Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:59 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA1991 View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I'm not sure where to put my question. Anyway, today in my sociology class, my professor decided to call a few students up in front of the class and asked them to name as many students as they could. Everyone just named who they knew except one guy. He decided to points to everyone and name them. I'll start out by saying that I'm EXTREMELY shy and I have social anxiety. I don't speak up in class so I'm not surprised that no one named me. Anyway, when the one student got to me, he said "who cares who they are?!" and moved on quickly to the person next to me. That made some people laughed; one person in the row in front of me laughed right in my face. I obviously failed to see the humor in it. As someone that suffers from depression and social anxiety, it hurt and made me cry. I'll admit that I'm very sensitive after being bullied and laughed at for most of my life. I sometimes feel like no one cares about me so his comment hurt. I didn't say anything and left class a few minutes later. My question is, how do you handle rude comments and should I have said something in class? Sorry if this is long lol
they? Do you have two heads?

I would have laughed with him and the rest of the class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 11:13 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Go full on. Take packet of stickon name tags and sharpie. Put your name on one and slap it on, pass the pen& name tags to person next to and say fill this out. Even if no one does, you have spoken.

Sometimes you need flip it right back. Empower yourself. Do it.

And look online and see if there is support group in your area for people with social anxiety.... you are not the least bit alone. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:25 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
what ever he says doesnt matter

only what you think does.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:47 PM

55 posts, read 34,844 times
Thanks for the advice everyone! I do feel better, especially when I don't think about it lol I'd quote everyone and respond individually but I don't want to make a million posts in a row. I did email my professor explaining what happened and why I left class. He hasn't responded yet. I go back to class tomorrow and I'm not really looking forward to it. It makes me feel bad that people think I don't matter. It's always been hard for me to make friends so it gets kind of lonely at school. I would like to make some friends but it's hard. I do see a psychologist and that does help.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:19 PM

908 posts, read 961,339 times
First of all, I'm sorry that happened to u. I would feel hurt angry and embarrassed. Actually yesterday someone said something rude about me at a company meeting to her friend. For a moment I was pissed but then realized how pathetic this woman was as a person. I even smiled at her later and she looked uncomfortable. My advice is realize what this jackass did was rude but your response can be to introduce yourself or even say hi to him. It won't change him but it might help u.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:24 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
I said it earlier today in another thread, and I'll say it again:

WHAT A BUNCH OF ARSE HOLES!

Feel free to show this to them. Tell them to study it.

And OP, hang in there. Not all human beings are arse holes and think alike.

Last edited by picklejuice; 10-21-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 05:40 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJA1991 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone! I do feel better, especially when I don't think about it lol I'd quote everyone and respond individually but I don't want to make a million posts in a row. I did email my professor explaining what happened and why I left class. He hasn't responded yet. I go back to class tomorrow and I'm not really looking forward to it. It makes me feel bad that people think I don't matter. It's always been hard for me to make friends so it gets kind of lonely at school. I would like to make some friends but it's hard. I do see a psychologist and that does help.
You did good. The guy who was an ass is no one to you, but what he did was part of a larger groups cooperation. I'm sure there were some quiet students who now think badly of him. I would have. Sounds like you aren't in high school anymore and the guy still thinks he is.

A line was crossed and you left. You contacted the professor. So you did what you could, short of stooping to his level. If someone were to be rude to you one on one, you should call them out and end communications, at least for a while. Otherwise you are putting yourself in the position for it to happen regularly. If it were a stranger, such as a driver being a jerk and flipping you off or yelling something at you out the window, then who really cares. Most of the above has happened to everyone. You just have to do something to protect yourself from making it a regular occurrence, making you life about being put down or walk all over. And that you did.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
First of all, I'm sorry that happened to u. I would feel hurt angry and embarrassed. Actually yesterday someone said something rude about me at a company meeting to her friend. For a moment I was pissed but then realized how pathetic this woman was as a person. I even smiled at her later and she looked uncomfortable. My advice is realize what this jackass did was rude but your response can be to introduce yourself or even say hi to him. It won't change him but it might help u.
I'm sorry that someone said something rude to you. I don't understand why some people feel the need to be rude. I like your advice and I'll think about it the next time if someone is rude to me again. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
You did good. The guy who was an ass is no one to you, but what he did was part of a larger groups cooperation. I'm sure there were some quiet students who now think badly of him. I would have. Sounds like you aren't in high school anymore and the guy still thinks he is.

A line was crossed and you left. You contacted the professor. So you did what you could, short of stooping to his level. If someone were to be rude to you one on one, you should call them out and end communications, at least for a while. Otherwise you are putting yourself in the position for it to happen regularly. If it were a stranger, such as a driver being a jerk and flipping you off or yelling something at you out the window, then who really cares. Most of the above has happened to everyone. You just have to do something to protect yourself from making it a regular occurrence, making you life about being put down or walk all over. And that you did.
Thanks. 👍 As I mentioned earlier, I've been teased a lot and I never knew how to speak up for myself. I want to learn how to do that so people won't walk all over me.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:14 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I feel very sorry for you. That truly sucks what happened. Some people are just insensitive to someone else's feelings.

I think the teacher should have stood up and centered the idiot out. THEN the teacher should have asked you your name.

Going up to this guy is going to take a lot of guts and sweat, but that might be the best thing you could do. Tell him he embarrassed you in class, then tell him your name, then turn and walk away with your chin up. He might really think about what he did and apologize afterwards. I hope so, but if he doesn't, maybe he'll think about not doing something like that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships