Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:12 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Here is my dilemma:

I met this friend nearly 7 years ago in my Assemblies of God's church youth group. Over the years, we've become better and better friends. A lot of it was our things we did that were church related. Three years ago I moved out of state and our friendship kind of stalled for a year or two. Me and him kind of started getting tight again this year, when I moved back. We even went about getting a place together but that didn't work out. However, our friendship has never been better. When we need anything from each other or just want to do something on Sunday we text/call each other.

The problem? He has grown into a stronger practicing Christian and is really serious about walking his Christian lifestyle out. I've gone the opposite way however. I really can't say I live a religious life. I would place my beliefs closer to Deism. As in I believe there is a God, but I don't do religion or spiritual things, at this point. I'm in the party hard mindset now, which does not mesh well with 9am church services. I am becoming more liberal by the day. I am worried that I may fall away from one of very few people in my life who I've been able to count on and have a like mind with.

I've kind of struggled with my lack of religious belief the last few months. I have not really told anyone because I fear being judged since I've filled my inner circle with Christians and I do not really want to lose great people in my life, just because I believe differently than them.

I accept that some friends are going to come and go in my life as I get older and see the world. Do I have to accept the risk of losing this solid friendship as "just life"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Here is my dilemma:

I met this friend nearly 7 years ago in my Assemblies of God's church youth group. Over the years, we've become better and better friends. A lot of it was our things we did that were church related. Three years ago I moved out of state and our friendship kind of stalled for a year or two. Me and him kind of started getting tight again this year, when I moved back. We even went about getting a place together but that didn't work out. However, our friendship has never been better. When we need anything from each other or just want to do something on Sunday we text/call each other.

The problem? He has grown into a stronger practicing Christian and is really serious about walking his Christian lifestyle out. I've gone the opposite way however. I really can't say I live a religious life. I would place my beliefs closer to Deism. As in I believe there is a God, but I don't do religion or spiritual things, at this point. I'm in the party hard mindset now, which does not mesh well with 9am church services. I am becoming more liberal by the day. I am worried that I may fall away from one of very few people in my life who I've been able to count on and have a like mind with.

I've kind of struggled with my lack of religious belief the last few months. I have not really told anyone because I fear being judged since I've filled my inner circle with Christians and I do not really want to lose great people in my life, just because I believe differently than them.

I accept that some friends are going to come and go in my life as I get older and see the world. Do I have to accept the risk of losing this solid friendship as "just life"?

Actually D, if he's a real solid friend you won't necessarily lose him.

If nothing else, he'll probably hang in there hoping to see you "turn things around" and come back towards the Christian values you shared at one point. (and whether you believe it or not, you might)

However, you and he might drift a bit since you aren't exactly enjoying the same kinds of recreation and socializing anymore.

I'd just be honest with him.

Tell him how much his friendship means, and that you have concerns your lifestyles are heading in different directions that you think might end your friendship, though that is not what you want to have happen.

If you are true friends you can weather this and find a way to accept each other for who you both are.

Best of luck.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:58 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
You said the main thing you had in common was the church-related things you did together, Maybe without that common bond, there just isn't enough there to keep the friendship going.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:13 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You said the main thing you had in common was the church-related things you did together, Maybe without that common bond, there just isn't enough there to keep the friendship going.
One big thing I should have mentioned that bonded us also is football. We are major NFL and Madden fans. Just yesterday we watched the 1pm games at his place and I beat him for the first time ever in Madden. Still is that enough to maintain a close friendship I wonder.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:13 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Friendships come and go. And sometimes, they just wane for a while. After all, you are in your early- to mid-20s, right? That's when you try on a lot of different things on for size, including your beliefs.

I think the hardest thing for many to accept is that one is not fully oneself until five years after graduation. Your tastes, attitudes, and convictions may change radically during the first few years away from the bubble of school. And your choice of friends may be among them. Of all my friends I had in high school and college, I'm still tight with only a couple. The friends I had during this time grew in a different direction than I did. Yet I still try to stay in touch. Facebook is pretty cool that way.

As far as your friend is concerned, realize that he is going through the same evolution as a person. His own beliefs will likely change shape when the black-and-white theology of his youth meets with the reality of the real world. Hey, I'm a person of faith, but I'm not in-your-face about it. Maybe it's because I'm Episcopalian and that's just how we roll. Or he might become quite rigid in his approach to such matters. There's just no way of knowing.

Funny thing is, I actually was surprised to find myself in my twenties moving more towards faith rather than away from it, while some of Bible-beater acquaintances moved away from it once they got away from the tutelage of their parents.

So stay in touch because, hey, you never know. Your friend is most likely a work in progress, too. And good relationships in life are always something to be nurtured, even if you are not as close as you once were. For a person like your friend knows the person you once were, which is really worth having in life.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Here is my dilemma:

Don't sweat it. Real friendship should never be conditional, especially when it comes to something ridiculous like religion. Never sacrifice your core beliefs for anyone. A real friend would understand that. Organized religion is why the world is so effed up to begin with.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 09-23-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
It wasn't me that changed but I stopped hanging out with my best friend when I was a kid because he became a weird Jew for Jesus, those guys are loons. That's just the breaks sometimes. You have to let go of people when they go nutty nuts on you lest you be dragged into their mire.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Don't sweat it. Real friendship should never be conditional, especially when it comes to something ridiculous like religion. Never sacrifice your core beliefs for anyone. A real friend would understand that. Organized religion is why the world is so effed up to begin with.
The world would still be screwed up without religion. So many people think "without religion, the planet would be perfect." Thanks for trying to derail this post so you can parrot die-hard atheist views.

Anyway, I choose not to be friends with extremists, whether they are atheists, Christians, Jews, etc. So I have not lost a friendship because of religion. I can't stand fundamentalists of any kind.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
The world would still be screwed up without religion. So many people think "without religion, the planet would be perfect." Thanks for trying to derail this post so you can parrot die-hard atheist views.

Anyway, I choose not to be friends with extremists, whether they are atheists, Christians, Jews, etc. So I have not lost a friendship because of religion. I can't stand fundamentalists of any kind.
Personally, I can love my friends regardless of their beliefs, or lack of them, as long as they are people with character, heart and compassion - EVEN IF they are fundamentalists.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:04 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times
A good friend will respect your decision. Just hope he doesn't turn his religion into a clique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships