Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:59 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yep.

Yep.

Honestly, you are casting a LOT of negative aspersions toward the new wife that really are not based on anything concrete. You don't know for a fact that James is being so unduly influenced by her.

I would just let all that go and continue to be a friend to him in a way that is consistent, knowing that he will be less available now that he is married.
Not for a fact, perhaps. However, we both know James' personality, that he is friendly, gregarious, and used to want to hang out with us quite frequently, and the behavior of his wife, in which she actively avoids participating in any social activities with us. When James went to dinner and out to drinks to celebrate a mutual friend's 60th birthday, he picked up an unwilling Jasmine to join us at the club after we had dinner with the friend. Jasmine said about five sentences the whole three hours we were there, didn't drink anything, not even a Coke, and actually dozed off a couple of times! Now we aren't the most sophisticated people on the planet, but I don't think we're THAT dull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 02:02 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
You lost me with all the transgendered stuff. Your first sentence made it sound like YOU were the one marrying the transsexual one!

Its irrelevant, really. Utterly.

Listen OP people who get bent out of shape over other people's wedding invites lists, are the LONELIEST people of all.

Let them do it their way FGS! YOU wouldn't want THEM telling you how to conduct your own wedding, now would you?

Old 10-01-2015, 02:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
A friend of my wife and myself got married in August. She is an FTM transgender person who has been with his now wife for several years. We are somewhat close to him, a man I'll call James. We don't know his wife (I'll call her Jasmine) very well, however, since she only recently started coming around our little social group. We see James several times a year at various parties and get togethers, talk and text and such. We were very supportive when he decided to transition into a man, and according to James, Jasmine was as well. James told us he and Jasmine were getting married in our town a couple of months before the ceremony. We were happy for him and expressed our congratulations, even though none of us care much for Jasmine. She is very introverted (asocial might be a better term), and we suspect she is also controlling, but we aren't sure since James hasn't really discussed his relationship with her at all. Jasmine hasn't made any effort to be friendly with us, although we have with her. We have never said anything to James about our feelings toward Jasmine, believing if he loves her, that's all that matters. James told us it would be a family only ceremony. Our social group was put off by this since many of us had known him for decades and had supported him through all sorts of turmoil, including his transition.

A week ago we received their wedding announcement in the mail, complete with pictures of their beach ceremony and smiling faces. Although we are really happy for them, the wedding announcement offended us because it felt like they were reminding us again about not inviting us to their wedding. Everyone has a right to invite whoever they want to their wedding. James and Jasmine can exclude their friends if they want. But I don't understand the purpose of the wedding announcement. Do they want a gift? Am I getting bent out of shape for nothing? Or were they being inconsiderate?

Yes.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:05 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Not for a fact, perhaps. However, we both know James' personality, that he is friendly, gregarious, and used to want to hang out with us quite frequently, and the behavior of his wife, in which she actively avoids participating in any social activities with us. When James went to dinner and out to drinks to celebrate a mutual friend's 60th birthday, he picked up an unwilling Jasmine to join us at the club after we had dinner with the friend. Jasmine said about five sentences the whole three hours we were there, didn't drink anything, not even a Coke, and actually dozed off a couple of times! Now we aren't the most sophisticated people on the planet, but I don't think we're THAT dull.
He has to live with her, I guess.

The worst thing you can do is let her affect your feelings for him.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:15 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I wouldn't send a gift. And I wouldn't make this about myself.

Who cares if they have had penisses or vaginas and what they stick where. Just let them be happy and congratulate!

Old 10-01-2015, 02:49 PM

620 posts, read 638,322 times
Quote:
She may be autistic. She may have social anxiety. She may just not have an outgoing personality, and doesn't feel particularly engaged by her husband's friends. None of these make her a bad person.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:51 PM

My friend actually works with a transgendered married couple

He went to she>>>she went to he

they met fell in love got married

just like the rest of us (divorce imminent)

Old 10-01-2015, 02:52 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
It's starting to make more sense. Perhaps it's because I have never received a wedding announcement (only invitations,) and I have never not been invited to the wedding of a friend or family member. My perceptions may also be colored by Jasmine's decidely frosty behavior towards all of us. I suspect the fact that the guest list was "family only" was not James' idea, but Jasmine's. James is a very outgoing, gregarious person, and since meeting Jasmine, we have seen a lot less of him.
You've NEVER not been invited to a wedding? Surely someone you know has gone the JP route, family only, limited number of guests, etc. - for many reasons, i.e.: didn't want to spend the money on a wedding and use it for a home, vacation, whatever.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:00 PM

This reminds me of a Dr Phil Show where they were all screaming at each other bc the couple chose a Destination Wedding.

Love was in the Air...not

Old 10-01-2015, 03:02 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
....A week ago we received their wedding announcement in the mail, complete with pictures of their beach ceremony and smiling faces. Although we are really happy for them, the wedding announcement offended us because it felt like they were reminding us again about not inviting us to their wedding. Everyone has a right to invite whoever they want to their wedding. James and Jasmine can exclude their friends if they want. But I don't understand the purpose of the wedding announcement. Do they want a gift? Am I getting bent out of shape for nothing? Or were they being inconsiderate?
I would just take it that they went ahead and had the type of ceremony they wanted, and that the announcement is just that. The photo is like a picture postcard of the event.

You are obviously hurt, which is regrettable, but IMO you are over-reacting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships