel however a person should learn to live on their own for a period of time anyway. A person learns a lot about themselves this way.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:25 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Get your self a small dog that stays small .
they are good pets and lap dogs that thrive on affection and give it as well.
They can be taken for walks ,unlike cats and are generally more friendly toward others as well, IF you train them that way .
Another thing you can do is volunteer at a shelter or some where help is appreciated ,and meet people and learn their cultures.
If you wallow in self pity, it doesn't get any better.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:35 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
You'll get used to it, really. Have the TV on or radio if you don't like the silence. Now you can walk around nekkid whenever you want, too
I actually coped really well today, I am surprised. It was lovely today, 19c and sunny so I went and walked round the entire campus.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:37 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Do you have an opportunity to get a roommate?
Yes, I came on the open day to see what the rooms were like and they were tiny, each person had a small cubby hole to store their food for the week, I personally eat like a horse so I know that I couldn't cope with that. I also wanted to have my own bathroom (not shared) with a proper shower so that is another reason why I got a studio flat.

The choice was large room with good amenities or have flatmates.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:02 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
I don't always like being at home alone either, but it does have its benefits, don't uave that problem, now, but I used to just hardly ever be at home, unless I had to, we kinda still do that. I never liked just being at home, anyway, I like to be out and about. Most of the time I treat home as a recharge/exchange station.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:06 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
The ability to be alone and to enjoy one's own company and thoughts are measures of a healthy, mature person.

Use this experience as an opportunity to grow up. To be able to entertain yourself is a gift you will appreciate as you move through your post-education life.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:36 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
OP, give yourself a solid two months to get used to living alone. It really does get easier with time, and you got some good advice on this thread about audio books and such.

Lots and lots of people have to live alone at various points in their lives, even if they are from a huge family or were married with a big family. Things change. You really are learning some great coping skills right now, even if it feels really hard some days.

The main thing is learning to distract yourself when you feel lonely. Learn to put on uplifting music or take a walk when the blues hit. Before long, you'll find that it's less and less of a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships