Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:55 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I do know that there is a tremendous amount of churches in our area that do bounce houses and trunk or treat activities on Halloween night and these places are packed. It seems a lot of parents are avoiding the neighborhoods in favor of the organized activities.
"Trunk or treat"?
Is that where people give out candy from the back of their cars at a parking lot?

These organized church/public places activities seem like a safe bet.
Maybe next year, organize an all-ages, bicycle ride that hits up different ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 07:03 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
It's always patchy. When you're out you naturally gravitate to the streets/houses with lots of decorations. At a corner if there's a street that has a couple of porch lights vs a street with lots of decorations you turn towards the decorations.

Best haul we ever got was walking up a steep hill. No one else did that so everyone gave handfuls of candy.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:07 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Our small local mall has Halloween trick or treat for kids from 4:00 to 6:00 (and hopefully an incentive for mom/dad to shop).

Old 11-01-2015, 07:17 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quoted post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygym...=RDygymejkA_CM

Very long gone. The humor above is from the 70's and that was only a short of what was actually shown on TV. To fill in, it didn't take long before the neighborhood parent watch descended on the Conehead household to question them about the beer and the fried chicken embryos.

Ie, the transcript:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/77/77dconeheads.phtml

Now, more personally,

A, B, and C.

A: This was really the first year of my adult life handing out candy when I was not at my mother's house....and we are talking over a quarter of a century. In the past 25 years, I have been in apartments and didn't have a door bell, so I rather discouraged such, one way or another.

B: I wasn't planning to be in town last night, so I had to go out to get candy. As I was driving back around noon time, I saw that some kind of festival was going on in the town square, with parents leading around children in costume. So perhaps the treaters are at the same number but at different times.

C: They hit my house last night from about 6:30 till 9:00, say about 10-12 times. That's a decent number in my book.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-03-2015 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-01-2015, 07:37 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
I don't know what happened here...
but we got THREE times the usual amount of kids.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:45 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
"Trunk or treat"?
Is that where people give out candy from the back of their cars at a parking lot?

These organized church/public places activities seem like a safe bet.
Maybe next year, organize an all-ages, bicycle ride that hits up different ones.
Mostly done at the Churches in a very organized fashion. It is really big down here in our area. I had never seen this up north.........with that being said, if Halloween falls on a Sunday in the next county over they officially move it back to the day before (Saturday).

Check the link out below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xa8taoiUpwA

Old 11-01-2015, 08:13 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,812,265 times
We had 50% more kids coming to the door this year (75 v 50 for last year). I chalked it up to good weather and Halloween hitting on a Saturday.

Bill

Old 11-01-2015, 08:32 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
We had nobody ring the bell last night. We live in a new area with just a handful of houses. It appears that the few families with smaller kids all went out for the evening in their cars and nobody else ventured into the neighborhood.

Now what to do with this gigantic bag of candies?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:35 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
I had around 75, with about 35 descending on me during the first fifteen minutes. In addition to the 20 kids who live on my street, there were children whom I'd never seen, accompanied by parents who had driven them into my neighborhood. After the first hour (official hours were 6-8 here), it became windy and started to drizzle - a dark and mildly stormy night. The kids kept coming steadily until around 7:30, then it slowed down, with the last arriving shortly after 8:00, at which point I shut my door. I did leave the porch light on for visibility and safety on a dark night.

One neighbor had a beer party for parents just prior to and throughout trick-or-treating, so many young parents had a beer cup in one hand and a hand-held device for texting in the other, both of which seemed to draw more attention than their kids going door-to-door. One boy cut across my grass and announced that his father had said that was okay. Dad was nowhere in sight. I was okay with it, but it was not Dad's decision to make!

Not my idea of how to celebrate the holiday when kids are around... (Yes, I do sound curmudgeonly. But it seems to me that such parties would be better held on Friday nights and should be adult-only).

Best (i.e., most creative, preferably home-made) costumes were a group of four ten-year-olds dressed as the Four Seasons (the natural seasons, not the musical group), and Odette from "Swan Lake", a little ballerina in an ethereal white feathery tutu. There was also a stunning "Phoenix" from Harry Potter: an eleven-year-old in a long gold lame gown with a train, a matching headdress, and wings. No flames evident, thankfully. The girls outshone the boys, costume-wise, this year, although a couple of little guys were dressed as bananas, which was pretty cool. Most were Ninja warriors of various kinds, superheros, and zombies or killers - a trend I wish would go away.

Surprisingly, many seemed delighted to get candy corn in lieu of chocolate. Maybe because I told them it could be considered a vegetable, since it was "corn"...

Old 11-01-2015, 08:36 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
I saw and had none in my building. I was walking through the neighborhood at 9:00 PM so maybe It was too late?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships