Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 10:36 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

It sounds like she is the problem, not you. I would say that no matter which "side" either of you are on. You tried to keep it polite and neutral. She insisted on pushing it. I don't think I'd let one person sway me from a church I otherwise liked. I'd just keep my distance from her in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 11:10 AM

507 posts, read 442,928 times
Happy birthday!

My response would be something along the lines of, "Well, I'm liberal enough to appreciate that we are all entitled to our opinions, including opinions like yours. However, I do not feel that I am entitled to your opinion, bless your heart. Ooh, try some of this peach cobbler. It's delicious!"

Point being she needs to shut up and if she doesn't, here's something she can stuff in her piehole so the rest of us can enjoy the gathering in peace.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:26 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Oh, and here's another good reason to attend today: if you find the other women to be similar to her, then you'll KNOW this is not the church for you and you will feel free to find a new one!
I agree with this - either she's an outlier, in which case, you can develop friendships with other church members whose views are more similar in terms of respecting each other and staying away from contentious topics.

Or if it turns out that she's fairly representative of the community, you'll know that it's not the right fit for you.

And Happy Birthday!

Old 10-12-2015, 11:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Happy Birthday to you Sheena! Please don't let one wing nut spoil your day or your luncheon.
Try and seek out other members to sit near and have conversations with.

If your new found friend continues to get up in your grill then tell her you'd prefer to discuss religion or sex, since she mentioned those were also her favorite subjects.
I bolded the part where you're wrong. This woman is not the OP's friend, the OP referred to her properly, she is an acquaintance and nothing more.

The problem is this is a small church with a woman's group, this one is going to be a problem. She is a nut job. There are right wing nut jobs, and left wing nut jobs. It's their way or the highway.

The only thing the OP could have done differently is said "I don't follow politics at all", she did try and I give her credit by saying "it's not good to discuss politics or religion"(because that is true), but it fell on deaf ears with this woman and she continued.

OP, I have a feeling given it is such a small church your views are going to be in the minority based on what this woman said, be prepared to be getting the cold shoulder and it might be better for you to find another church.

The good news is you're new to the area and don't have much invested with these people. This woman sounds like the type that is going to run back and say "I just found out Sheena is a Democrat and a bleeding heart liberal", and the cold shoulder begins.

Next time you run into this say "I don't follow politics at all" and change the subject.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:29 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Oh, and here's another good reason to attend today: if you find the other women to be similar to her, then you'll KNOW this is not the church for you and you will feel free to find a new one!

This is very good advice. It the OP gets the cold shoulder than she knows for sure. Maybe it's just the one woman but I have a feeling it most likely isn't.

Happy Birthday OP!

Old 10-12-2015, 11:34 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
I like to talk about politics early so I know whether or not to be friends with the person.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:58 AM

507 posts, read 442,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I like to talk about politics early so I know whether or not to be friends with the person.
You can't be friends with someone you disagree with? I can see your point for romantic relationships--I'm not going to date someone whose values are diametrically opposed to mine. But while most of my friends tend to be of like mind, I can't imagine ruling someone out just because we don't agree on everything. That's entirely too narrow-minded and self-righteous.

Rudeness, yes. But not a differing opinion. That's what's wrong with this country. Too much partisanship.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:02 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:

I think I am old school - I have no trouble having friends of differing political beliefs. I tend to think that politics is something that you discuss when you know the person better, and a friendship has been established.

She also came on so strong and nasty. I did not say anything bad about her party, but she let it rip.

I can be friends with people of all backgrounds - but I can not be friends with rude people. Or people who are so obsessed with politics that it controls every aspect of their lives.

As another person said - she seems to have a screw lose.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:06 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
When you get a chance....talk to the pastor about this.

But, for today...........have a Happy Birthday!!!!!

Old 10-12-2015, 12:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I tend to think that politics is something that you discuss when you know the person better, and a friendship has been established.
That's the thing. This woman isn't "talking about politics."

She's using the topic of politics to judge whether or not you will agree with her on everything. I would see it as a quick lesson that she is not someone with whom you could actually have a legitimate political discussion.

It sounds like that's what War Beagle is doing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships