Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,709,496 times

Advertisements

Why would you call the police if you heard screaming? Is it illegal to scream in your own house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:07 PM

287 posts, read 324,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Why would you call the police if you heard screaming? Is it illegal to scream in your own house?
If I heard screaming coming from a house and I heard abusive words and threats being tossed around, yes I would call the police.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:46 PM

620 posts, read 634,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Depends what kind of screaming we're talking about. If it's just argumentative screaming back and forth, no I wouldn't call the police. But if it sounds like screaming resulting from violence (fear, pain), I'm calling the cops.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:56 PM

20,676 posts, read 19,798,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post
I am moving in a couple weeks- as soon as escrow closes. The people I am purchasing the house from were having a garage sale this weekend so I decided to stop by and talk to them about the neighborhood and see if there was anything they wanted to leave behind that they were getting rid of (they actually told me I could have the riding lawn mower, Yippee!). We got to talking about the neighborhood- specifically the family that lives across the street. When I arrived there were two kids playing in that front lawn- looked to be a girl in her early teens and a boy of around ten. Other kids were playing in the yard a couple doors down and those kids were pretty much ignoring the kids across the street.

I waved at the kids across the street, they did not wave back. They just stood there staring at me for a couple minutes then went back to tossing the football around. At that point the guy I'm buying the house from said "That family is pretty weird. The husband really creeps us out." So, I asked... Here's what I was told. The kids are not allowed to leave the lawn and are not allowed to play with other children on the street. Every morning the father drives his kids a block down the street to the bus stop and makes them wait in the car until the bus arrives. The wife picks them up from the bus stop each afternoon (he calls them "the ditch kids" because they are always playing in the drainage ditch in front of the house).

He said that the wife is very talkative and very friendly- but only when the husband is not at home. If he is home and and she is in the yard and you try talk to her, she will walk away and ignore you. In fact, he said, that when the husband is home the wife rarely leaves the house. My first thought was- and I asked him- "Are they Jehovah's Witnesses or some weird religion?" Nope, he said, they are Catholic and go to the same church as him and his wife but they only go to church on Holy days. He said they rarely leave the house- he could not recall them ever being gone for more than an afternoon.

So, I asked him about the husband. "Friendly enough- last year I had a tree fall down in a storm and he came over and helped me cut it up without even asking if I needed help. But he just gives me the creeps. He laughs at the most inappropriate things and always is smiling, and always has advice about everything. He once told me I was mowing my yard wrong and proceeded to give me a lecture on how to do it right." He had no idea what the husband did for a living. The wife was definitely a stay-at-home mom.

What he said next, however, is what really got me wondering. "Every so often I hear a lot of screaming coming from their house- always him yelling and one or both of the kids yelling too." My first thought was abusive husband and father and he said, "Yeah, that's what me and my wife think too." I asked if the cops had ever been there and he said "One time I almost called the cops but the wife told me to keep my nose out of it."

So that's what I'm going to be dealing with- advice on dealing with this guy?
You haven't even moved in yet.
Why don't you do that first before you worry what happens in your neighbors house?

Old 09-29-2015, 01:15 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,527,040 times
I'll move next to them no problem:

kids that play and stay within their allotted perimeter
family that comes and goes and lives their own life (minds their business)

what a concept!!

sounds way better than the friday fiesta-partying having many cars littering the street all weekend bbq'ing in the driveway with long tables and dancing like the garage is a disco and car repairs in the street neighbors I have now...............wanna switch??

Old 09-29-2015, 01:47 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,911,597 times
Advice would be to live there awhile and see how it goes before asking for advice.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:16 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,812,819 times
I wouldn't over think it. I think it's a mistake to talk much with your previous home owners. Move in and develop your own feelings about the neighborhood. You don't need all their baggage

Old 09-29-2015, 02:31 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,258,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I'll move next to them no problem:

kids that play and stay within their allotted perimeter
family that comes and goes and lives their own life (minds their business)

what a concept!!

sounds way better than the friday fiesta-partying having many cars littering the street all weekend bbq'ing in the driveway with long tables and dancing like the garage is a disco and car repairs in the street neighbors I have now...............wanna switch??
Funny, this was my first thought - Yay! A neighbor who won't be bugging me.

Until you hear or see something needing the police, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:19 PM

19,037 posts, read 25,112,413 times
All I can recommend is to keep your eyes and ears open, and if--after you move into the house--you believe that those kids and/or the Mom across the street are being abused, at that point you can call the authorities.

As to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post
Every morning the father drives his kids a block down the street to the bus stop and makes them wait in the car until the bus arrives. The wife picks them up from the bus stop each afternoon
...that is standard operating procedure in my neighborhood, which absolutely confounds me.
In a semi-rural development where there has been no crime whatsoever in the 19 years that we have all lived here, I can't imagine what hazards these overprotective parents think they are shielding their children from.

So, believe it or not, that guy across the street may not be quite as...unusual...as you perceive him to be.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,997,443 times
I'm more offended by the husband and wife you are buying the house from.

They suspect abuse, have heard yelling and screaming, and not only have not called the cops, but the wife specifically told him to keep his nose out of it?

They are trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships