U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,967 times

Advertisements

Hey! First time poster here. I have found myself in a stressful situation and wanted some advice. I have read multiple threads here before, so I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster. (My apologies if this is the wrong section).

I'm twenty-five years old and work a full-time job. I used to live in the city, but months ago I relocated to the country (I wanted to be closer to my mother before she passed away) about four hours east of my old city.

The bad part about living in the country, for me, is that I don't drive. At all. Prior to moving here, I didn't research this. There are no cabs here, no buses, no zip car, lyft, or any sort of public transportation, so I can't depend on Uber to take me anywhere. Luckily for seven months I had secured a ride back and forth with relatives, but a month ago they had to move and so then I didn't have a ride to work. Until recently I was relying on local friends and work buddies to help me out.

Then I posted an ad on Craigslist asking for an individual or a couple to share my 2/1 home with me. In exchange for free rent, this person would drive me to and from work. All I asked is that they do that, pick up after themselves and no dogs. I got several replies, then a couple (a guy and his girlfriend) responded to my ad. I met with them three times, they came and saw my place and said they were trying to get back on their feet, had a working and reliable vehicle, etc. So I gave them the go ahead and they moved in.

First two weeks, everything goes well. I honestly liked them both and we hung out, laughed together, went out to dinner, etc. He had a job and she didn't plan on getting one; her job was just going to be getting us to work.

Then... they brought home a dog. I caved and let them keep it since it was a small dog. Honestly, if that was the worst thing to happen I could live with it...

Anyway, for three weeks now they have not been consistent with rides. Sometimes I have not been able to get ahold of either one of them to take me/pick me up from work. Or they will pop up the night before I have an early shift "Hey, we cant take you tomorrow..." Some nights they stay here at the house, some nights they don't. When they do show up to take me to work it's always that they show up in the driveway two minutes before so I have to just text them and hope they will show up. Yesterday she texted me that she couldn't come because she was working. It was extremely last minute so I had to call in and miss work. Today, they drove me to work but five minutes to getting there and they ran out of gas and had to pull over on the side of the road! Then her mother had to come get us and drive me to work. I was twenty minutes late and that's pretty unacceptable.

Then tonight I get a text from her and she says "We are out of gas and can't come get you... we can't even get back to town." She texts me this two hours before pick-up. Then I managed to fid a way home and as soon as I pull in there the car is... I come inside and they are in their room. I was so freaking ticked off...

The other day when I confronted her about needing to get consistent rides to work she said, "Well, I have to work too. My gas, car payment, oil and all that isn't free." I told her I understood that and was willing to work around her and her boyfriend's schedule. For instance, if him or her works 7am to 4 I wouldn't mind being dropped off early or picked up late. I told them that from the get go. I realize they have lives and have to have jobs and I told them that. And I think what she says has merit but at the same time, I need a ride to work. That was the whole point of them moving in. I think she wants gas money, which I wouldn't mind giving to her but at the same time, I pay all the rent and the utilities. They use my wifi and watch the cable.... I feel like I'm not asking for a lot, but I don't know :/

Tomorrow I am going to kick them out and just explain that it's not personal, just business... they are not providing what I need and aren't upholding their end of the deal.

But am I being unreasonable? I feel like free rent in exchanged for rides five days a week is pretty reasonable. I'm willing to work around someone's schedule. All this would be so much easier if I drove (I don't, as I have really bad panic attacks and a condition) or lived in a place with public transportation/ cabs... in a year I am moving back, but until then here I am.

Am I being to harsh? Am I being unreasonable in my request? Should I offer to pay gas in addition to free rent? Am I going about this all wrong?

Finding a way to work has just become so stressful

Last edited by Paper Bag Princess; 10-18-2015 at 12:08 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 11:44 PM

3,597 posts, read 4,921,434 times
No you are entitled to kick them out. But you should learn to drive, you can only depend on yourself. This is just fraught with trouble, it will never work out. Or you have to move to where you can get public transportation.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,967 times
Driving isn't an option, due to epilepsy and my occasional panic attacks. I have had a wreck before. It's just too risky. I don't want to endanger myself and others. I consider myself an independent person in all the other ways; I just don't drive. Maybe one day it will be an option, but as for now my doctor says otherwise.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:40 AM

6,319 posts, read 6,164,580 times
It's not going to work out.

If I were you I'd move back to town.

It seems crazy that you make yourself so reliant on virtual strangers. Even family will let you down without turning a hair so expecting virtual strangers to chauffeur you (admit it, that's what it is) is just not going to be suitable.

You need to organize yourself back to a place where you CAN call a cab.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:15 AM

9,448 posts, read 4,846,291 times
You better get them out quickly or you might get stuck having to evict them.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:57 AM

10,194 posts, read 7,824,248 times
I don't think you are being unreasonable but also wonder if the deal isn't working out for them. They seem passive aggressive about it. Are they spending too much on gas so that it's not a fair deal for them?

I used to have to drive someone to work everyday and let me tell you, it's the pits. Time plus gas. It really added up and I hated it.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:07 AM

3,157 posts, read 3,317,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Bag Princess View Post
Hey! First time poster here. I have found myself in a stressful situation and wanted some advice. I have read multiple threads here before, so I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster. (My apologies if this is the wrong section).

I'm twenty-five years old and work a full-time job. I used to live in the city, but months ago I relocated to the country (I wanted to be closer to my mother before she passed away) about four hours east of my old city.

The bad part about living in the country, for me, is that I don't drive. At all. Prior to moving here, I didn't research this. There are no cabs here, no buses, no zip car, lyft, or any sort of public transportation, so I can't depend on Uber to take me anywhere. Luckily for seven months I had secured a ride back and forth with relatives, but a month ago they had to move and so then I didn't have a ride to work. Until recently I was relying on local friends and work buddies to help me out.

Then I posted an ad on Craigslist asking for an individual or a couple to share my 2/1 home with me. In exchange for free rent, this person would drive me to and from work. All I asked is that they do that, pick up after themselves and no dogs. I got several replies, then a couple (a guy and his girlfriend) responded to my ad. I met with them three times, they came and saw my place and said they were trying to get back on their feet, had a working and reliable vehicle, etc. So I gave them the go ahead and they moved in.

First two weeks, everything goes well. I honestly liked them both and we hung out, laughed together, went out to dinner, etc. He had a job and she didn't plan on getting one; her job was just going to be getting us to work.

Then... they brought home a dog. I caved and let them keep it since it was a small dog. Honestly, if that was the worst thing to happen I could live with it...

Anyway, for three weeks now they have not been consistent with rides. Sometimes I have not been able to get ahold of either one of them to take me/pick me up from work. Or they will pop up the night before I have an early shift "Hey, we cant take you tomorrow..." Some nights they stay here at the house, some nights they don't. When they do show up to take me to work it's always that they show up in the driveway two minutes before so I have to just text them and hope they will show up. Yesterday she texted me that she couldn't come because she was working. It was extremely last minute so I had to call in and miss work. Today, they drove me to work but five minutes to getting there and they ran out of gas and had to pull over on the side of the road! Then her mother had to come get us and drive me to work. I was twenty minutes late and that's pretty unacceptable.

Then tonight I get a text from her and she says "We are out of gas and can't come get you... we can't even get back to town." She texts me this two hours before pick-up. Then I managed to fid a way home and as soon as I pull in there the car is... I come inside and they are in their room. I was so freaking ticked off...

The other day when I confronted her about needing to get consistent rides to work she said, "Well, I have to work too. My gas, car payment, oil and all that isn't free." I told her I understood that and was willing to work around her and her boyfriend's schedule. For instance, if him or her works 7am to 4 I wouldn't mind being dropped off early or picked up late. I told them that from the get go. I realize they have lives and have to have jobs and I told them that. And I think what she says has merit but at the same time, I need a ride to work. That was the whole point of them moving in. I think she wants gas money, which I wouldn't mind giving to her but at the same time, I pay all the rent and the utilities. They use my wifi and watch the cable.... I feel like I'm not asking for a lot, but I don't know :/

Tomorrow I am going to kick them out and just explain that it's not personal, just business... they are not providing what I need and aren't upholding their end of the deal.

But am I being unreasonable? I feel like free rent in exchanged for rides five days a week is pretty reasonable. I'm willing to work around someone's schedule. All this would be so much easier if I drove (I don't, as I have really bad panic attacks and a condition) or lived in a place with public transportation/ cabs... in a year I am moving back, but until then here I am.

Am I being to harsh? Am I being unreasonable in my request? Should I offer to pay gas in addition to free rent? Am I going about this all wrong?

Finding a way to work has just become so stressful
It's insane to keep them for even five more minutes. They are living FREE. The ride to work and back is a fraction of an actual rent cost. OK, just saw that you can't drive. In that case, you need to move to where you can get to work without relying on other people. Or get real tenants that pay real rent, and use the rent money for a car service of some sort.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:13 AM

18,787 posts, read 19,700,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It's insane to keep them for even five more minutes. They are living FREE. The ride to work and back is a fraction of an actual rent cost. OK, just saw that you can't drive. In that case, you need to move to where you can get to work without relying on other people. Or get real tenants that pay real rent, and use the rent money for a car service of some sort.
I agree.

Move to where you can get to work easily.

Or get real, rent paying tenants (if you need the money) and pay someone a real salary to drive you to and from work (plus have a list of back-up people). I bet that there is a SAHM, or a retired adult or a reliable college student or a regular Uber driver who would love to make an extra amount of cash/income every single week.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:19 AM

810 posts, read 687,337 times
Evict them ( good luck with that ) . Move closer to your work . Find an alternate mode of transportation .

Old 10-18-2015, 08:28 AM

13,510 posts, read 15,373,517 times
It was a business agreement, and they aren't keeping up their end. Kick them out, and be sure you get the keys and perhaps you might want to change the front door lock.

Your first mistake was the dog. NO DOG, means NO DOG, and you backed down.

There should have been only one dog in that house, amigo: you, the top dog.

P.S. - Learn to drive for Pete's sake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships