Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 11:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Doesn't seem like a biggie. Maybe her feet hurt. Maybe she's tired. Maybe she gets sick of having to walk very where.
Then maybe she should buy her own car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
I know the OP isn't obligated. That isn't my point. I don't understand what the objection is to doing something nice for someone at no expense (time, energy, gas, etc) to yourself.
Is there no expense to owning a car? Let's see, the cost of buying it, the cost of insuring it, the cost of registering it, the cost of gas, the cost of maintenance......

all that this co-worker expects to get the benefits of - for free.

If somebody wants the benefits of car ownership, then they need to pay for it. Or take the bus, or pay for a taxi, or walk. It's not the responsibility of the OP, who pays for everything that's involved in car ownership, to make life easier for this person, who is also employed, yet chooses not to budget for a car.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:49 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
Its just socially awkward to decline when you are heading that way idk

Okay your choice to continue to be annoyed then.....carry on

Old 10-25-2015, 04:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Well, I'm going to presume that YOU never do anything nice for anyone except yourself. That's what your answers tells me about you.
Did you mean for your statement to present as rude?

Old 10-25-2015, 06:19 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
I just don't see anything wrong with walking 10 minutes. I walk much longer distance than that even though I have car.(I'm very active).I would understand if it was a case of emergency or if she was stranded. I used to walk a 15 minute walk every Sunday morning to the nearest buss station in winter time, when it was -35

It just annoys me when someone just want a ride just because they don't want to walk lol. I just hate driving people in general unless in emergency or occasional situation
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
Like I said before, it may be painful to her, and you just don't know it. Sure, she walks other places, probably because she has to. But it would be nice if she had a way to lessen the amount she has to walk, even if just by 10 minutes.

If that's the only reason you've got, then yes, I think you're being petty.
I have severe rheumatoid arthritis but on my job I never let anyone know that walking is difficult for me. I may be wincing in pain & need to take pain pills to get through the day and occasionally even start to tear up or even start to actually cry from the pain in the privacy of a bathroom stall or in an empty room but I never let anyone know how difficult it is for me.

BTW, many nights, after a long day of work, I have to literarily crawl up the stairs on my hands and knees or sort of slither up like a snake because I am unable to walk those extra few steps in my home to get to my bedroom to go to bed.

So do not assume that because you are able to walk an extra 10 minutes everyone else is able to do that. Or because she "walks at work" walking is easy or painless for her.

------

If you don't want to give her a ride don't give her a ride but do not try to justify it because you don't "see anything wrong with walking an extra 10 minutes".

PS. Please remember your actions and your attitude if something happens to you in the future and you need a little bit of extra help & compassion from a co-worker or friend.

Karma is a b****, so I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future, when you need a little help or kindness, someone like you turns you down.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-25-2015 at 07:01 AM..

Old 10-25-2015, 07:30 AM

24,524 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
I just don't see anything wrong with walking 10 minutes. I walk much longer distance than that even though I have car.(I'm very active).I would understand if it was a case of emergency or if she was stranded. I used to walk a 15 minute walk every Sunday morning to the nearest buss station in winter time, when it was -35

It just annoys me when someone just want a ride just because they don't want to walk lol. I just hate driving people in general unless in emergency or occasional situation
And my grandmother walked to school barefoot in the snow. You do not want to give someone a ride when it is on your way. Ok! Your car, your time, your response to your coworker. Are you petty? In my eyes absolutely. You may need someone's help one day be it at work or in your personal live.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:39 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
I remember when I was in college. No car, and never had hopes of having a car. My college was on a very large campus and a bit isolated if you wanted to do any interesting "off campus" stuff.

Had two good friends (roomates Crystal and Amy) who lived on my dorm floor. Crystal had a car, Amy didn't. Crystal strongly disliked giving people rides anywhere, even if it was on her way, and never helped with the big things (ex. grocery shopping, pick up from airport). No excuses. Just said "no". Amy and I were a bit ?jealous, resentful. We were kids. Amy said that if she had a car, she would definitely be more helpful.

Jump ahead. Amy got a boyfriend... and soon after, her own car. But she hid it from her "friends" for almost 1 year.

Once she had a car, she realized she didn't want to give people rides anywhere either. Except her boyfriend, I guess!

Old 10-25-2015, 07:42 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
And my grandmother walked to school barefoot in the snow. You do not want to give someone a ride when it is on your way. Ok! Your car, your time, your response to your coworker. Are you petty? In my eyes absolutely. You may need someone's help one day be it at work or in your personal live.
Was thinking the same thing with many posters here. Good grief wouldnt count on them for much of anything. Not like the driver cant say no.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:59 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Seriously...every time I visit the non-romantic relationships forum, I find myself shaking my head in disbelief. Sure, this woman could walk. That isn't the point. The point is...uhhh...why not just do something nice for someone? It's painfully easy. Doing simple favors for people isn't enabling and asking for simple favors isn't freeloading. Every detail of it doesn't need to be analyzed and overthought.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:14 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Another case of first world problems!

Old 10-25-2015, 09:39 AM

576 posts, read 823,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have severe rheumatoid arthritis but on my job I never let anyone know that walking is difficult for me. I may be wincing in pain & need to take pain pills to get through the day and occasionally even start to tear up or even start to actually cry from the pain in the privacy of a bathroom stall or in an empty room but I never let anyone know how difficult it is for me.

BTW, many nights, after a long day of work, I have to literarily crawl up the stairs on my hands and knees or sort of slither up like a snake because I am unable to walk those extra few steps in my home to get to my bedroom to go to bed.

So do not assume that because you are able to walk an extra 10 minutes everyone else is able to do that. Or because she "walks at work" walking is easy or painless for her.

------

If you don't want to give her a ride don't give her a ride but do not try to justify it because you don't "see anything wrong with walking an extra 10 minutes".

PS. Please remember your actions and your attitude if something happens to you in the future and you need a little bit of extra help & compassion from a co-worker or friend.

Karma is a b****, so I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future, when you need a little help or kindness, someone like you turns you down.
Just to let you know, my job is very physical not a desk job.We're on our feet the whole day.She has no pain that I know of.

I didn't always have car all my adult life.I had to walk everywhere and relay on public transportion.I had people who offered me a ride on occassion but I never once ask for a ride or expect anyone to drive me.There is difference being a need for ride in emergency situations than just wanting a ride on regular basis because you don't want to walk that extra 10 minutes. Like really?

There are other ways to get around without a car, walking, public transportion , taxi etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships