Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 12:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times

Advertisements

You know when you are in a social situation at work and someone insults you (in a playful, light way), you can't come up with a witty response? I have suffered this problem my whole life. I never know what to say to people. I'm not looking to become the king of comebacks or anything but I'm so tired of sitting there looking awkward after someone does that to me. I'm not good at thinking on my feet like that. How do you handle this usually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 12:57 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
I've never been good at it either, though I have my moments. So I am not witty, nor flirty with that.

Only thing I can think of is replay the scene over in my head, then when I do think of a comeback, I log it away in memory and save it for next time, should it come up again.

Last edited by HappyRain; 10-11-2015 at 01:12 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 01:04 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Because I've been trained as an actress and Improv at that, I find I have gotten better and better at it over the years.

Usually, I "just" activate an acting personalty or mimic someone I've seen in the past for those few seconds.

Yesterday, at festival while taking pictures, someone, I hope in jest, called me something not that favorable. Since I was in costume and somewhat in character.......but not much, I just responded with a phrase of that character.

I am still working on the ultimate but it is more for directing purposes where I am playing a character who is playing me and then playing that "part". So perhaps taking it a step back, playing that character with all the answers who is then playing me.

OF COURSE, there is a slight problem.................just who is the real Tamara Savannah?

Old 10-11-2015, 01:18 PM

419 posts, read 1,238,382 times
I always have a comeback and never know what will come out of my mouth until it says it. Most of the time I can't help but laugh at what it says because it's the first time I have ever heard it. I have no idea why, but I remember my dad being extremely witty, maybe it rubbed off on me.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:21 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
I noticed that I have gotten better by relaxing and not taking it so seriously. There is no way the general public is "awesome" at stuff like this. If it is a joke at your expense, most people will see it for what it is and there is no need to be quick on your feet.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
You know when you are in a social situation at work and someone insults you (in a playful, light way), you can't come up with a witty response? I have suffered this problem my whole life. I never know what to say to people. I'm not looking to become the king of comebacks or anything but I'm so tired of sitting there looking awkward after someone does that to me. I'm not good at thinking on my feet like that. How do you handle this usually?

I watch a lot of comedy shows & stand-up comedians. That helped a LOT in becoming "sassy". I am at my best when I am relaxed & in a happy mood. Sometimes I slip but most of the time I am very quick with a comeback. I don't take them too seriously either & laugh it off most of the time. If someone is putting you down deliberately then return the insult without any guilt. This lady I used to work with in a previous job loved insulting others. One time I was going out for lunch with my colleagues & she asked me where you 'losers' are going. I smiled at her & said "its a place where smart people hang out so you wouldn't know". She never bothered me again.

I used to be a part of toastmasters & that helped a lot as well because you are being put on the spot with table topics where you have to think on your feet. One of my friends got better with comebacks when he started doing improve comedy at local cubs. Practice, practice, practice. Take leadership roles & volunteer to give presentations in front of an audience so that you feel powerful. Its all about confidence so do things that make you feel superior like dressing better, looking good & staying healthy. Calm your mind by taking some breaks & practice meditation, breathing exercises.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:20 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I always have a spontaneous comeback which usually makes the person either laugh or scratch their head, not realizing they have been insulted until much later, if ever

Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 PM

179 posts, read 149,673 times
I like to just shake me head, like I wasn't paying attention, then say, "are you talking?" Of course, I am usually saying it to my sister, but it ticks her off.

Realize when people treat you like this, it's because they are typically insecure. You could always just put them on the spot and ask, "why would you say that?" Or, "would you care to elborate?"

Old 10-12-2015, 08:01 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noslrac View Post
I like to just shake me head, like I wasn't paying attention, then say, "are you talking?" Of course, I am usually saying it to my sister, but it ticks her off.

Realize when people treat you like this, it's because they are typically insecure. You could always just put them on the spot and ask, "why would you say that?" Or, "would you care to elborate?"
You are wrong. Every time people can't keep up with others they come up with "insecure". Bigger house = insecure, sarcasm= insecure, too many women(as if that is possible) =insecure. It is usually the people that say insecure are insecure.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I'm usually good at come backs. Helped a friend with one tonight. She fell in her driveway the other day. Her glasses broke and put a cut on her nose, right between her eyes. Says she gets tired of people asking what happened. I told her to tell them simply, "You don't want to see what the other guy looks like!" lol

If there's a time when somebody gets mad and tells you to kiss their a**, just come back with "I wouldn't know which end to aim for!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships