Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 PM

284 posts, read 379,138 times

Advertisements

I used to host a thanksgiving dinner for all friends and co-workers who for whatever reason couldn't celebrate with their families. It was very rewarding to take in all these "orphans" for the day and they all seemed to love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 04:09 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
I saw a few responses from caring folks that suggested to volunteer at Thanksgiving, and some posts that the "volunteer spots" are all filled up.

Yeah, it's true. My friend works security at St. Mary's Food Bank here in Phoenix, and he tells me that every year around the holidays that they get deluged with volunteers. It's the rest of the year that they need help.

Homeless & hungry is constant....

Back to the main topic....

As a divorced guy, I've learned to establish my own 'lil traditions. I've had my share of rowdy holiday gatherings, unnecessary drama, and the stressful all day cooking marathons. I've hosted and attended many of these productions.

I tell the truth. I will not be traveling or hosting anything (insert holiday here), as I will be grilling a juicy ribeye and watching football. I will be using this day (insert holiday here again), to enjoy my favorite beer in solitude and happiness.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:45 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,037 times
Thanksgiving now days...is just DH and myself.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:52 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,973 times
I'm going to Mexico over Thanksgiving weekend!

Old 10-08-2015, 04:53 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I saw a few responses from caring folks that suggested to volunteer at Thanksgiving, and some posts that the "volunteer spots" are all filled up.

Yeah, it's true. My friend works security at St. Mary's Food Bank here in Phoenix, and he tells me that every year around the holidays that they get deluged with volunteers. It's the rest of the year that they need help.

Back to the main topic....

As a divorced guy, I've learned to establish my own 'lil traditions. I've had my share of rowdy holiday gatherings, unnecessary drama, and the stressful all day cooking marathons. I've hosted and attended many of these productions.

I tell the truth. I will not be traveling or hosting anything (insert holiday here), as I will be grilling a juicy ribeye and watching football. I will be using this day (insert holiday here again), to enjoy my favorite beer in solitude and happiness.
Hey, YAZ, I like your style. Family holidays start out all warm and fuzzy but eventually, there will be drama. I'm too old for any drama that isn't on stage.

I'll bet Norman Rockwell never had to cook that Turkey Dinner he was so fond of painting.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:06 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I'm not doing Thanksgiving with the family this year. We've had some really grotesque family Thanksgivings over the years and I just can't face it anymore.

I'm lucky though...my mom has decided that my husband is dangerous and she can't be in the same house as him (long story but he kicked her out when I was hemorrhaging...she was insisting that I take care of her and my dad and I couldn't go to the hospital until my parents went back to their house with my sister to care for them, so my husband loaded her belongings in her car and told her to go home, and she's never forgiven him). So I don't have to opt out of family gatherings anymore, I just say that my kids and I will be celebrating with my husband.

It will be interesting this year...my parents will insist on going to someone's house for Thanksgiving, and my sister (not the one who took care of them during my emergency, the one who lives nearby) has said that they can't come to her house anymore because my dad has dementia and he pees in the wrong places about 5 times an hour if someone isn't watching him constantly.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:40 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
Before anyone says "volunteer at your local soup kitchen"... I asked about volunteering at our local Soup Kitchen just today, and I was told they already have enough volunteers, but will appreciate donations. So much for that idea...
Places that serve the homeless and needy always have people that want to help suddenly on these holidays. What they don't have is people who want to help any other day.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

Bingo!

Volunteer during a regular week; that's when they really need help. Everybody suddenly feels magnanimous around the holidays, but the real work is done in the day-to-day of living.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:18 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
Big family holidays for us are like herding cats. Last year Mom said, come out for Christmas, it will be just the three of us, cook a few Cornish game hens and a big salad, watch old movies and no fuss. Sounds fine right?

OMG. By the time we get there it's a three ring circus requiring tables and service plates from the church, Mom stresses out and gets sick at the last minute (she does this at most of our big family deals) and us "girls' get stuck with a big shindig to cook for with a half stuffed turkey. Though I was planning on doing a lot of the work, I hadn't planned at all on having everything dumped in my lap.

So no. We are going out for opening of bird hunting on the week before but not on TD. We'll stay home mellow out and maybe take a drive if the weather is nice.

Pedal Wench bless you. We went to many an orphan celebration while living in Alaska. They were always fun.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:54 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
I had many many years of enjoyable Thanksgivings. It was laid back, wear PJs all day, slowly cook a fantastic dinner, my husband and son watched football, I did whatever. Very nice. My mom started celebrating with us and she really enjoyed it too. Totally relaxation. If we were in the mood, we would do some black friday shopping.

Then last year I had the brilliant idea of going home for Thanksgiving. I totally forgot about family drama and indigestion. My mom developed serious medical issues and she can no longer travel. It seemed really important to her that all of my siblings, their kids and so on to have dinner together. We are not tight knit and I cant remember the last time we were all together for a Thanksgiving. Only my mother and I have been close over the years. So I agreed as it seemed important to her.

First, the drive home (we live out of state) was horrible. We left the night before and it was icy and cold. The roads were slick and it was just a white knuckle 4 hour ride. Then the sleeping arrangements at my mother's house was uncomfortable. So we were exhausted the next day. Mom wanted to eat at a restaurant which I hate but since I live out of state I didn't want to push anyone to cook dinner at their homes and Mom's house is just too small, otherwise I would have cooked. She picked a nice place and scheduled it for around 3 pm. My brother decided he had to do something last minute and asked if we could push it back. This was totally set for over 2 months. Mom wanted to have this "perfect" dinner so she called the restaurant and asked if they could move us to a different time. Well the only slot available was 7 p.m. Way too late to eat. I was ticked but kept my mouth shut. My brother shows up late which stressed out my mother because she had already moved the reservation. He looked like a bum when he finally arrived. It was place where you want to dress a little nice.

Mom was sick the whole time because she is a diabetic and she should have eaten earlier. She was stressed which aggravated her heart condition so she was having trouble with breathing. Since we had one of the last slots of the night, you can tell the wait staff were beat at this point. No one was rude but you could tell they just wanted us to eat and leave. Our seating was odd and you only converse with the person right next to you. It wasn't enjoyable at all. The whole thing was a bust and my gosh, so expensive too! I never asked how much it was per person and when we got our portion of the bill, I almost fell out of my chair. I lied and told my mother it was really special because I know she needed to hear that. I have no idea what I will do this year but just the thought of all that drama again. ugghhhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships